"Best of Quake" Votes

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Error
InsideQC Staff

"Best of Quake" Votes

Post by Error »

I need all you guys to help with something. I need a list of your favorite mods and maps of all time. This is for a huge compilation of Quake goodness.

RULES: PLEASE FOLLOW. If you don't, your vote will be void.

:arrow: List ONLY 5 mods/conversions
:arrow: List ONLY 5 maps/map compilations
:arrow: You cannot vote for your own work.
:arrow: Anything voted on more than once will make it into the compilation.
:arrow: You can try to persuade others with links to try whatever you choose.
:arrow: Only one post may be made, choose wisely.

Map choices can be chosen even if it involves a mod as well. Basically, if you choose a mod based on it's maps, I'll take that.
ie. Nehahra is well known for it's maps, so that can be considered a map compilation.

As tempting as it may be, don't vote for commercial products, as I can't legally put them in the compilation.
Last edited by Error on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
negke

Post by negke »

Wow, that's a tough one. There've been so many great mods and maps... Some quick picks from the top of my head - things that seemed extraordinary for one reason or another, unique, orginal, etc (in no particular order).

Mods: The Ascension of Vigil, Prydon Gate, Fantasy Quake, Quake Rally, Painkeep? dunno

Maps: Zerstörer, Nehahra, Beyond Belief, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (apsp2), Soul of Evil: Indian Summer
[Travail of course, but unfortunately I made the secret maps, so someone else go list it!]

Actually, it's crazy to choose five out of almost 1000 releases... Damn you for making me even try! :x

Edit: Errr, do you count maps/episodes that come with custom progs like Zer, Neh etc as mods? Do you only want single maps that run on id1, and what about Quoth maps?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

My votes for mods:

> Prydon Gate (+expansions)
> Air Quake
> Quake Rally
> Quess
> Target Quake

Haven't been a serious map player for a long time, but here's my map choices:

> Zerstörer
> Beyond Belief
> Shadow Over Innsmouth
> IKSPQ (by Iikka "Fingers" Keränen)
> Travail
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I know it's hard to widdle it down to just 5 per category, but that's the point. This is for those mods that REALLY stuck out there.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

Maps:

> Shadow Over Innsmouth
> The Cassandra Calamity
> Day of the Lords
> The Marcher Fortress
> Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (But They Do Carry Shotguns)
negke

Post by negke »

Oh, indeed: Marcher! How could I forget it?? TargetQuake, too. Should have taken a moment longer to think about it.
Airquake was also very cool - I even had an email discussion with Fingers about it since I considered making a map for it. But in the end, I played QRally more (and even LAN). Quess had potential, especially since I totally loved Archon and Battlechess, but ultimately the realization was a bit haphazard iirc.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Mods:
Troopeux
GetRichQuake
Ascension of Vigil
Prydon Gate
Painkeep

Maps:
Beyond Belief
Penumbra of Domination
Zerstörer
IKSPQ
The Masque of Red Death
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

should I expand it to 10 choices?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Maps:

1. Insomnia [what a marvelous single player release, with true map navigation frustrations requiring tons of back-tracking and keen observation]
2. Once Upon Atrocity [brilliant game progression ... rather constant feeling of tranquility, proven to be false]
3. OUM [the last true grab-bag of ambitious single player]
4. Zerstorer [gib fountains, the chainsaw and crowd controller and mega-enforcers]
5. IKSP1 [also known as the maximum that was ever done classically with stock id1]
6. Starship [by Neil Manke for clarification; never so much uniqueness and creativity in a single release]

Mods:

1. RuneQuake / Artifact Quake / Artifact Quake RJS [just because it is a thriving mod does not mean it isn't classic]
2. Slide [just because it is a dead mod does not mean it isn't classic]
3. Remake Quake [grapple, puzzles, cameras, randomness]
4. Soul of Evil Indian Summer [dragons, helper guys, etc.]
5. Quoth [droles! Ok, maybe that was in Chapters too.]
6. Marcher Fortress [most modified monsters evar!]
7. Quake 2
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Wow, I had wished more people would vote. With little votes, I'll have to toss everything you guys vote into this compilation pack.
Supa

Post by Supa »

Have a little patience, please? :)

Trying to avoid some of the officially obvious ones like TF, Nehehra, or Prydon Gate that _everyone_ has played to death.. Being a ruleset writer and a developer I'm really torn over some of these, because while some releases may be significant milestones of Quake community development they're fairly mediocre in terms of mechanics. Vice versa, while some may be fairly fun to play and may have had a notable following they haven't really achieved much technically.

Mod releases:
Fiend Hunter or LTH's Fiend Hunted - FH is a great example of silver age ambition, but I think FHD is just the better game to play.
FrogBot Clan Arena, though knowing that the most complete version is for QW it might not fit in a pack of NQ mods, so I'd give Orion's Quake Soccer or Holywars a vote instead (did anyone ever do a Holywars CTF variant?).
Vile or The Horror - I *love* the feel of Vile, but again I think The Horror makes for a better game.
Minion Arena (though Coffee's TF Bot would be worth including too)
Chapter Honour - I can't recall any other Quake release that has tried to mechanically emulate any other tabletop game (WH40K 2e in CH's case) this accurately, _all the way down to the dice rolls_.

One of Tei's KiU releases and variants could be worth including, too.

I would love to nominate Tanx but it hasn't worked in versions of DP going back five or seven years. :| And I'm sure I've forgotten a hundred vaguely interesting examples from the golden age on the cdrom.com mirrors like Duelcoop, Parasite or any of the other SP/MP game variants.

Map releases:
Soul of Evil
Tronyn's Arcanum demo - I love Tronyn's work in general, but I *absoutely* love Doom-style idhell and wish more maps would use the theme.
yog1dm1 (one of my absolute favorite duel maps, it easily ranks with CPM23 and pjw3tourney3)
OUM
Travail
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Mods:
1. PerQuake, for the ahead-of-the-time professional production value touch put to the sound and art department. Mods weren't like this for a long time. It's timeless.
2. Future vs. Fantasy. The class based mod that even supports single play to some degree. It spawned a bunch of imitators, some good (genclasses) and some terrible (DNL). Still it's influential, though the company that made it since couldn't have any luck capitalizing on the era mix class idea in their commercial Purge series. (*cough*lithtech is crap*cough*)
3. AirQuake. It has great pixel art skins on well crafted EDIT.COM made MDL files with some AI vehicles and other functional crap! One of the earliest polished mods of the non-FPS kind. This got Fingers a job with those rock stars at Ion Storm.
4. Quake Superheroes. This is a server-side mod that granted players to choose 3 powers. This created a lot of gameplay variance that hasn't been replicated much (only one for Q2 and two for Q3 exist). Kids these days would think this ripped off Modern Warfare 2's 'perks'... highly underrated these days.
5. Pain Keep. Some maps may be duds but these are the coolest atmospheric levels ever! Matched by only some of the coolest items ever (autosentry, beartrap, airfist beans, black hole, harpoon gun (which to, still today is the coolest grappling hook variant ever)). Play this with your coolest friends ever and you're gonna have the coolest blast ever.

Maps:
- Fill in later
i should not be here
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

This vote will probably end May 1st. Get your votes in, I will include all mods/maps that people truly believe are worthy of being included. If a mod/map is given a good reason that it shouldn't be considered the "Best" of Quake, then it will not be included.

NOTE: Private message me to leave your comments about what shouldn't be included, should someone suggest one. I will not disclose anything anyone has told me, in honor of the creators. I'm nice like that.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Mods:
Hurried Descent
The Ascension Of Vigil
Quess
Gyro
Frikbot
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Mods:
1- AOP The Final Mission