Your Lost Mods

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
RenegadeC

Your Lost Mods

Post by RenegadeC »

What Quake mods have you lost over time due to hard drive failures? Network crashes? Floppy disks dying? whatever? Who knows, maybe one of us has each others mod somewhere backed up on a CD in a dusty closet hidden under a pile of clothes.

Here's my list:
--

Metroid Quake - Based on 2DCam it used the Samus Quake 2 player model and had a few maps, music, working Metroid doors and quite a bit of progress behind it; unfortunately I lost it in a hard drive crash.

Squadron - Affected by the same hard drive crash, it was a Tribes clone done in QuakeWorld. I took the DiD1.bsp map from Defeat in Detail and had the Quake guy shrunk down, equipped with a jetpack, different types of armors and all sorts of weapons as well as a usable inventory station.

Quake RPG - After I gave it to FrikaC I disregarded it as it became Prydon Gate. It was quite different however and could be considered a mod of its own, you gained skills by using them such as running around more would increase your speed, firing a bow gave you longer reach as well as better aim, etc. Featured the gay town music ripped from Ragnarok online. :P I miss this the most.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

This cool 'army mod' done in February 1998, I tried several things with it

- The soldiers threw textual insults at random when they saw you in hearing range like "I dont got time for your crap". all of the sentences had the word "crap" in them.
- Some soldiers kept firing their weapon even after target is obscured or after you die which caused some funny chaotic fire fights
- Pain skins, not only that but particle spamming for corpses to keep them 'bleeding'
- Classes, in which you chose by impulse

This mod was done after a few Marines Quake and Special Forces LAN game sessions but was quickly deleted for reasons mysterious to me. I lost a good chunk of stuff I did between January 20 1998 and June 1998 =(

No one has this.
i should not be here
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Pendinas I lost. Damnit.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Not sure I've ever actually completely lost anything. I'm fairly sure I've still got almsot everything backed up on some broken laptop somewhere.

Except for Cockney Fighter 2000. That abortion was deliberately lost.
Apathy Now!
ajay

Post by ajay »

I've just recently lost 95% of earthQuake, my what if the Quake realm monsters conquered earth, and you were some average bloke trying to survive etc., mod.
I'n addition I've lost some free textures I'd collected, and "lost" what was my most organised mod resources I've ever had.
My bad for getting a Dell laptop I guess...
To be honest I'm not particualry enthusiastic about returning to making mods at the moment.
I once lost all my Lunkin stuff, then restarted, which I'd planned to anway, before finding all of it on a cd.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

ajay wrote:I've just recently lost 95% of earthQuake, my what if the Quake realm monsters conquered earth, and you were some average bloke trying to survive etc., mod.
Damn! I was curious about what this was going to be!
To be honest I'm not particualry enthusiastic about returning to making mods at the moment.
:( :( :(
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
ajay

Post by ajay »

See, I say that, then I go and install Quake again; all clean and shiny. Then my fave engines; TQ and DP, 'cept I have to go back to 2006 DP's to get it to run nicely on my laptop. And TQ is still doing a weird menu interupting the demos by itself thingy.
Anyway, next I install all my own (*wonderful*) mods, and then, naturally, I turn my thoughts to making some more.

But, you see the thing is I'd spent hours organising and editing all my mod resources from my extremely messy desktop pc and making everything loverly and user-freindly for me. To go through that all again is something I struggle to get enthusiastic enough to do. And to just dump it from my old pc to my laptop "as is" would be a bad idea, and make me even more unenthusiastic to actually do any modding. Oh, and I'd also have to forget, not cry about, all the stuff I'd done and lost....

So, I may come round, in fact I'm sure I will, but it'll be at some point after a day when I have a few hours to spare and a keeness for anally retentive organisational activities.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I lost the Crowbot
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Ren, I'm pretty sure I still have a backup for RPGQuake that Frik gave me some odd years ago. No source though, I think... if I get more spare time, I'll look into finding it for you.
Orion

Post by Orion »

RPGQuake?? Damn I should rename my mod (released a month ago) then, so people don't get confused.
KrimZon

Post by KrimZon »

I've lost all but a few of my least favourite maps that I made in 1997 or so, but I still remember the layout of them.

Same with some maps I made in 1999. All of the above from format/reinstalls with only one hdd and not having put them all on floppies.

I also lost the latest version of a 2D space game I made in vb3, but still had some older less sophisticated versions.

Also I've lost kzqwcl v1.x and v2.x, from saving space when I only had one hdd. Now I always have a big backup hdd, and theres 2 or 3 copies of much of my work, but thats more because I can afford to splash out on extra drives now.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

leileilol wrote:This cool 'army mod' done in February 1998, I tried several things with it

- The soldiers threw textual insults at random when they saw you in hearing range like "I dont got time for your crap". all of the sentences had the word "crap" in them.
- Some soldiers kept firing their weapon even after target is obscured or after you die which caused some funny chaotic fire fights
- Pain skins, not only that but particle spamming for corpses to keep them 'bleeding'
- Classes, in which you chose by impulse
Digging around HDs I found a earlier version of this which didn't have many of the above features (I think I lost that one for good) but the firing their weapon thing is still there. Corpses could be shot even heads could be shot and gibbed
i should not be here