Mulling the return of Turtle Modding, with a twist...

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Harb

Mulling the return of Turtle Modding, with a twist...

Post by Harb »

Since the 24/48 hour SpeedModding events I've been running have seemed quite popular, I've been thinking of whether it would be possible to revamp the idea of turtle modding a little too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, turtle modding was generally 24/48 hours, and speedmodding was 1/2 hours.

As with SpeedModding, I think that a more lesurely pace might help the event, thus I've been thinking about running a TurtleMod event that would run for one whole week, with the task at hand being similar in size or slightly larger than the SpeedMods that I've been organising.

The trick is, these new-generation Turtlemods would be 'progressive', so each week's Turtlemod task would be added to the previous week's progs.dat. In addition, I would make a new map every week so that the ongoing mods could integrate with a brand new map set ala the speedmods I've been running.

As with the speedmods, the maps would be filled with 'blank' entities with names like 'turtlemodent1', 'turtlemodent2' etc, and through QC the coder can populate the levels with the use of these entities and devise challenges for the player.

Thus, we could see something similar to:

Week 1 : Create a new set of weapons, First map released, make use of the custom entities.

Week 2 : Create a new enemy, second map released, make use of level 2's new entities.

Week 3 : Add new features to the game that are used by monsters or players, like stamina, skill, morale or economy etc, third map released.

Week 4 : Add a Boss monster, fourth map released.

etc..

I'd probably put a better structure for the modding process into effect, but I think the basic idea is sound.

I thought the Turtlemod could run for four/six weeks, by which time we'd have quite a few moderately large and varied TC's completed.

Ideally I'd like to provide a selection of weapon & monster models for the mod too with variations from medievil to technological, which the QC coder can choose to implement from (or not) depending on what he wants his mod to be like.

With a bit of luck maybe I can rope in some other mappers/modelers to help create custom content too.

==

So tell me what ya think... would it be a bad idea or good? Would not enough people stay the course for four/six weeks? SP or DM Arena/Tourney? What map style for the maps? Would you rather a different person to oversee the event?

Anyways, enough adverts, on with the show...
><)))'>
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Progressive turtle-modding? Sounds awesome :D
i should not be here
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

silly Harb, having awesome blossom ideas

i say do it. if not... then i hate you. a lot.
Harb

Post by Harb »

If I do it, then I'm gonna need ppl to sign up here in advance, I figure it'll be worth it with three/four or so modders..

So, who's for Turtlemodding?
><)))'>
r00k

Post by r00k »

well, oddly i seem to read messages the day after the mod contest starts, so how about making the turtlemod time frame on a week basis?

since most mods are really made in months, it would still show a deal of talent to provide something within a week
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

That's what harb is suggesting :roll:
Apathy Now!