Pretty water!

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Post by revelator »

neither it uses glslang or opengl's variant of directx hardware shaders.

darkplaces supports external scripts for making cool effects ;)
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

reckless wrote:neither it uses glslang or opengl's variant of directx hardware shaders.

I'm going to go with C, based on the Wikipedia page. :D
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
revelator

Post by revelator »

possible to do hardware shading in in pure c but you will be in for a rough ride :)

the same code in glsl maybe takes 50 lines of code where as if you do it in C you will most likely end up writing about 5000 lines of code :lol:

the benefit of doing it the hard way is it might run on legacy hardware that dont support glsl (need a really old card) even my old geforce 2 can do em (to some extent) but my voodoo2 breaks :P
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

dreadlorde wrote:
reckless wrote:neither it uses glslang or opengl's variant of directx hardware shaders.

*scratches head*
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Sajt wrote:
dreadlorde wrote:

*scratches head*
GLSL is based on C, so I'm just going to say that the pretty water was done in C.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Well, the only similarity is in the syntax... but if you meant whether the shaders were done in an assembly-style shader language or a non-assembly-style shader language, I guess you can say that...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Spike

Post by Spike »

dreadlorde wrote:GLSL is based on C, so I'm just going to say that the pretty water was done in C.
By that reasoning, QuakeC, Java, etc etc are all programmed in C.

Sadly most people accuse it of being C++ but that's a different matter. :s
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

dreadlorde wrote:
Sajt wrote:
dreadlorde wrote:I'm going to go with C, based on the Wikipedia page. :D
*scratches head*
GLSL is based on C, so I'm just going to say that the pretty water was done in C.
A lot of languages are syntax-based on C, but they aren't C.
Also, any statement from Wikipedia should be considered with at a bit of salt.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

bit more to it than that aye most code is in some form or another based on the standards like C/C++

say for example python is more of a script language with the capability of making programs but those programs will then depend on the python runtime dll to run.

glsl has a bit of the same behaviour but you dont really notice it because the runtime dll comes with your gfx card in form of an opengl interpreter.

and java has the same behaviour as spike pointed out :)

the benefit of glsl is it uses something that you allready have namely the drivers for your video card (i do hope you have em) :lol:
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I knew that was going to happen the second after I pressed 'Submit'... :lol:
Get off my lawn!
My-Key

Post by My-Key »

AluminumHaste@
Try this one http://www.mediafire.com/?maqtng2ged5 (I've packed and tested it just a moment ago)

Thanks to new version of DarkPlaces water now can have glossy surface like on this picture :)

But now water looks very static, because you can see that it is just moving. So here is my question: does anybody know how to change script to add animation frames?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that um looks bad as hell.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

My-Key wrote:..
The water looks like it's covered in fucking plastic.

Once more, with feeling.
Get off my lawn!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

how does it look like its covered in plastic? it looks like the light in the map is reflecting off of the water making it shine and shimmer...
Urre

Post by Urre »

Yay, I've been waiting for gloss on water surface support! Although, yes, it does look like plastic. DP really needs some form of control over gloss sharpness, so you can have water, metal, plastic and other sorts of gloss too...
I was once a Quake modder