glquake and modding

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
domis4

glquake and modding

Post by domis4 »

so, lets hope this is the right section^^

hi everyone,

ive finally compiled my own quake 1 progs.dat (without any error or warning) so,
next thing i want to do is testing this one. Its the original quake 1 source.

i havent bought quake 1, so i just used shareware quake (glquake). but it told me, im not allowed to
start modified games :( But as you can see in many quake mods (like Kurok) you can start it without
a bought quake. Is there any solution to start it?
ive allready tried with "glquake -registered 1 -mymod" but its just tell me, im not able to do that unless i register.

greetings, domis4

EDIT: err, just figured it out: import the resources from Quake 1 shareware to kurok. and then change the progs.dat from kurok :) thanks alot anyway
mh

Re: glquake and modding

Post by mh »

Easiest way is to just buy Quake. It's dirt cheap and the problem goes right away.

Second way is to mod the engine to remove the registered check. You may still crash if your mod uses content that isn't included in shareware Quake however, so you'll either need to include replacements for that or code workarounds for missing content in the engine. Kurok, you should note, uses it's own modded engine.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

domis4 wrote:EDIT: err, just figured it out: import the resources from Quake 1 shareware to kurok. and then change the progs.dat from kurok :)
If this makes mods to run with standard GLQuake, it means the Kurok data must contain the proof-of-purchase file from the registered version of Quake, which is illegal to redistribute.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
domis4

Post by domis4 »

im not a expert on that, but

kurok still has that "you need a registered version to start a modified game" message, if you
mod anything in id1 folder or just change load a other mod.

all i did, was changing the kurok's progs.dat . so i could add anything into the pak files.
And as i use the original quake source, i need the quake files.
mh

Post by mh »

mankrip wrote:
domis4 wrote:EDIT: err, just figured it out: import the resources from Quake 1 shareware to kurok. and then change the progs.dat from kurok :)
If this makes mods to run with standard GLQuake, it means the Kurok data must contain the proof-of-purchase file from the registered version of Quake, which is illegal to redistribute.
One interesting thing here though is that the contents of that file are included in the GPL source, so technically the file is GPL. The rest of the registered content (aside from the maps) is most definitely not redistributable though.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

With the -kurok command line parameter, the Kurok engine will ignore the registered check and run the Kurok mod.

Without the -kurok command line parameter, the Kurok engine will check for registered Quake like normal.

[Kurok mod does not use any Quake models or graphics and is rather close to a total conversion, it uses a few Quake sounds like "getting the key", "the fiend attack sound".]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..