Effects for Sound Effects

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
SusanMDK

Effects for Sound Effects

Post by SusanMDK »

Are there any plans to have effects for sound effects? Or are we doomed to have the sounds sound the same in every room? I would like to hear some reverb, echo, flanger, pitch changes and modulate them with LFO.

What about are the sounds following the entity that made the sound, or do they just stick to the spot the sound started at?

Are there any engines that already do something for the sounds?
zbang!
Urre

Post by Urre »

hear hear
I was once a Quake modder
Chris

Post by Chris »

Pitch modulation would be fantastic, even Half-Life1 era reverb could add a lot of depth. Can't say I'd hold my breath though until someone convinces LH or another capable dev it is worth their time.
Spike

Post by Spike »

halflife has special triggers that change what sound effects to use based on area.

I had a go implementing eax in fte for underwater effects. It seemed... clumsy. It would only initialise half the time or something.
Dunno, maybe I was just initialising it wrongly.
Either way, while its possible to add, but it needs a lot of gamecode interaction, because doing it automatically will be too random. Or the engine could look for the triggers...
Chris

Post by Chris »

That would be the idea, providing developers with tools capable of adding it to maps, not enhancing mods / games this engine supports pre-installment of the feature unless its something that is inherent
within the world (like your sound changes underwater).
goldenboy

Re: Effects for Sound Effects

Post by goldenboy »

jim wrote: What about are the sounds following the entity that made the sound, or do they just stick to the spot the sound started at?
I'd like to know if this is possible in a Quake 1 engine.

Example: Rockets emitting sound like in Quake 2.

?
mh

Post by mh »

Chris wrote:Pitch modulation would be fantastic, even Half-Life1 era reverb could add a lot of depth. Can't say I'd hold my breath though until someone convinces LH or another capable dev it is worth their time.
I'm convinced (although whether I'm capable is another matter :lol: ) and it's on my to-do list; specifically the underwater effects mentioned above. I've already migrated my sound code to DirectSound 8 so it should be a lot easier.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

goldenboy wrote:
jim wrote: What about are the sounds following the entity that made the sound, or do they just stick to the spot the sound started at?

?
um, i dont see why it wouldnt be possible, but i think that would be more of a QC thing wouldnt it?
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

ceriux wrote:
goldenboy wrote:

?
um, i dont see why it wouldnt be possible, but i think that would be more of a QC thing wouldnt it?
It's not really possible in standard QC, since sounds are staticly placed, and don't follow their parent entities around. You could make a very short sound and have the rocket play it every few frames, but that would kinda suck.
Apathy Now!
Urre

Post by Urre »

In CSQC they follow entities around...
I was once a Quake modder
MDave

Post by MDave »

It's a funny coincidence that all the features we want these days are things Half-Life have. :lol: I wonder how many of us would switch over to Half-Life for modding if that ever got open-sourced.

How about this: Get in contact with the original Half-Life engine coders and ask them a bunch of questions, possibly revealing how certain things were done :P

PS: Did I just hear Arnold's voice? :lol:

PPS: I totally didn't know rockets didn't emit their own sound in Quake. I thought they did :shock:
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

MDave wrote:It's a funny coincidence that all the features we want these days are things Half-Life have. :lol: I wonder how many of us would switch over to Half-Life for modding if that ever got open-sourced.
Nope, DP is a lot more advanced than the HL engine, despite a few quirks. Also, gamecode for HL is an arse to do, not as easy as QC.
Apathy Now!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

when ever you say QC the clouds part to let the sun shone through and a heavenly choir sounds ... then you test it and its a killing spree of evil and blood. best of both
bah
MDave

Post by MDave »

MauveBib wrote:
MDave wrote:It's a funny coincidence that all the features we want these days are things Half-Life have. :lol: I wonder how many of us would switch over to Half-Life for modding if that ever got open-sourced.
Nope, DP is a lot more advanced than the HL engine, despite a few quirks. Also, gamecode for HL is an arse to do, not as easy as QC.
But it still lacks things HL does. And it doesn't have a software rendering mode. :( And there is no chance of porting the engine to an embedded device or other low spec platforms because of its much higher requirements :P This might not sound important to people that just like to mod on the PC, but its rather important for people that use it on other devices or platforms.

I love QC though :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

<apples> more advanced than <oranges>
I really have come to hate that expression.

It doesn't convey any information.

And it is hard to compare apples to oranges when oranges don't do everything that apples do.

I appreciate all the advancement that apples have to offer, yet I still crave what oranges have to offer.

The idea would be something that offered everything that the best apples have to offer, while having all the options oranges have to offer meanwhile -- yes I'm crazy -- while offering none of the disadvantages of apples OR oranges.

Trying to stay on topic, I'd really like it if apples offered the muck with the sound option that oranges have. Or if someone knew of an open source pear with this feature because I am kind of fond of the feature myself.

But really, Spike said enough ...