The Ascension of Vigil

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
r00k

Post by r00k »

i might be nieve on this subject of the pop.lmp but cant u create your own .lmp file and name it pop.lmp??!
i mean its not like they put a patent on the crc of that file...?

or is this completely silly, cause i thought the engine just precached that file if found... yadda yadda blah blah blah. ;P
r00k

Post by r00k »

also dunno the legalities but i modified my source to this

//R00k Quake Is Fargen GLP'd-- get off the "purchase old sh!t " bandwagon!
//always allow registered games! TOTAL CONVERSIONS ETC!!!!

void COM_CheckRegistered (void)
{
Cvar_Set ("cmdline", com_cmdline);
Cvar_Set ("registered", "1");
/*
FILE *h;

COM_FOpenFile ("gfx/pop.lmp", &h);
if (h)
{
Cvar_Set ("cmdline", com_cmdline);
Cvar_Set ("registered", "1");
fclose (h);
}
*/
}
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

There is no way to make your own pop.lmp replacement. The file has to be exactly the way it is to work - and if you want to have some fun, open pop.lmp in a text editor - it's an ASCII Quake logo.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Perhaps if the engine (DP, isnt it?) were to allow replacement of pop.lmp, or didn't even check for it anymore?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

according to FrikaC, pop.lmp is part of the GPL so there isn't any problem. I'm pretty sure the ASCII Quake logo appeared in Quake's engine source.. so yeah, not like Id even cares if we used it illegally anyways; although I wouldn't like that. (They could of shut down, or told me to change TAoV easily by now anyways...)
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

If pop.lmp is required in this form by the engine, and it's proprietary, then technically it would be next to impossible for modders to make anything standalone legally. Good to know it's GPL'd. :)

When I made Battle Mech stand-alone, I accidentally left some stuff in there that didn't belong. Someday, I keep telling myself, someday I'll go back to that mod and clean it up a little. It's so hard getting all the images and everything replaced, let alone the QC stuff like sounds, models, etc.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Technically pop.lmp isn't GPL, but the source to it is, as it comes with the engine source. To be 100% legal you'd need to recompile it from the source, though since the resulting file would be identical to the original pop.lmp except for the creation date, I really don't think it's worth worrying about. If you were trying to sell a standalone mod, then it's something you'd really have to do.
Apathy Now!
Tei

Post by Tei »

r00k wrote:i might be nieve on this subject of the pop.lmp but cant u create your own .lmp file and name it pop.lmp??!
i mean its not like they put a patent on the crc of that file...?

or is this completely silly, cause i thought the engine just precached that file if found... yadda yadda blah blah blah. ;P
I think its ok to change the engine to avoid the need of load it.

And about hacking. I think its posible to hack a fake pop.lmp that pass some CRC32 checking. Because CRC32 its not that smart. For god sake, Its not md5!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

pop.lmp isn't GPLed. It's one of their gfx files, and you know the graphics, sound, etc. aren't under the GPL.

Any file that is an exact match to the pop.lmp would probably be illegal as well. Your best bet is to either edit pop.lmp and "registered" cvar right out of the engine, or try something crazy like Tei suggested... but good luck on that :D
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Harb

Post by Harb »

I don't see why Mauve's suggestion of compiling the pop.lmp found in the GPL Quake source release wouldn't be ok... the file would work with the engine, and the creation date would prove it was a new version, no?
><)))'>
Spike

Re: .

Post by Spike »

Harb wrote:I don't see why Mauve's suggestion of compiling the pop.lmp found in the GPL Quake source release wouldn't be ok... the file would work with the engine, and the creation date would prove it was a new version, no?
No. Quake pak files don't have creation dates inside.
Files extracted from pak files use the current date for thier creation date.

However, the engine only reads the first 256 bytes anyway. If you need to mark it as anything different, you could make it 512 bytes. :)

And you can't just edit out the registered cvar either. It was used to communicate with the mod on the episode gates on the start map, so you'd need to force it to 1 whatever happens. :)

Sajt: the engine code contains a pre-initialised chunk which is checked against pop.lmp. The engine code is gpled. It'd be easy to simply write a new pop.lmp instead of checking, and it'd be an exact match out of the engine sourcecode. Therefore any pop.lmp that you generate from it will also be gpled, which prevents you from making a commercial mod based on the origional quake without it being registered, but still allows you to make standalone gpled mods.
pop.lmp might as well be gpled, as there's no way to distinguish it.