Mod Request - Mapper-friendly mod with darkplaces features

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

FrikaC, I think that would be rather awesome, and am willing to do an example map of the features if you would like. I know Zwiffle also thought it was cool, so if he didn't tell you as such, feel free to knock him upside the head and tell him I told you to tell him to tell you he likes it because he totally said so in #terrafusion that he did.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

My current working name for it is "Nepenthe" which according to Wikipedia is "a medicine for sorrow, literally an anti-depressant – a "drug of forgetfulness"." I lifted the word from The Raven mostly because it sounds cool, and Quoth was named after the refrain in The Raven. Other name ideas are welcome.

I have extracted my reltest code from my old monstrosity and I'm currently working with warpzonelib, the first of LordHavoc's list. Simultaneously, I'm also trying to get a release ready for Qake, and we're kind of in crunch at work, so pressure on my time is great. My webhost doesn't do public svn like I thought, so thinking maybe putting it up on google code or github or some such. Suggestions welcome.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

That's awesome! :)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

a tutorial for how to set up a QC project on google code would be cool.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

It would be, but I don't have time to write one. :wink:
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Google code project: http://nepenthe.googlecode.com - if anyone wants to contribute let me know, I'll add you as a member.

Temp site design: http://nepenthe.frikac.com - will be putting documentation here.

scar3: Definitely want to take you up on making example maps. As it stands I will not have time to do this, unless I just make horrible unlit box maps...even then...
DrDire

Post by DrDire »

hey guys I'd be interested in helping with new models and skins for items and stuff, just list some ideas of things needed 8)
behind_you

Re: Mod Request - Mapper-friendly mod with darkplaces featur

Post by behind_you »

LordHavoc wrote: breakable light fixtures - a model entity that can be shot to destroy it and turn off the dlight
I kinda got this part working. Very hacky though. I just made the light and the breakable part two separate models. If you hit the breakable part, it vanishes, turns off the light and throws some glass gibs. Very annoying since you have to position the breakable part relative to where the other part is. I'll upload it if someone wants to see it in action.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

hey guys I'd be interested in helping with new models and skins for items and stuff, just list some ideas of things needed
Well the main thing sticking in my mind right now, because behind_you just reminded me of it -- breakable object gibs. Ideally, should not be based on Quake models or textures since this will be GPL.

* Glass Shards
* Bolts & metallic scrap
* Rock bits
* Bricks (ideally with the quake brick texture...hmmm copyright is tricky)

Take a look at the Quoth breakable map for ideas.
I kinda got this part working. Very hacky though. I just made the light and the breakable part two separate models. If you hit the breakable part, it vanishes, turns off the light and throws some glass gibs. Very annoying since you have to position the breakable part relative to where the other part is. I'll upload it if someone wants to see it in action.
How about making it one model with two frames of animation. In the first frame, the 'bulb' is visible and attached to the base. In the second frame you crush it down and tuck it inside the base's mesh - might look a little goofy with interpolation but it would save on model slots and make it easier for the mappers to use. The transition could be covered with particles and a gib model explosion.

Progress Update

I've integrated almost all of Extras r4 (hooray GPL v2), excluding his "no bleed patch", underwater sounds, ladders and hipnotic rotation. I'm going to go through next and delete the things that are useless from my point of view -- I think Reltest should be the way to link entities together, so func_bspframe is going bye bye.

Hipnotic rotation has a scary comment about copyrights at the top so I skipped it. The underwater sounds I kinda like, but I'm afraid other people will not agree, and the fact it doesn't work in deathmatch or coop is a deal breaker for me. Ladders seemed broken in DarkPlaces (or maybe it was the Quoth ladders), skipped for now.

As for the no bleed patch, I agree with Asaki, that the blood works to signal when something is shootable. Might make it a spawnflag or key so the mappers have control over the bleeding effect.
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

FrikaC wrote: How about making it one model with two frames of animation. In the first frame, the 'bulb' is visible and attached to the base. In the second frame you crush it down and tuck it inside the base's mesh - might look a little goofy with interpolation but it would save on model slots and make it easier for the mappers to use. The transition could be covered with particles and a gib model explosion.
Not a bad idea. I think there is a way for DP to skip interpolating one frame. I think it's used for teleporting or ssomething. but it would need a lot of bones to make the model's breakable part really small and tucked away.

ANOTHER IDEA: how about when the model breaks, the breakable part changes to a transparent skin? It's simpler than animating, and it doesn't need any extra model slots (btw how many model slots does DP have?)
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

behind_you wrote:Not a bad idea. I think there is a way for DP to skip interpolating one frame. I think it's used for teleporting or ssomething. but it would need a lot of bones to make the model's breakable part really small and tucked away.
Toggling EF_TELEPORT_BIT (or using csqc to do it instead).
behind_you wrote:ANOTHER IDEA: how about when the model breaks, the breakable part changes to a transparent skin? It's simpler than animating, and it doesn't need any extra model slots (btw how many model slots does DP have?)
Yes, making a couple .skin files works, models/lightbulb.iqm_0.skin and models/lightbulb.iqm_1.skin (or any other model format if your choosing, as long as it has multiple material support) would let you do so, simply specifying the meshname,texture for the textures you want to show in the respective skin, and omitting the one for the textures you want to hide in one of the skin files... In some model formats the meshname is the texture name in the model (not all model formats have a separate meshname field).

Alternatively if using mdl you can just embed two skins and that gets the job done (but the geometry won't change).

Probably best to support both skin and frame changing on such entities, because if using it with a bmodel for example you can toggle to the alternate texture set by setting .frame = 1.

Model limit in darkplaces is 4096 I believe, entity limit 32768, skin limit 256 per model.
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

yeah, EF_TELEPORT_BIT was what i was talking about.

oh and a bit offtopic, but is it possible to use .colormod on individual textures? because I am designing random building models and I only want one of the model's textures to be a random color. I've done this by making it into two separate models and attaching one to the other by maintaining the same origins and angles. but this technique is cumbersome. I simply want to randomise the color of one texture.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

The frame method, to me, is superior because that would work in regular Quake. Where as transparent skins simply don't exist in normal Quake. At the start of the thread LordHavoc himself said that the mod should work without darkplaces as best it can.

If the final output is an mdl, the number bones you need to get it to work is basically irrelevant (It only matters from a workflow standpoint, I guess). Remember, mdl is vertex animation, crushing things is what it's good at. So perhaps you could just modify the mesh and export it as a second model, then somehow stitch the models together (this is roughly how the the original monsters were created, each frame was a separate model, with the same number of verts)
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

FrikaC wrote:The frame method, to me, is superior because that would work in regular Quake. Where as transparent skins simply don't exist in normal Quake. At the start of the thread LordHavoc himself said that the mod should work without darkplaces as best it can
Well, you actually can. Just bake in another texture in the mdl that has 255 color index replacing the segment of the texture that you want to disappear. make it switch textures when u hurt it, throw some gibs and voila!
LordHavoc wrote:It would be really great if we got together as a community and devised an open source (bah Quoth, bah I say!) mapper-friendly mod to accommodate darkplaces features.
Well he said that he wants to accommodate darkplaces features in this mod. This means it will probably not work with quake so much. I know what you are talkin about FrikaC, but it would be pointless and annoying to make such a mod if we were still bound to the basic features of quake.

I just thought about the vertex animation. Yeah, it's a lot simpler than i stated :P.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

behind_you wrote:Well, you actually can. Just bake in another texture in the mdl that has 255 color index replacing the segment of the texture that you want to disappear. make it switch textures when u hurt it, throw some gibs and voila!
Except that no engine implements transparency of this type on mdl, least of all stock Quake.