QuakeC IDE

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Plumb

QuakeC IDE

Post by Plumb »

Is there an IDE for QuakeC?

I've been whittling the hours away recently developing a small game in C#. However, I didn't realise that during this time my ability to type a line of code longer than four characters was being destroyed by Microsoft's IDE. It now causes me great pain to type an entire keyword as I expect a small box to pop up showing me the syntax and the next semicolon I type to instantly fill in that keyword for me.

So, if there isn't already an IDE with code highlighting, context sensitive popup syntax prompts and autocomplete, why doesn't somebody make one?

I've started writing one. As much as I'd love to just throw up a download link during QExpo, I doubt it'll be ready for then, so I'll probably just open-source the whole thing and put it on SourceForge. However, I want to get the basics down before I do.

My aim is to make QC that little bit friendlier to the noob. I know we're all pretty much stuck in our ways of working when it comes to Quake mod developing but an IDE that's relatively friendly to use could probably help a few more people get into Quake coding.
Urre

Post by Urre »

I think there was one, but I doubt it featured autocomplete, just highlighting.
I was once a Quake modder
Entar

Post by Entar »

One that I know of is QCide by Justin Thyme - http://tremor.quakedev.com/qcide.html

If I remember correctly, it does not have auto-complete, but I used to use it for QC and it worked pretty nicely.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

the gui version of fteqcc is an ide: http://www.fteqw.com/
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I consider things like autocomplete to be lazy. and I don't like feeling lazy when I code. I don't use an IDE... I use windows explorer, and win32pad for zeh typing.

no syntax highlighting, for I know if a line is wrong or not
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

I use UltraEdit, since you can add a "tool" (so 1 button compiles which output is in a list box like vs). I also added QC syntax to its "Wordfile".
Not to mention UltraEdit has a "project system" already in it to keep track of all your files, and it also has auto complete which works by just remembering variable names when you type them.
Its customizable enough to make an ide of it.

and for quick edits I use "notepad2" (I replaced windows notepad with it), since its just as lite but has a bit more features.

Syntax problems should be easy to fix (compiler complains)...
Electro

Post by Electro »

GiffE: kickass, i use UltraEdit and have never bothered to set any of that up, able to hook me up with the files?
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

So, if there isn't already an IDE with code highlighting, context sensitive popup syntax prompts and autocomplete, why doesn't somebody make one?
Working on one myself. Slow going because I keep getting distracted.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I used UltraEdit that very same way for a long time when I was playing with qc tutorials and code for fun... I even had frikqcc plugged into it as a tool/compiler making it a full fledged Quake IDE. Open a project, do whatever to the code then hit the tools-->Frik compile and it would and capture Frikqcc's ouput to UltraEdit's bottom plane. Love that you could click on the errors or warning messages in the plane and the file would open up right to where it was pointing...

..I prefer UEStudio now, but its just a more IDE minded version of UltraEdit...

GiffE wrote:I use UltraEdit, since you can add a "tool" (so 1 button compiles which output is in a list box like vs). I also added QC syntax to its "Wordfile".
Not to mention UltraEdit has a "project system" already in it to keep track of all your files, and it also has auto complete which works by just remembering variable names when you type them.
Its customizable enough to make an ide of it.

and for quick edits I use "notepad2" (I replaced windows notepad with it), since its just as lite but has a bit more features.

Syntax problems should be easy to fix (compiler complains)...
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I use a text editor called EditPlus, which has a qc plugin for highlighting.
Apathy Now!
Plumb

Post by Plumb »

Yeah, writing a fully fledged IDE from scratch seems kinda pointless. There are enough tools out there that are customizable enough to handle QuakeC without any problems.

I might try to find a good one, set it up, then release the config with a quick guide online for others to use. Why reinvent the wheel?
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Because it's fun to do.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Why reinvent the wheel?
The what?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Quest

Post by Quest »

I think he's talking about this:
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

What does the word "wheel" actually refer to, here, in this picture? The hoods? The curtains? Oh, no, wait... the notepads! I see the point, we don't need to reinvent notepads, because Windows comes with one already!
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!