Make the QExpo better

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I'm having an operation in a couple of months, which will mean 3 months-ish off work; bad for pay but great for doing some modding
Hehe, Ajay, you crack me up ;) ... I hope it's not too serious, though (the three months off-work make me fear it's probably nothing to be very happy about (except if you're getting yourself a new pair of boobs, but I doubt that (not sure your wife would appreciate that), plus I'm sure if you waited a couple of years still and ate the "right" food, you'd be growing your own - okay, I'm getting awefully off-topic now...)). Anyway, I hope you're okay health-wise.

As for making QExpo bigger and better, I'll think about some things and will post back soon on this thread. I'm really busy moving out from my apartment and "working" a little on Transloquake for the moment... ;)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
ajay

Post by ajay »

Nope nothing too serious; I've got some arthritis and a torn cartlidge in my hip - I've not done any training for 15 months. The op will involve dislocating my hip to reapir the cartlidge and smooth out the joint.

Anyway 3 months of work, a new laptop and lots of modding. Just got to decide what to work on....
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Ouch... it still sounds painful :( ... I hope it will go well!
As for modding, you can start by updating your site! (hehe) :wink:
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
ajay

Post by ajay »

CocoT wrote:Ouch... it still sounds painful :( ... I hope it will go well!
As for modding, you can start by updating your site! (hehe) :wink:
Indeed. I've a big change coming soon. Well by September anyway.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

A hidden page counter (option to make it public)

also, PLEASE the ability to comment booths.
Sounds reasonable, though I would say thats ultimately open to whoever codes the php for it... Speaking of PHP, I am still wondering how it is that PQ would get news of booth updates before the booth author would make them public... I would see things on PQ that I would see in the admin section of QExpo, that was not public, and that neither Sajt or I had done a post about yet...

Bank - Yes, the site should be up much earlier, with a teaser of sorts. Breeding anticipation outside of the typical participants is key.

Spirit - I will poke Romero about Petersen and if people want me to do so, contact him as well. Or someone else can do it (Jehar interviewed Petersen once before). And Storm the Castle is fun, I love climbing up the castle walls as a Thief and stealing all of the archers arrows, then cloaking in the shadows, only to later skirt away, opening up team only doors to raid their own supplies and give them to my teammates...

Urre - If the questioning of Newell involves rope and a gag, sure, otherwise... I'd rather leave the question of DMC unanswered, my rage is muted without a specific target.

neg!ke - Tournaments are always fun, especially if we get more people involved. Good notion, I wanted to do such last year but never got the connections together.

Elaborate on the interactive comic stories at explosm?

ajay - I love that GameSpy, an empire built upon Quake itself, is now a generic site (that broke leagues of Quake and Unreal sites...). Delegation would be nice... Last QExpo was basically "Sajt, code it! Randy, make it pretty! Echon, give us bandwidth! Lardarse, Asaki, than and others, give us feedback!" Followed by "Oh shit its coming up!"
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

/me DEMANDS DJQuake comics. Can someone contact Deej to ask a special short episodic story ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

We can try, but its a crap shoot, on par with getting Akuma to release another speedmod... ...we should try and get Coffee back while we're daydreaming...
Urre

Post by Urre »

Coffee!
I was once a Quake modder
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Moomin!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Lord Graga!
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

scar3crow: http://forum.explosm.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Basically, people have to give suggestions how the story should go on, then the artist draws the panels accordingly. Often with very weird results.
Applied to mapping it would work in a similar way: Starting from a screenshot of a room, people would give suggestions how the map was going to be continued, e.g. outdoor area with Shambler teleport -> strange beams rise toward the sky -> sudden change of texture theme, and so on.

Would definitely yield to crazy/funny results. However, this was just an experimental idea. Might be worth a try, might be not...
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Much like the fact that those stories almost never make any sense, the map created from this process wouldn't probably be that playable.

However, I'd love to see Deej do one of those. Artist/forum things, not map.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I've got time... who knows... maybe I'll... RELEASE something... :idea:
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'll believe that if your constant silence on irc means you're busy coding and mapping, not playing WoW ; )

neg!ke - ah, I lost a lot of time reading those... that could be fun, and contrary to FrikaC I think it could still be pretty sensible in its own way, as it is still up to the mapper's discretion with what people offer forth.... It doesn't have to be a logical design, just as long as interesting combat situations come up and it doesn't look hideous =)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Actually, it doesn't sound too far off from that old chainmapping idea, the principal difference being the mapper would get suggestions on how to continue said map.

Another idea might be to have a cut 'n paste mapping competition. i.e. whip up a whole bunch of prefab rooms and bits / pieces, make them availible, and see what people come up with ala lego art or some such.