[RELEASE] OpenQuartz 2

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Chip

[RELEASE] OpenQuartz 2

Post by Chip »

Here is the first incarnation of OpenQuartz 2, the sequel to the first GPL attempt of a Quake engine.

This is version 0.2 and these are the changes so far:

- updated frikbot to 0.10.2
- updated progs to 1.06

0.1a

- based on OpenQuartzWindows2004.08.01
- added DarkPlaces executable (build 20091106)
- added JPEG and ZLIB dll libraries
- converted .pak files to .pk3
- created a new readme.txt file

The link is in my signature.

What's next for OpenQuartz 2? QC source cleanup and basic CSQC implementation.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
leileilol

Re: [RELEASE] OpenQuartz 2

Post by leileilol »

Chip wrote:the sequel to the first GPL attempt of a Quake engine.
OpenQuartz wasn't an engine project. It originally bundled with QuakeForge and was part of the Quakeforge project.

Also watch out for some non-Free stuff still lingering in OQ - they haven't ever replaced the modified Q2 sounds, the Windows 95 screen, etc. and a lot of the sounds have questionable origin and were added for their "freeware" status.

You may think i'm complaining about ridiculous things when it comes to Quake mods, but this is a "100% GPL game" for crying out loud! It's a different matter when it's blindly relicensed misinformation!
i should not be here
Chip

Re: [RELEASE] OpenQuartz 2

Post by Chip »

leileilol wrote:Also watch out for some non-Free stuff still lingering in OQ - they haven't ever replaced the modified Q2 sounds, the Windows 95 screen, etc. and a lot of the sounds have questionable origin and were added for their "freeware" status.

You may think i'm complaining about ridiculous things when it comes to Quake mods, but this is a "100% GPL game" for crying out loud! It's a different matter when it's blindly relicensed misinformation!
All content will be replaced with GPL content, even fonts. I found some sites that provide GPL fonts.

Feel free to "complain" about anything. Constructive critique always helps. :wink:
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

leileilol

Post by leileilol »

To be honest I don't like OpenQuartz as a whole at all, it's entirely placeholder. Its role IS a placeholder. I tried a fork already with something resembling a more solid design thant OQ, and no one seemed really interested, not even the Free zealots.

I got this far:
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Nice one. I'll DL tomorrow, but a quick question. Given that the ID1 maps are now GPL, did yopu decide to use them? :D
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

leileilol wrote:To be honest I don't like OpenQuartz as a whole at all, it's entirely placeholder. Its role IS a placeholder. I tried a fork already with something resembling a more solid design thant OQ, and no one seemed really interested, not even the Free zealots.
Probably not enough marketing. You have to tell others that something exist, make some screenshots, and things.

But as you say, OQ is a placeholder proyect. And as such, is very very very very usefull. I have made more than 4 standalone mods, probably illegal, merging a TC + the OQ files. A complete replacement of the files is of not use to me. Since I will replace these files by the ones in the TC, probably...

But I can see some people interested in it. Like the "Netquake" community, ... these people would probably love to distribute a version of netquake with good models, and you are a excellent modeller, so your models probably beat some of the OQ ones, so these people will love to use your models. These people may not be interested in the engines and other files you may want to bundle, but will be interested in "eyecandy" stuff like better models.
Chip

Post by Chip »

leileilol wrote:To be honest I don't like OpenQuartz as a whole at all, it's entirely placeholder. Its role IS a placeholder.
I'll replace all .lmp files with TGA alternatives and turn .pak files to .pk3. Make the job easier for modders.
mh wrote:Nice one. I'll DL tomorrow, but a quick question. Given that the ID1 maps are now GPL, did yopu decide to use them? :D
I'm not sure. Given that OQ uses DarkPlaces, I'll try to add new maps. I might also bundle the GPL'd ID maps, just for Quake's sake.
Teiman wrote:Probably not enough marketing. You have to tell others that something exist, make some screenshots, and things.

But as you say, OQ is a placeholder proyect. And as such, is very very very very usefull. I have made more than 4 standalone mods, probably illegal, merging a TC + the OQ files. A complete replacement of the files is of not use to me. Since I will replace these files by the ones in the TC, probably...
Yes, OQ will be a placeholder project. A GPL engine. I'm already working on version 0.3, and I'm doing some research for licensing. I really intend to have it all GPLd.
Teiman wrote: But I can see some people interested in it. Like the "Netquake" community, ... these people would probably love to distribute a version of netquake with good models, and you are a excellent modeller, so your models probably beat some of the OQ ones, so these people will love to use your models. These people may not be interested in the engines and other files you may want to bundle, but will be interested in "eyecandy" stuff like better models.
I will surely add "eyecandy", within certain limits, all of them properly documented.

I will also add screenshots, I'll use all available engines for testing, and I'll write down anything.

It's still early, but it's been in my head for way too long. I want to have this free engine improved and documented and lots of other ideas.

There are many things that need to be filtered right now.

@mh: starting OQ2 with DirectQ gives a console error about not founding demo1.dem. Of course OQ2 won't have any demos, so is there any posibility of adding something to default.cfg to jump straight to menu?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

mh

Post by mh »

Chip wrote:@mh: starting OQ2 with DirectQ gives a console error about not founding demo1.dem. Of course OQ2 won't have any demos, so is there any posibility of adding something to default.cfg to jump straight to menu?
Ah, I see where that's coming from. Yeah, I can adjust the code so that if the default demos aren't present it goes to the menu instead.
Chip

Post by Chip »

mh wrote:
Chip wrote:@mh: starting OQ2 with DirectQ gives a console error about not founding demo1.dem. Of course OQ2 won't have any demos, so is there any posibility of adding something to default.cfg to jump straight to menu?
Ah, I see where that's coming from. Yeah, I can adjust the code so that if the default demos aren't present it goes to the menu instead.
Yeah, like a condition. If demo playing returns error, jump to menu. Thanks.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

metlslime

Post by metlslime »

couldn't you just edit quake.rc to not start the demos?
Chip

Post by Chip »

metlslime wrote:couldn't you just edit quake.rc to not start the demos?
There's nothing in there, only the list of config files. And there's nothing inside the config files, either.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

mh

Post by mh »

Chip wrote:
metlslime wrote:couldn't you just edit quake.rc to not start the demos?
There's nothing in there, only the list of config files. And there's nothing inside the config files, either.
Precisely. that won't work with the latest DirectQ because I hard-coded the contents of the default quake.rc into the engine. And no, I have no idea whatsoever what I was thinking when I did it. Stupid.
Spike

Post by Spike »

in default.cfg:
alias startdemos "echo Welcome to Quake"

job done.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Spike wrote:in default.cfg:
alias startdemos "echo Welcome to Quake"

job done.
I hear you, but you heard MH. They're hardcoded. I just tried it and it still wants to play the demos.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Teiman

Post by Teiman »

i think the demos are started on quake.rc with the command playdemos.

or something like that, I could be wrong.