blast from the past

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

blast from the past

Post by revelator »

dug out my old OS2 disks to see if it could run on a modern pc and hehe well im writing this from it so yup the old thing still runs :)

dosquake runs quite fine on it also :D glquake and winquake well not so much hehe.

browser was updated because netscape cant show some content without crashing so im using a newer qt based one from ecommstation.

unfortunatly i cant remember how to do a screenshot of the desktop (if it was even possible) in OS2.

bit of a shame that it died :(.
frag.machine

Re: blast from the past

Post by frag.machine »

reckless wrote:dug out my old OS2 disks to see if it could run on a modern pc and hehe well im writing this from it so yup the old thing still runs :)

dosquake runs quite fine on it also :D glquake and winquake well not so much hehe.

browser was updated because netscape cant show some content without crashing so im using a newer qt based one from ecommstation.

unfortunatly i cant remember how to do a screenshot of the desktop (if it was even possible) in OS2.

bit of a shame that it died :(.
Yeah. I was an OS/2 user too, for almost 4 years. Used to play Quake in a DOS window without worrying about running PPP drivers or protected mode memory extenders (DOS emulation under OS/2 was far superior than the real thing). Those were the days... :D
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

yup the dos emulation in OS2 was pretty much as good as it gets :)
hmm IBM pretty much cant release the OS2 source because microsoft
still holds parts of the copyright, but i wonder if they could reveal the source for the emulation ? would be somewhat cool to have as an WDM plugin for say win7 :D

also i wonder what happened to the OS2 object desktop system alike microsoft had plans for.
revelator

Post by revelator »

yup the dos emulation in OS2 was pretty much as good as it gets :)
hmm IBM pretty much cant release the OS2 source because microsoft
still holds parts of the copyright, but i wonder if they could reveal the source for the emulation ? would be somewhat cool to have as an WDM plugin for say win7 :D

also i wonder what happened to the OS2 object desktop system alike microsoft had plans for.