Old lithtech games d3d to opengl wrapper

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Re: Old lithtech games d3d to opengl wrapper

Post by revelator »

and one tidbit that might help with switchable gfx the game engine is client.exe not blood2.exe :) blood2.exe is the old launcher. Yeah old lithtech engines are built rather strange.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Juwani93

Post by Juwani93 »

Oh I can try it on Blood 2 later when I'll have more time (I'm very busy at the moment) and see if it works, thanks. The thing with AVP2 is that when I run the game with intel cpu (which runs just fine), the game actually runs too fast, because I have 144hz monitor (and the game was made for 60 fps) - enemies in the game and also cutscenes and dialogues actually move and talk too fast. So if I would be able to run the game with Nvidia gpu, I could easily set the frame limit to 60 fps, as the game was supposed to be. Now the only other alternative remaining is to set the monitor to 60hz.
revelator

Post by revelator »

download the lithfix mod it has an option to lock the fps and can be used with the custom launchers.
the avp2 versions are at the bottom of the site here https://haekb.itch.io/lithfix
there are also versions for NOLF and shogo.

the option for locking the framerate is "lf_max_fps" by default it is set to 60 fps which should be fine.
the ddraw wrapper included in my version also locks it at 60 fps.
revelator

Post by revelator »

if you prefer to use the ddraw wrapper from my version you need these two files ddraw.dll and DDRAWCOMPAT.INI
if you look in ddrawcompat.ini notice this line FpsLimiter = flipstart(60) thats the fps limiter :)
the other parts are mostly for getting a better looking output on higher resolutions and some compatibility settings like WinVersionLie = xp which just tells the renderer that the machine is XP (well lying actually xD). this part you can actually just comment out -> FullscreenMode = borderless since the older lithtech engines cant do windowed mode at all anyway. Keep this on at all times -> AltTabFix = keepvidmem since otherwise the engine crashes when alt tabbing (quirk in some older engines).
Juwani93

Post by Juwani93 »

So I finally had the time to try out the solutions you provided, but sadly still no changes with Nvidia GPU. The zip files from Blood 2 don't work so I couldn't try it on Blood (the files are missing/archive is damaged, something like that) and the other dll files don't help either. After using the lithtech fix the game actually crashes to desktop just after the first intro. I guess until the game will be fully optimized for modern systems (like through GOG or Steam), there's no way you can play it with GPU, at least on my laptop. The only way to play AVP2 now is with intel cpu and with 60hz. Thanks for everything! :biggrin:
revelator

Post by revelator »

odd but not the first time i had that problem with sourceforge when uploading :S.
dunno why it wont work with your laptop i tried it with several laptops with switchable gfx and AVP2 runs without a hitch huh ?!?.
i dont use the lithfix myself though as the ddraw wrapper does mostly the same except fov enhancements and those can be changed in autoexec.cfg anyway.
btw is this on win11 or win10 ? i heard some games that run on 10 have trouble on 11 (various reasons).
well blood2 is on gog but it uses the same workarounds, the problem being that the engine source code was newer released and atari not giving a flying f... so i doubt that there will ever be a fixed build of neither lithtech talon -> AVP2 or lithtech 1.0 -> blood2 :/ the jupiter engine sources were released but uses a really old compiler -> msvc .NET 2003 which is not the easiest to setup on modern windows. there have been a few attempts at modernizing it
but the engine is so far removed from the older versions that i suspect it will be a huge job updating these games to it. it also had some changes that make it incompatible with the original NOLF2 (directx 9 shaders as opposed to directx 8 and some added materials) i actually got it to load the game but
the character is stuck xD and all controls are locked to unavaliable and cannot be changed.
Juwani93

Post by Juwani93 »

Yeah it's totally messed up with these old game engines. Some of them are really hard to run on modern systems nowadays. I have windows 10 btw