Doom 3 engine release and game code

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
revelator

Re: Doom 3 engine release and game code

Post by revelator »

I can upload a diff against an earlier version of my own engine but you will not be able to use it to patch Vanilla since a lot changed in my version.
For one my version uses GLEW so none of the old opengl render calls fit anymore.
I also changed some older vertex functions to use vertex attributes.
And i removed a lot of deprecated stuff :S though Theres still a lot to go.

So you will have to check the diff carefully and apply the functions by hand, if it crashes then chances are you overlooked something (happened to me when porting it) :)

Or give me some days and i can make a version against dhewm3 which should atleast apply to that :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

reckless wrote:... while bfg can do 120 :)
Can it do 120Hz? No, it can't. It can do 60fps per eye in stereo.
reckless wrote:Bear in mind though that the shadow volume improvements this Fellow made has not made it in since i cannot get them to run correctly, and i suspect they have a quite huge impact on performance
cause shadow volumes are really nasty performance wise.

Atleast for MSVC users my port provides a basic framework for multithreading Vanilla, for mingw the changes needed would more or less just be the inclusion of pthreads + libgomp.
There isn't anything to bear in mind. That patch is for OpenMP. BFG threading is job queues, which is more scalable and yield much higher performance gains. Plus it doesn't depend on any external libs. Game code, input, rendering and networking are all threaded in BFG.

I can understand what you are doing is good for personal growth, but it does nothing to help community :/ BFG is modern engine, so maybe it's time to move on and make BFG moddable, instead of making messy and monstrous code out of good old idTech 4 ?
qbism

Post by qbism »

It's got to be only like two lines of code to make BFG modable. :roll:
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

qbism wrote:It's got to be only like two lines of code to make BFG modable. :roll:
Not two, but we made it more or less moddable in less time that reckless spent hacking GLSL shaders into idTech 4 and messing with OpenMP patch. And all it took is analyzing code, running debugger and checking out debug options in the engine.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

motorsep wrote:
qbism wrote:It's got to be only like two lines of code to make BFG modable. :roll:
Not two, but we made it more or less moddable in less time that reckless spent hacking GLSL shaders into idTech 4 and messing with OpenMP patch. And all it took is analyzing code, running debugger and checking out debug options in the engine.
Is it possible to put back the pk4 file or make bfg import both pk4 and resource files.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

anonreclaimer wrote:
motorsep wrote:
Is it possible to put back the pk4 file or make bfg import both pk4 and resource files.
What's the point? .resources works as good as pk4. Porting old stuff will take more effort than modifying new stuff. The only old things that need to be ported is server browser for multiplayer, and tools. The rest is fine as it is.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The work is feasible but probably not trivial. My point is that the best proof would be to actually do it and show a working mod. There is no benefit to denouncing the work of others [edit: was bulllying]. Someone around here has a sig, 'leave others to their otherness'.
Last edited by qbism on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

qbism wrote:Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The work is feasible but probably not trivial. My point is that the best proof would be to actually do it and show a working mod. There is no benefit to bullying others. Someone around here has a sig, 'leave others to their otherness'.
I suppose you are just not looking to see if there are any mods / games being made using BFG engine. Inside3d is Quake 1 oriented board afaik, and d3w is where all Doom 3 stuff is happening:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 13&t=26755

I am not bullying anyone, I am one of the vocal minority folks for the subject.
qbism

Post by qbism »

motorsep wrote:I am not bullying anyone, I am one of the vocal minority folks for the subject.
Then I will rephrase my comment to 'denouncing the work of others.'
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

I was just suggesting plus people wouldn't have to rezip the pk4 to resource anyway.jmarshall port over the tools anyway.
So i guess you just have to work out the bugs.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

qbism wrote:
motorsep wrote:I am not bullying anyone, I am one of the vocal minority folks for the subject.
Then I will rephrase my comment to 'denouncing the work of others.'
Oh, so now you saw some work being actually done with BFG and you don't really have nothing to say, so you trying find something else to poke at me.

It's quite simple - Doom 3 modding community wants to mod BFG, Doom 3 community wants to faster, more capable engine. BFG provides all that, idTech 4 doesn't. There are a few folks in the community who kept saying "BFG is crap, we are making idTech 4 run faster and better". One guy released several tutorials on how to add faster and better features, and I'd say 99% of that never worked. The only person who released working stuff was "mk"(?), which coupled with few fixed from Dande and fall back code, all that for VBOs, allowed idTech 4 to do a bit more than what it used to do. I am not saying idTech 4 isn't capable, I am saying there is better engine out there, compatible with most of Doom 3 content.

So when I see yet another guy doing something that isn't really beneficial, I have to ask him to direct his skill towards something better, for the same common purpose. That's all.
anonreclaimer wrote:I was just suggesting plus people wouldn't have to rezip the pk4 to resource anyway.jmarshall port over the tools anyway. So i guess you just have to work out the bugs.
It's not a big deal to repack mod into .resources. While BFG repacking can take more than an hour, and that's a lot of Gb of data, regular mods will pack in no time. New mods will have to follow a few rules for coding / scripting, due to threading. Old mods (depending on how the script is written) might need to have scripts fixed. Code of SDK mods will definitely need to be ported into code base from tr3b's branch and recompiled. Full screen menus would need to be re-made in Flash (but there aren't whole a lot of those, so might as well just disregard those).
Has anyone ever compiled jmarshall's code? I was never able to build it with even vanilla Doom 3. His tools port doesn't even have MSVC2010 solution, and fails compiling with MSVC2012.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Nope, still being sarcastic. I'm stunned to see this level of bullying on this forum. The insults are not acceptable.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

qbism wrote:Nope, still being sarcastic. I'm stunned to see this level of bullying on this forum. The insults are not acceptable.
Well, for you specifically, once again - there is no bullying. Maybe you got bullied sh$t out when you were younger, or maybe you still get bullied and therefore overly sensitive.

So keep being sarcastic, I can't believe level of sarcasm on this forum.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

motorsep wrote:Oh, so now you saw some work being actually done with BFG and you don't really have nothing to say, so you trying find something else to poke at me.

It's quite simple - Doom 3 modding community wants to mod BFG, Doom 3 community wants to faster, more capable engine. BFG provides all that, idTech 4 doesn't. There are a few folks in the community who kept saying "BFG is crap, we are making idTech 4 run faster and better". One guy released several tutorials on how to add faster and better features, and I'd say 99% of that never worked. The only person who released working stuff was "mk"(?), which coupled with few fixed from Dande and fall back code, all that for VBOs, allowed idTech 4 to do a bit more than what it used to do. I am not saying idTech 4 isn't capable, I am saying there is better engine out there, compatible with most of Doom 3 content.

So when I see yet another guy doing something that isn't really beneficial, I have to ask him to direct his skill towards something better, for the same common purpose. That's all.
Hmm I like where your coming from but reckless and mh have done goods. Your trying no proving that d3 BFG can be a base for modders and not just indie developers that's cool and all but there still things BFG is missing which makes a lot of people uneasy but in till BFG can get some real tools it's going to be that way.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

anonreclaimer wrote:Hmm I like where your coming from but reckless and mh have done goods. Your trying no proving that d3 BFG can be a base for modders and not just indie developers that's cool and all but there still things BFG is missing which makes a lot of people uneasy but in till BFG can get some real tools it's going to be that way.
I never said they did useless stuff. However, BFG engine is out, it was ported to Linux, there was quite some digging done to determine whether it's usable or not. Finding in those diggings yielded that BFG is moddable and usable.

But, 'nuff me talking. When SS2 is out, and code is released, then whoever really needs it for Doom 3, they can find it useful.