Prydon Modelling

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

no i want to know if it's the usual crappy res of 1024x400 so i can make fun of him
i should not be here
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

hey cheapalert instead of being a dick why not try giving useful advice and comments for once?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

"Stop using QME" is my best advice. "Good work" isn't advice.
i should not be here
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

CheapAlert wrote:"Stop using QME" is my best advice. "Good work" isn't advice.
Oh okay, because he uses qME as a modeling tool possibly he automatically sucks even though he makes pretty damn good Quake-type models as everyone here has seen. Obviously everyone here is blind and you know art from shit yet we don't, right.

You may be able to make good models but you're an idiot if you think anyone here gives a shit since the only kind of models you make are for yourself, yet you seek validation here if they're good in the first place? Why? When is the last time you've ever seriously helped someones project but your own? Oh right, never.

Why not go to a modelers forum to show off your hot elitst shit we should all worship if you're so great instead of coming here and shitting up our forum?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

CheapAlert wrote:"Stop using QME" is my best advice. "Good work" isn't advice.
If your real intention were to give any advice. But that's not what you're doing, you're just bashing his work for nothing. I'd really want to see some of YOUR work to make some fair comparisons. And believe me, I don't give a damn if you're using 3DSMax, qME or MS Paint.

A mediocre artist using professional tools won't produce good work. A really talented modeller can do it even using non-professional tools. If he's used to model with qME, that's great. As long he's not restraining his skills because the tool is limited, there's no problem.

And Chillo: GOOD WORK. It's my only advice :) Keep pumping these models, dude.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK]

Post by Up2nOgOoD[ROCK] »

Wow. that last player model (the prince) is really great. I tried Prydon a while back but I remember the models were a bit lacking and movement was hard. I hope this rekindles motivation to those who work on the mod to come back and work on it some more =)

Actually, the only thing I would change about the player model are his forearms. They are just too big, bigger than his biceps.
-up2
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

That's probably just the angle... the biceps are closer to a 45 degree angle perspective which is the angle they look their thinnest since arms are 4 sided...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

The flail of flailing!!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Me like! Dreamcast might not like though, but oh well.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Chillo

Post by Chillo »

DAS BOOTS

My hat is off to Error for the awesome model. I only did the skin.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

DAS BOOT IST DAS GUT

My German however isnt.
And snap, good job Error.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Go Chillo, go Chillo!
I was once a Quake modder
TargetPractice

Post by TargetPractice »

I find myself suddenly awaiting further releases.

Queries: Why model the individual links on the chain? It looks good, I'll admit(skin included), Is that model going to be for 'inventory display' only, or am I incorrectly assuming that an effective maximum polycount for models in Quake exists?

Second off, no offense, but the handle for the rapier seems disproportionately large in comparison to the size of the blade. It's a matter of taste, true, BUT I still worry.

Good luck with the rest of the modelling (and skinning, and whatever else.)
I never thought hearing pained, fearful screams could make one feel so... uplifted.

What?
Entar

Post by Entar »

TargetPractice wrote:Why model the individual links on the chain?
It's true that this would be easier done with an alpha channel and only, say, a few polygons. However, in the interest of compatibility with earlier engines, the individual links will have to do.

Nice work, chillo.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Urre wrote:Go Chillo, go Chillo!
Oh, and Error too, a bit...

About the flail, I'm kind of on the same track, it could look just fine without perfect chain links. My recommendation is that you connect the empty space inside the links, making them solid and thus lowering the polygon amount a bit, make them elongated and use fewer links, and just draw the link shape with black on the polygons, so you effectively have long octagon shaped objects with the illusion of being chain links, just like links were made back in the good ol' days. It'll look great in prydon.
I was once a Quake modder