Menu Option To download from a server

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
thommoboy

Menu Option To download from a server

Post by thommoboy »

how could i code in a button in the menu to download lets say an update from a server?
Spirit

Re: Menu Option To download from a server

Post by Spirit »

That depends on what exactly you mean. Downloading an update directly? Redirecting to a website? Having the engine check some URL and display a message accordingly?

First outline what you want. Then start thinking about how to transfer that into code. Then start looking for places where you might be able to add such function. Then ask.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
DusterdooSmock

Post by DusterdooSmock »

thommoboy wrote:how could i code in a button in the menu to download lets say an update from a server?
Like I said before, start from the beginning. Get a good, solid programming foundation before you try to accomplish complex tasks. Coding an "update" button would either require large amounts of engine programming, or a combination of engine programming and CSQC.
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

okay i want an option on the main menu to open the web browser or directly download an update for the game
Baker

Post by Baker »

This tutorial provides download functionality from the internet, you could alter it to download whatever you were wanting to update.

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1669

It would be a ton of a work and is in the realm of engine coding, not QuakeC.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

would this work on psp?
Baker

Post by Baker »

If you are extremely persistent in it, yes. There is libcurl for PSP.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

could i grab some assistance from you?
Baker

Post by Baker »

A better question ... is this kind of complexity a good investment in your own time for such a result?

And the follow up thought: if the above information is intimidating, perhaps evaluate whether or not a more reachable goal is in order. Some ideas require too much of investment in time for the kind of result. Sometimes it is better to discard an idea and work on something more practical.

I would suggest this idea, although possible, does not fall into the practical category.