Flash Light -- Extremely tough question

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Baker

Flash Light -- Extremely tough question

Post by Baker »

You can make any model glow with a light in QuakeC.

Is it possible to make a flashlight effect where there is no model receiving the glow effect in standard QuakeC?

Like a light glow somewhere with no model present?
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Sure, just make a blank sprite to be the model for the entity.
Apathy Now!
Baker

Post by Baker »

MauveBib wrote:Sure, just make a blank sprite to be the model for the entity.
I was thinking of that option, but the mod in-progress doesn't require any model downloads and will be running on a server.

Are there any other workarounds that don't involve new models/sprites being utilized?
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

In a mod of mine I simply took a setmodel line and removed the contents of the information saying which model, leaving just = ""; but kept the EF_BRIGHTLIGHT or whatnot, and I had a moving light source, with no model or sprite involved at all.
Baker

Post by Baker »

scar3crow wrote:In a mod of mine I simply took a setmodel line and removed the contents of the information saying which model, leaving just = ""; but kept the EF_BRIGHTLIGHT or whatnot, and I had a moving light source, with no model or sprite involved at all.
If that works, that would be great.

You told me you weren't a coder at all, heh.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

That won't work. It might in Darkplaces (not sure), or in single player (not sure). But entities with no model aren't sent over the network. You need to use a model. The best you can do is probably the nail (spike) model...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Baker - Im not =)

Sajt - Heh, this was done in singleplayer DarkPlaces!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

That's in DP only, normal Quake and most other engines check if the model is blank, if so it's not sent. DP adds in an additional check: if the model is blank AND there are no effects, then it is not sent.

Single player never has anything to do with it, because SP is just multiplayer with maxplayers 1 and using a loopback buffer rather than a real network device.

Frame 1 of s_bubble.spr is pretty small...
IceDagger

Post by IceDagger »

Yeah, I've seen a flashlight tutorial somewhere that used that sprite model.