Introduction Thread

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Hi everyone. My name is jukki (in xbl Thy JuKki) My real name is Jussi Joki. I am 15 (2.1.1995) years old boy from Finland. I speak Finnish, English (I suck at it for some reason), lilbit France and Swedish.

Skills: I started modding about year and half ago. I got my psp about 2.5 years ago and My friend instaled CFW to it. Then I started to look games for it. I found about quake mod halo solitude. I am HUGE fan of halo and it was only mater of seconds when I become part of that community. One day I found worldcraft tutorial from that forum. I started learning mapping. I becamed mapper. I recently even won solitudes mapping competion. Recently I thought I could expend my quake modding skills and I chosed qc. I have been learning qc now about one month. And I am coding and mapping for Nazi zombies portable
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Hello, my name is Ranger366, my real name is Marco, and im older than thought. Im living in Germany, and my english is not the best for you, im starting soon an english program where i will start learning it by real situations in the United States (lol). I started first with Quake 3 mapping, then with Doom 3 Mapping, then with Half-Life Mapping. Im one who said Half-Life is just epic work, i wasnt there in 1998, when it was released... but i know how everyone felt like playing this.
I know the Programming languages C++ and Visual Basic (not .Net, old Classic version 6)

Im working now on a better HL1 Port on the Quake Engine, i already modified Sisah`s work and know how he made everything, i remade a full working WON Menu, im in some forums already known, and people who know me good know that i know what i do, and im doing it good.

Im really happy to be in a forums with Quakers like you.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

it's great to know that people are still popping up here. I love to see this community getting new people, and it seems to be happening quite frequently.

Welcome to you all. Enjoy your stay :)
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

Hello,

My name is Rich... 'cough' 42 years old... not the oldest and far from the youngest.

My background is riddled with various programming languages with various levels of skill... none of which I can claim to be proficient at... assembly, Fortran, basic, Qbasic, C, visual basic, QuakeC, maybe a couple of others. I can say for sure that QuakeC is my favorite by far as it provides a near instant gratification.

I am currently employed as field service technician for a company who sells wide format printers. My area covers all of north west United States.

On a personal note... I recently took a vacation and flew to Kauai with my girlfriend... we came back as a married couple!

Lets see, what else.... oh! I just became a grandpa as of 1am yesterday!! I have a granddaughter!! Her name is Lydia.

OK... to wrap this up...
I just gotta say that the forum here is awesome. There are a lot of things that can make or break a forum... but the one thing, above all else, that makes or breaks a forum... are it's members.
I am amazed by the incredible number of talented people here.
Good God! You shot my leg off!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Welcome aboard grandpa Junrall, and congratulations for lil' Lydia!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Mathuzzz

Post by Mathuzzz »

Hi there, my name is Matus, I´m 22. I started with games long time ago(1994) with Doom of course. I tried some editors from time to time, but never took it seriously, until last year. I´m wokring on medieval mod right now.
something

Post by something »

werd! my real name is Daniel. im from melbourne aus, im 22 or 23 i cant remember. my story begins on a Mac SE making silly little programs/game-ish things in Hypercard when i was probably in grade 3/4 or something.. one day i got a demo of infini-D and i started getting distracted from everything and ended up spending all my time making 3d things.i dont remember exactly when i first played quake. but it was along time ago. probably 97 or something. then a friend of mine who was working for a local game developer showed me 3dsmax and i got absolutely addicted. i remember staying up days on end just making 3d scenes and animations. during this time my brother was also quite into quake and started mapping. he released a couple of maps one of which i think was reviewed on teamshambler as a 'vertical moshpit' or some such. he participated in speedmapping a little bit. but i think only 1 or 2 were ever public.
i made a couple of mods but nother ever saw the light of day. but i recently dug up a couple of them. and i have no idea how i managed to pull off some of the stuff. because i really had no idea about quakec. so i think most of it was just cutting and pasting and fiddling around with things.
found a old thing of a blood2 mod for quake i did. which had classes,prettymuch all weapons.multiplayerbot, and a realllly really bad player model of caleb. and lots of art and sounds ripped from blood2.

then there was this strange period where everything blurred and i cant really remember what was going on. i think it was about the time that i discovered girls, alcohol and drugs. and i didnt touch 3d, or much more than playing games for a few years. then someone passed along a copy of 3dsmax 3 or 4 or something to me. and i was back in. i have a page up on the source dev community page. but i should probably take it down. because i never have anytime to do anything with other modders. i tried to join a couple of source mod teams. but was not very impressed with the organisation of them.
or maybe its more to do with the over organisation of things to a point where nothing ever got done.
though the quality of the works they have produced were fairly good. so it probably just didnt click with me.

i sorta just faded out of that area. and have come back to my roots somewhat. i still get quite a few requests to do models for source mods. but alas time is shite and they dont know what they want alot. if not all the time.
anyway nowdays im back into quake and enjoying it. and have been thoroughly impressed with is still happening with one of my favourite games(and game engines).
recently got inspired by the remake being done of dear esther and restarted messing around with darkplaces not particularly with its special features, but just seeing what sort of quality i can produce with it. but im having to re-introduce myself to quakec.

im trying to make some sort of singleplayer jigger. so ill see how that goes.

ramble ramble ignore my grammer or dont im lazy and i should be asleep.
Chip

Am I repeating myself?

Post by Chip »

Welcome something, I'd like to add as a small side note, damn it, I never knew computers existed in 3rd or 4th grade.

Yeah, I'm 30, but that doesn't justify it. I'm from Romania, that should justify it. I started programming using Basic on an HC 81, ZX Spectrum. I used to go to library with a razor blade and cut pages from Basic programming books. I went back home and tried all that code. I even did a small, crippled, ugly and non functional clone of Warcraft 2. I taped it on a cassette and gave it to friends. I had a cassette recorder and I had a friend with an HC, too. We used to spend hours and hours trying all possible programs.

I stopped when my father, either pissed off or drunk, broke my HC in two pieces. That's when I abandoned programming. I started learning Visual Basic and I did a couple of windows and some text fields. Then I got into Windows 95 and Quake.

I had a friend who used to work in an Internet Cafe. I played all day and all night Quake, Acrophobia, DM7, fortsge, DM4, DM6, DM2 and other famous maps at that time.

I did mapping back then using Qoole. I even took part in a Quake contest and I won a mouse pad. I was 4th place. 1st place got a last generation computer. We never saw such a big tower or such a big monitor. After 4 years or playing Quake, Chasm, Hexen and Blood (among other games such as AOE, Warcraft 2 and Red Alert) I forgot about Quake.

It was 3 years later, when working as a voice-over for a local TV station, that I rediscovered Quake. I used to stay late with a coworker/friend and play Quake on some barebone Compaq PCs. Hundreds of maps, downloaded from the Internet, warmed our evenings. We used to stay late, with the bodyguard enjoying our fierce matches. Damn, that bodyguard was such a redneck :)

Our passion for Quake lasted for 3 months, and we even came to work during the weekends and play the game. THE GAME. THE GAME! - yes, I'm shouting

Then it faded. Quake faded as real life problems took over.

Years after, I discovered different Quake engines. Darkplaces, Telejano, QRack, ezQuake and more eye-candy engine modifications. I replayed Quake coop singleplayer with my current associate. Then I started monitoring each new version and read the changelog to see what's new and tested that feature. Then I discovered Inside3D, func_messageboard, Quakeone and several other now-dead sites.

That's when I said I need to give something back to the community. I wish I could do more. I wish I saw more finished games, such as Nexuiz, even Urre's car game. That's a nice indie project.

I'm working on a Quake singleplayer modification myself. I intend to have it standalone using DP. I got tons of modifications into the original source, and combined it with Kleshik and dpmod and several others. I rewrote many features from several other open source mods and integrated them into my mod. Hopefully, I'll have something, someday to show to you.

All I hope is the Quake community - as small as it is - never dies.

It's a long post and I remember I wrote another introductory post, but I felt like I needed to write this.

Cheers and happy modding!
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
WhiteMagicRaven

Re: Am I repeating myself?

Post by WhiteMagicRaven »

Chip wrote:Quake, Chasm, Hexen and Blood
This is my favorite games =)
GiffE

Re: Am I repeating myself?

Post by GiffE »

WhiteMagicRaven wrote:
Chip wrote:Quake, Chasm, Hexen and Blood
This is my favorite games =)
Wonderful! And who might you be? :D
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

My name is Tevin Dahl

I have been modding quake for around 2 years. I started as a mapper. I actually started real rough(with leaks and whatnot). But Times are starting to clear. I have had My own quake 1 psp Project for around 6 months. I puck it up and put it down rapidly. But I have recently picked it up with the ability to code qc. That boosted my will to finish the game.

This forum and it's members has helped me to achieve what I never thought I could. I hope that once I am at a feasable Coding stage, that I may be able to help other members in their quest to learn qc.
mrmmaclean

Post by mrmmaclean »

Hello all!

I'm mrmmaclean, aka Micheal (can you guess what my last name is???). I mostly work on art and programming with a bit of freelance design when the mood strikes me. I generally code in Actionscript 3.0 for Flash apps but I am trying to learn a little more and thought Quake would be fun to explore and play around with code-wise! (also just to play, of course, though I kinda suck as FPS games lol)

I really like the Flash port of Quake and am using that as my starting point, and since gaining an understanding of how they interact with each other I'm super pumped!!!

So, I hope I can be at least a somewhat productive member of the forum and from reading many threads already I know I'll enjoy it here!
qbism

Post by qbism »

mrmmaclean wrote:Hello all!
I really like the Flash port of Quake and am using that as my starting point, and since gaining an understanding of how they interact with each other I'm super pumped!!!
Excellent! I can relate. That potential to play instantly is what got me re-interested in Quake.
mrmmaclean

Post by mrmmaclean »

qbism wrote:Excellent! I can relate. That potential to play instantly is what got me re-interested in Quake.
Yeah, I really like the idea of an easily moddable 3D game engine in Flash! I was actually digging around in your source for the Makaqu port for kicks and was inspired to join. :o
Karatorian

Post by Karatorian »

I suppose I should drop a little note in here. My name is Levi Aho and I've been writing code for many years now. I got into Quake as it was one of the earliest games with good Linux support and low hardware requirements. By the time I really got into it, it was a few generations old, but still a great game.

The mod scene and Quake's easy customizablity are what's kept me interested in the game over the years. I especially like that the GPL release of the source code has allowed for the tech to advance, while still offering a range of options for different hardware. Many games these days simply won't run acceptably on older hardware, which is a shame.

My current interest in Quake is more as a game engine than in the game itself. I've been a bit of hobbyist game developer for years, so I figured really getting into 3d (most of my experience is in 2d) would be a good idea. Also, not starting from scratch might actually let me finish something for once.

Not that I've lost interest in the game itself though. I've been playing a lot of mods and maps recently, now that I've started hanging around here and other Quake sites. (Other peoples mods can be kinda hazardous to getting any work done on your own stuff, but it's fun.)