Hellsmash: QSR Beta 1c Released

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Hellsmash: QSR Beta 1c Released

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

http://tlb.quakedev.com/files/qsrbeta1.zip
http://tlb.quakedev.com/files/qsrbeta1c.zip

EDIT 4: Beta 1c R2 is now out! Should fix all bug issues, and be the definitive version of Beta 1! This version has been tested briefly in online multiplay with RenegadeC and has been confirmed to work.

EDIT 3: Beta 1c is now released. Fixes most of the mentioned bugs, and adds lots of new features.

EDIT 2: If you got qsrbeta1b.zip before now, reget it. It fixes a few more bugs, changes fbx names, and adds obits for firey deaths!

EDIT: If you are at a loss about what map to play this on, you can get waypoint files for a vast number of maps via the FXRC!

/me recommends dredd map pack as an example of a ton of good maps that you could play this on!

http://tlb.quakedev.com/files/fbxways/

Extract qsrbeta1.zip to your quake dir (make sure you put in in a dir like qsrbeta1 or some such) first, then extract qsrbeta1b.zip to the directory you installed qsrbeta1.zip to. Overwrite all files and read readme.txt for all details.

Be sure to let me know of any bugs 'n stuff. And now to the sales spiel!

Bored of stock quake deathmatches with frikbots? Tired of putting band-aids on all those shaving cuts you got from the quake shotgun? Sick of nothing but quad damage, pentagram, and ring of shadows for powerups?

Then come on down and get a copy of Hellsmash QSR Beta 1b today!

Doesn't feature characters yet, but does feature an all new set of:

9 Powerful Weapons - No more shaving cuts, but plenty of gibs from these badasses! Plus, they get more options and power as you kick ass to gain ranks!

11 New Powerups - Never be stuck with just three flavors of powerup again!

AIDA Interface - Doesn't do much in deathmatch, but it will help you keep track of held items, and your rank!

Frikbot X will use some of the weapon secondaries and trifires!

Supports any standard deathmatch map (Items will randomly replace standard quake ones after first pickup
Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Sweet! I'm downloading it and will try it either tonight or tomorrow! (I know, it sounds lame, but I'm swamped with work :()
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Monster

Post by Monster »

really fun mod, results in hours of carnage! lots of fun firing a shock combo into a cluster of 4-6 frikbots and watching them all gib! or sitting on a nice sniping post with the crossbow and zooming in with the trifire and sniping with auxfire!

i also enjoy the item_deathball powerups. Fun planting 3 of them into a room with lots of frikbots running around and watch them all get chased by one.

nice job Dr_Shadowborg, I'll be looking forward to more releases!
Supa

Post by Supa »

Tested with DarkPlaces, overall it's quite nice but I did run into issues:

I kept getting 'setmodel: can not modify free entity' warnings with the shock rifle secondary and the EMP bow primary effects.

Are you supposed to be able to keep your active powerups after dying? It was a bit weird to be able to activate (for example) a vampire rune, die, respawn and keep it until the 30 second timer ran out. If it's intended behavior that's fine, I'm just curious. :)

Picking up a backpack gave the old weapon names rather than the new ones in the pickup message - 'You get the Rocket Launcher' rather than 'You got the Stake Launcher'

The obituaries were a bit vague - it was fairly hard to tell who had what weapon by obits alone, as you could in stock Quake ('foo accepts bar's shaft' and such)

Manually switching powerup categories is a bit of a pain. :| Why not automatically switch to the relevant category for a powerup as soon as you pick it up?

Hand grenades (On-hand grenades selected through 'hnades', not the shotgun trifire) didn't deplete as I threw them. Picking up a hand grenade box gave me six hand grenades that apparently lasted forever..

Okay, I'm done complaining. :)

I liked the overall feel of the weapon set - every weapon *feels* useful and it didn't feel like any weapon overpowered the others, which is nice.

Upgrading the player's weaponry as they gain ranks is a neat idea - it's *easy* to die in this mod, so rewarding the player for staying alive is a nice incentive to get players to be a bit more careful in combat. :)

I'm looking forward to the next release. :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Supa pretty much nailed all the bugs/problems. Some of those errors might just happen when using DP, I never got that setmodel: can not modify free entity. I'm using GLPRO399.

I forgot to mention some of those things like the backpacks showing the wrong messages.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Cool weapons, effects and runes! :) It took me a little while getting used to, but this is really promising. I can't wait to see how the single-player part will develop.

Only problem I had with it was random rebooting of the level, just after I killed a bot. I don't know what's happening there. Maybe it's because I'm using version b (which I had downloaded before)? (the link to version c does not seem to work anymore)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

CocoT wrote:Cool weapons, effects and runes! :) It took me a little while getting used to, but this is really promising. I can't wait to see how the single-player part will develop.

Only problem I had with it was random rebooting of the level, just after I killed a bot. I don't know what's happening there. Maybe it's because I'm using version b (which I had downloaded before)? (the link to version c does not seem to work anymore)
You probably caught me when I was uploading Beta 1c R2 (0.1.3.2). :oops:

Dunno about the random rebooting of a level, that sounds really, really odd. Try 1c and make sure you have the latest DP if using DP.
Supa wrote:Tested with DarkPlaces, overall it's quite nice but I did run into issues:

I kept getting 'setmodel: can not modify free entity' warnings with the shock rifle secondary and the EMP bow primary effects.

Are you supposed to be able to keep your active powerups after dying? It was a bit weird to be able to activate (for example) a vampire rune, die, respawn and keep it until the 30 second timer ran out. If it's intended behavior that's fine, I'm just curious. :)

Picking up a backpack gave the old weapon names rather than the new ones in the pickup message - 'You get the Rocket Launcher' rather than 'You got the Stake Launcher'

The obituaries were a bit vague - it was fairly hard to tell who had what weapon by obits alone, as you could in stock Quake ('foo accepts bar's shaft' and such)

Manually switching powerup categories is a bit of a pain. :| Why not automatically switch to the relevant category for a powerup as soon as you pick it up?

Hand grenades (On-hand grenades selected through 'hnades', not the shotgun trifire) didn't deplete as I threw them. Picking up a hand grenade box gave me six hand grenades that apparently lasted forever..

Okay, I'm done complaining. :)

I liked the overall feel of the weapon set - every weapon *feels* useful and it didn't feel like any weapon overpowered the others, which is nice.

Upgrading the player's weaponry as they gain ranks is a neat idea - it's *easy* to die in this mod, so rewarding the player for staying alive is a nice incentive to get players to be a bit more careful in combat. :)

I'm looking forward to the next release. :)
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. Beta 1c should address all those issues though. ;)

Thanks for testing and feedback everyone! :D
mrgreezy3

Re: Hellsmash: QSR Beta 1c Released

Post by mrgreezy3 »

Im Backkkk!!!!!!! i still got the psp version Ready it works on Phat and slim and even on my Pspgo
dr_mabuse

Re: Hellsmash: QSR Beta 1c Released

Post by dr_mabuse »

Wow!

Downloaded the PSP version last night and cant stop playing xD
Good Work !! 8) 8)