Change player size?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Karall

Change player size?

Post by Karall »

So, the quake guy is kinda small and puny. Kinda looks like your crouching. So what i wanna do is make the player size taller, and also making your "camera" higher up. How would i do this? Using darkplaces btw. Model does not matter as my game is singleplayer.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

client.qc, putclientinserver, self.view_ofs = '0 0 22'; .

change that and you it'll do what you want. =)
Karall

Post by Karall »

Thanks man. Ile try it soon.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

You will experience other problems though, Like getting shot. A headshot won't be the same
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that only changes the first person view mexicouger, which by his explanation sounds like what he was referring to. shouldnt effect anything but the view.
Karall

Post by Karall »

It worked quite nicely, but does this change the player size?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

no, the players size would have to be changed with a new model. the size of the quake guy is acurate to the world hes in. even if you were to change the size of the player model, it wouldnt matter. the collision boxes wouldnt match your model.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

ceriux wrote:no, the players size would have to be changed with a new model. the size of the quake guy is acurate to the world hes in. even if you were to change the size of the player model, it wouldnt matter. the collision boxes wouldnt match your model.
Yes, my advice if you don't want to mess with custom hull sizes is this.

Start with your model, make sure it fits in the player hull size.

Build your mod around this, make sure your maps are built with this scale in size, as well as other models.
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

Or seeing as hes using Darkplaces he could just use Q3BSP and be free of hull sizes.

The .veiw_ofs offsets from the orign of the players bounding box. So you can change the mins and maxs when you set the model to adjust the phiysal size of the player and then use the .veiw_ofs to get the camera height to your likeing.
Karall

Post by Karall »

Well one problem with this is that my guns still shoot the regular quake marine hight. How would i fix this?
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Learn to code better, and changing the view heights is a piece of cake.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Mexicouger wrote:Learn to code better, and changing the view heights is a piece of cake.
:lol:

Pro in the house, kids.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Downsider wrote:
Mexicouger wrote:Learn to code better, and changing the view heights is a piece of cake.

Pro in the house, kids.
Just stating the facts. Changing the view height is as easy as changing a vector number.

Example:
setorigin (missile, self.origin + v_forward*8 + '0 0 16');

The '0 0 16' is the value you want to adjust. The original Quake players camera was set at '0 0 22'

So just adjust it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Arkage wrote:Or seeing as hes using Darkplaces he could just use Q3BSP and be free of hull sizes.
There's a cvar in darkplaces that does that on other bsp formats, too. CROUCHING INTO TINY Q1 AREAS FTW

Also you're all forgetting setsize.
i should not be here
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Mexicouger wrote:
Downsider wrote:

Pro in the house, kids.
Just stating the facts. Changing the view height is as easy as changing a vector number.

Example:
setorigin (missile, self.origin + v_forward*8 + '0 0 16');

The '0 0 16' is the value you want to adjust. The original Quake players camera was set at '0 0 22'

So just adjust it.
Sorry, the irony was just too much. I couldn't resist commenting on it.