fimg needs tooltips

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I always found that whole thing about "inventing it" odd. This is the type of claim a 6th grader makes about their dad, not a career politician with a lot to his name attributes to themselves.

That and we have the identity of those involved with the formative times of the internet and the world wide web, so its a bit of a silly claim period, much like "I invented Ford automobiles."
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

Here is the infamous Gore quote that deserves ridicule:
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
even if he didn't literally use the word 'invented', he was clearly taking a great deal of credit for its creation.

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/03/18390

As for Bush, his problem with the word isn't pronunciation but
of syntax since the 's' he adds gives the word a plural form.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

On grammar versus pronunciation, I think there's a number of ways to interpret what he said. I said it was an error in pronunciation out of generosity, but grammar indeed would be closer to the mark. Grammar, to me however, implies more an error in the construction of the sentence. Perhaps the best way to look at it is as a factual error -- maybe he believes there is more than one internet and therefore his phrasing is correct, his facts are wrong.

Or maybe his facts are right! There are "secret" prisons after all, maybe there are also secret internets! We may be on to something here.

http://www.dailyhowler.com/h032699_1.shtml

So Al Gore gets one word out of place in an interview with Wolf Blitzer 8 years ago where-in he takes partial credit for something he indeed did help and foster. Clearly, that's a career ending mistake and material for a recurring 'joke' for whenever his name crops up.

On the other hand, the person who said we are resolved to arm the terrorist enemy gets to go on being president.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

dammit, i knew i should have nuked ie before making that picture
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

So Al Gore gets one word out of place in an interview with Wolf Blitzer 8 years ago where-in he takes partial credit for something he indeed did help and foster
Yeah, the article I pointed to neglected to mention the Clinton Administration's (Gore lead tech policy) moratorium on allowing local and state sales taxation on internet transactions. Probably more than any other factor this made the internet commercially viable in a very short period of time. Funny how little credit they got for that.
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

Here in spain there are bridges with the text "build by XXXYYYZZZ the year 1964" where XXXYYYZZZ is the name of a politician.

Seems thats how politician work: claim credits for everything, even if that bridge whas already planned by a older politician.

On the old Egipt, the pharaons used to delete the name of the old ones, to write his own.

Politician suck that way. Or more precise: human behings suck.