Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: Quake MOD - In The Shadows

Post by ceriux »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:That system looks pretty good. I'd recommend it be on by default for easy mode, but be accessible via console.

i agree.

another suggestion i might give is when i was playing stealth mode the mosnters didnt hear sounds unless it seemed i fired right next to them (trying to get them to face a certain way or move away from an area)

this kinda freaked me out with how the bounding boxes are in quake. i was afraid i would shoot the air next to them and still hit them.

i would suggest increasing the distance at which they can hear your arrows hit the world.

also at one point i found myself over them jumping downward in a surpise attack from behind. yet when my axe hit it didnt do the damage i was expecting. maybe add backstab to top of the enemies as well?
sock

Post by sock »

another suggestion i might give is when i was playing stealth mode the monsters didn't hear sounds unless it seemed i fired right next to them (trying to get them to face a certain way or move away from an area) I would suggest increasing the distance at which they can hear your arrows hit the world.
What about linking the distraction distance to skill level? Maybe increase the distance for easy skill level only? If you were playing on easy skill level and then tried normal skill the distance would be less (current value) it would appear the distance was not working? would you be frustrated by that?
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i think having it scale by level would be good. that way theres a skill/challenge change between skill levels.
qbism

Post by qbism »

sock wrote:What about linking the distraction distance to skill level? Maybe increase the distance for easy skill level only? If you were playing on easy skill level and then tried normal skill the distance would be less (current value) it would appear the distance was not working? would you be frustrated by that?
qbism

Post by qbism »

ceriux wrote:another suggestion i might give is when i was playing stealth mode the mosnters didnt hear sounds unless it seemed i fired right next to them (trying to get them to face a certain way or move away from an area)
I'll chime-in with agreement on this. Yet if it's tied to skill level, how could that be made obvious to the player? Someone used to playing "easy" may assume that "hard" is glitched. Another option may be to change the sound the player hears if a monster hears the arrow, and/or make the monster noticably flinch ,jump, or momentarily move a little faster when they hear the sound. Anything to tip off the player if any monsters heard the arrow.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

qbism wrote:
ceriux wrote:another suggestion i might give is when i was playing stealth mode the mosnters didnt hear sounds unless it seemed i fired right next to them (trying to get them to face a certain way or move away from an area)
I'll chime-in with agreement on this. Yet if it's tied to skill level, how could that be made obvious to the player? Someone used to playing "easy" may assume that "hard" is glitched. Another option may be to change the sound the player hears if a monster hears the arrow, and/or make the monster noticably flinch ,jump, or momentarily move a little faster when they hear the sound. Anything to tip off the player if any monsters heard the arrow.
could use a ! or ? where the eye icon is when they hear it.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

The "shooting the air next to them and hitting them" thing is caused by a combination of things in the qc:
1. monsters have FL_MONSTER in their .flags.
2. MOVETYPE_FLYMISSILE (as opposed to MOVETYPE_FLY) hits FL_MONSTER flagged entities with a box 15 units larger in all directions.

So if you fire missiles with MOVETYPE_FLY instead of MOVETYPE_FLYMISSILE, you hit the real box.

You might notice the big box behavior (hitting the air near a monster) only applies to these missiles, not shotgun blasts and the like (though if desired you can actually get that to happen by passing 2 as the nomonsters parameter (which as dpextensions.qc explains is actually the movement type, like MOVE_NORMAL = 0, MOVE_NOMONSTERS = 1, MOVE_MISSILE = 2, those all work in stock Quake, however DP adds two more: MOVE_WORLDONLY = 3, MOVE_HITMODEL = 4 (actual per poly hit detection).
sock

Post by sock »

LordHavoc wrote:You might notice the big box behavior (hitting the air near a monster) only applies to these missiles, not shotgun blasts and the like (though if desired you can actually get that to happen by passing 2 as the nomonsters parameter (which as dpextensions.qc explains is actually the movement type, like MOVE_NORMAL = 0, MOVE_NOMONSTERS = 1, MOVE_MISSILE = 2, those all work in stock Quake, however DP adds two more: MOVE_WORLDONLY = 3, MOVE_HITMODEL = 4 (actual per poly hit detection).
I already turn off the auto aim function for the stealth crossbow and it is an impulse option for all other weapons. I also change projectile missiles to have different collision types.

Code: Select all

if (serverflags & SVR_AUTOAIMOFF) newmis.movetype = MOVETYPE_FLY;	// Small collision
	else newmis.movetype = MOVETYPE_FLYMISSILE;		// Large collision
LordHavoc wrote:though if desired you can actually get that to happen by passing 2 as the nomonsters parameter
Do you mean the parameter for the traceline function?

Code: Select all

void(vector v1, vector v2, float nomonsters, entity forent) traceline = #16;	
LordHavoc wrote:however DP adds two more: MOVE_WORLDONLY = 3, MOVE_HITMODEL = 4 (actual per poly hit detection).
Can I detect this dpextension? Can this be applied to projectile weapons? When I fire a missile I specify movetype but is there is no traceline being used, so how do I tell projectiles to use MOVE_HITMODEL?
sock

Post by sock »

I was short on time this week to map and decided to do a lighting pass in the small hours of the morning. At the time it looked good but in the morning it felt like I was looking through a drunken haze on my screen. The screenshots did require a large amount of PS work to look reasonable and they should give a good impression of what to expect in the South East Tower of Baramous Keep.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

sock wrote:
LordHavoc wrote:however DP adds two more: MOVE_WORLDONLY = 3, MOVE_HITMODEL = 4 (actual per poly hit detection).
Can I detect this dpextension? Can this be applied to projectile weapons? When I fire a missile I specify movetype but is there is no traceline being used, so how do I tell projectiles to use MOVE_HITMODEL?
You can check for that with: ext_dp_qc_trace_movetype_hitmodel = checkextension("DP_QC_TRACE_MOVETYPE_HITMODEL");

There isn't a movetype to trigger it, but you can make an entity that does its own movement using traceline, using self.nextthink = time; to cause it to always think once per frame, and traceline(self.origin, self.origin + self.velocity * frametime, MOVE_HITMODEL, self) and setorigin(self, trace_endpos) - but you'll need to handle hitting entities too (if trace_fraction < 1).

Be aware that it is possible for traceline on two consecutive frames to miss a collision where on one frame it ends outside the model, then the model moves, and then on the next frame it starts inside the model.

There is also a fairly hefty CPU impact from MOVE_HITMODEL if the entity being hit is an animated model, so you'll want to check framerate in combat before enabling it on too many things.

Another darkplaces feature is being able to use SOLID_BSP on an entity with a model (not merely bsp), which pretty much enables the same feature in reverse, this is very fast as long as it is not animated.
sock

New Progress

Post by sock »

New Location, The Chapel of Saint Corthright

New player weapon model, The Shadow Axe
... with 5 sets of animations, 5 different skins to show amulet status, new swipe/amulet sounds and various blade particle effects.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

THAT AXE IS AWESOME! <3
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

"You have my sword."
"And my bow."
"And SOCK'S AXE!"

Looks very nice, very in keeping with Quake's slightly more elegant medieval feel.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Every game needs swinging blades of death. Marvellous.
sock

Post by sock »

I am glad people like the Axe, it took a long time to work out something that had the Quake vibe but also felt different from the original axe. Been experimenting with transitions lately and here is a quick large to small brick interlude on the way to the crypt ...