Direct 3D 9.0c Quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

leileilol wrote:Well considering you can't even install 9.0c (note the c) on Win9X, the target platform is out of the question unfortunately. Hey, I can't get anything newer than 7 on my 486 either, even in Windows 2000. (Win2k on a 486 is not a typo. I even had the patience to run Cinebench r10)
Orly? Then what the hell am I looking at here when I run DXDIAG?!

http://tlb.quakedev.com/PICS/misc/dxdiag.jpg

Also, my Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries (and even my copy of Crimson Skies) has 8.1 on it.
mh

Post by mh »

I haven't specifically coded anything in the engine to prevent it from running on Windows 98, but in all honesty I'm not prepared to offer support for any of the Win9x line. I don't have a 95/98/98SE/ME box to even test it on, I don't have an old version of the Windows SDK to link against (and thus ensure that I'm not using any API calls that aren't supported), I haven't installed any of the 9x line since early/mid 2000 (and even before then I was using NT4 on my own machines wherever possible), I can't even get Win9x drivers for a lot of my current hardware, Win9x won't even work with the amount of RAM and disk space I have, and - looking straight in your face - the Win9x line is a horrible old clunker of a 16-bit OS with 32-bit "functionality" hacked on to it that really needs to be taken outside and shot.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
r00k

Post by r00k »

The new version 1.6.3 crashes when i goto multiplayer setup. "memory could not be written.. something something... :(
mh

Post by mh »

r00k wrote:The new version 1.6.3 crashes when i goto multiplayer setup. "memory could not be written.. something something... :(
I know what that is - it's the menu banner pic loading being hit by a stray pointer somewhere. If you just run it again it most probably won't crash; it's very random and fails to crash more often than it does crash, for which reason I've never been able to really debug it properly.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

mh wrote:I haven't specifically coded anything in the engine to prevent it from running on Windows 98, but in all honesty I'm not prepared to offer support for any of the Win9x line.
Oh, okay I was just checking to make sure you didn't accidentally do something that broke it for older systems or something. :wink:

I'll just give this a try on my win2k machine later.
mh

Post by mh »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
mh wrote:I haven't specifically coded anything in the engine to prevent it from running on Windows 98, but in all honesty I'm not prepared to offer support for any of the Win9x line.
Oh, okay I was just checking to make sure you didn't accidentally do something that broke it for older systems or something. :wink:
I may have done all the same. :lol:

Especially with the API linking part - I use the Windows API a lot more heavily than original Quake does, and may be linking to one or more functions that are 2000+ only.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Did you really remove condump? If you did then please what equivalent did you replace it with? ..or is it in the readme I should read ? :wink:

..BTW Prydon Gate breaks DirectQ. A similar but probably not so related DP issue I was having... Anyway let me splain a bit. :D

..In the sewer of Prydon Gate, directly after I kill my 1st monster bug it crashes to the console with: cl_parseservermessage illegible server message :roll:
mh

Post by mh »

xaGe wrote:..Did you really remove condump? If you did then please what equivalent did you replace it with? ..or is it in the readme I should read ? :wink:

..BTW Prydon Gate breaks DirectQ. A similar but probably not so related DP issue I was having... Anyway let me splain a bit. :D

..In the sewer of Prydon Gate, directly after I kill my 1st monster bug it crashes to the console with: cl_parseservermessage illegible server message :roll:
You mean the console debug log? It should still be there (hell, I only used it myself 2 days ago), but I did change how it works a little as the old io.h functions used were pretty vile. It might not work from the command-line (translation: I haven't tested), but it's also cvar controlled now, so set condebug 1 to enable it.

Try Prydon with 1.7 and do let me know. ;)
http://directq.codeplex.com/Release/Pro ... seId=32343
Last edited by mh on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Ahh you changed it.. Mmmkay.. :roll:

1.7 is out.. NICE!
mh

Post by mh »

xaGe wrote:..Ahh you changed it.. Mmmkay.. :roll:
I kinda had no option cos the old code wouldn't compile too good when converted to C++. I'll add a review of this to the tho-do list for 1.8 - I want to switch it to Windows API file functions anyway.
Gatts

Post by Gatts »

Great work, i'm thinking of using this for my project. I've posted a few issues on the CodePlex page but so far i'm very impressed. Excellent work!
mh

Post by mh »

Gatts wrote:Great work, i'm thinking of using this for my project. I've posted a few issues on the CodePlex page but so far i'm very impressed. Excellent work!
Good stuff, a bug report like this is an opportunity for me to take something that was done wrong and do it right. :D
Gatts

Post by Gatts »

Well, i've been working with the engine for a few hours and have decided that i want to use it for my project. The addition of C++ to me is an excellent opportunity.

I've been adding little bits here and there, and because i have a background in Direct3D and prefer it over OpenGL this is perfect for me!

Do you use any instant messengers or irc? I'd like to chat with you and i could help you find bugs if you wish.

Thanks,
Gatts
r00k

Post by r00k »

Gatts post update when your project gets established.
MH, it would be cool if you could have a built-in quakeC editor/compiler in the engine, realtime csqc :P ahh where's my coffee.. :oops:
mh

Post by mh »

r00k wrote:Gatts post update when your project gets established.
MH, it would be cool if you could have a built-in quakeC editor/compiler in the engine, realtime csqc :P ahh where's my coffee.. :oops:
Heh, I thought at one stage about letting it be able to handle raw QC, but in the end I'm aiming this engine at players rather than mappers or modders.