FTEQW default dir

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: FTEQW default dir

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I never had time to mess around with the CSQC skyroom stuffs due to lack of time.

Anyway I gave this a whirl with q2bsp, using some old test map I had, what I found:

1. _skyaxis / _skyrotate is still broken / not working.
2. _skyroom appears to work flawlessly. VERY COOL AND AWESOME! :biggrin: Just make sure to set _skyroom coords to the center of your skyroom as directed, and it should work for every sky surface you have.

EDIT: Note however, that entities / models don't appear to show up, at least thats what happened when I put a scrag in the skyroom.
EDIT2: Nevermind, I replaced the scrag with a walltorch (static entity), it appeared so as the commit note said, non-static entities without reliable pvs don't show up.

EDIT3: I seem to have found a maybe bug: if you have a skybox set for the map with _sky, it overrides the skyroom. I suspect this is intentional though as a skyroom should probably just use regular textures instead of sky surfaces, as you are basically building a sky out of map geometry. (and a skybox is just a regular box with different meshing textures for each side anyway...) Also, don't set any sky surfaceflags in the skyroom in q2bsp, as it will get confused and give you a black sky instead it would seem.

EDIT4: Just tried this in normal qbsp, seems to work fine there as well, though you do have to compile the map into a .bsp and not use fteqw's builtin .map loading.

EDIT5: Noticed I kept getting a shader compilation error, not sure if its my fault or not:

Code: Select all

Vertex shader (defaultskybox) compilation error:
0:162(2): error: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting $end
EDIT5b: seems to be a compilation error with skyboxes, when I set my _sky value to "" (blank), no problems.

Overall, this seems like a great addition, with lots of potential. With a bit of creative use of some alpha / transparency / rotate / transform / scroll shaders, one could come up with some really cool and funky looking skies and better looking, easier to build long distance terrains. (Waaaay better than a skybox) :biggrin:

(* cuts to the quakeguy exiting a slipgate, he takes one look at the sky, sees the unmentionables lazily floating in the sky and goes "OH HELL NO!" :twisted: )
Spike

Post by Spike »

if you want dynamic ents then set r_ignoreentpvs to 0. that tweak tells the client that it can actually trust the pvs of various entities and thereby draw only the ents inside the skyroom for the skyroom, without drawing ents that should not be visible.
note that the cvar tweak will show any glitches in csqc where addentity was called without setorigining properly, etc, hence why 1 is the default value.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spike wrote:if you want dynamic ents then set r_ignoreentpvs to 0. that tweak tells the client that it can actually trust the pvs of various entities and thereby draw only the ents inside the skyroom for the skyroom, without drawing ents that should not be visible.
note that the cvar tweak will show any glitches in csqc where addentity was called without setorigining properly, etc, hence why 1 is the default value.
Tried r_ignoreentpvs 0, but it doesn't seem to work. (Tried with q1bsp and q2bsp)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice to hear it worked, Doctor (even if partially). Are you using the latest build ? I got the last update from SVN but still figthing with Visual Studio Express 2017 to compile it. Care to share your binaries ? :razz:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

No, man, use cigwin64 to compile fte (Just shove in there all the dev libraries you can using the lib installer like gcc, maketools,g++,etc)then edit the makefile to comment the opus lib, the Speex lib and It *should * work
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote:Nice to hear it worked, Doctor (even if partially). Are you using the latest build ? I got the last update from SVN but still figthing with Visual Studio Express 2017 to compile it. Care to share your binaries ? :razz:
I just got 5493 (still reports as 5492 ingame), _skyaxis and _skyrotate (*drools*) are now working. _sky still overrides the first room's use of the skyroom though. (again, I'm not sure if this is the intended result...) Setting a sky surface flag (q2bsp) in the skyroom results in black sky in both skyroom's sky surfaces and the room the player is in using the skyroom. The skybox shader error has also been eliminated in 5493.

I'd throw my binaries up somewhere for you, but I'm on Linux Mint and guessing that you're on Windows they won't help much. Unfortunately, I dunno what the magic commands are for getting it to build a win32/64 binary and Spike never mentioned what they are in the readme... :sad:

EDIT: I tried make FTE_TARGET=win64 but it errors out, I think I'm missing some dx9sdk shite or something...

Spike: Whats the name of the cvar for spinning skyrooms?

EDIT2: r_ignoreentpvs 0 works, in q1bsp, but only in the actual skyroom's sky (yes I set sky surfaceflag to test) itself, with no skyboxes set...It works in q2bsp the same way. O_o (Note while testing this I fired some rockets across the sky, could be used with skyrooms for pretty shooting star / metorite effects! Or erupting volcanos / Mt. Doom / Sauron's Eyeball spotlight Tower! :biggrin:)
Spike

Post by Spike »

to (cross) compile fte for native windows from cygwin, msys, or from linux:

*change directory to the engine subdir*
make makelibs FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8 #this downloads+compiles third-party dependancies as static libraries
*msys workaround: hack the zlib makefile to remove its windows-specific error, then repeat the previous command so that zlib and thus libpng can build*
make m-rel plugins-rel FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8 #this builds fte and its default plugins.
swap the -rel parts to -dbg for debug builds.
swap m- for gl-/d3d-/vk- if you want single(ish)-renderer builds.
change the -j8 arg for the number of cpu vcores you have available.
add FTE_CONFIG=foo to get it to use engine/common/config_foo.h for rebranded/customised build configs.

if you want to use msvc2017+, you should try loading the cmake project directly - supposedly msvc2017+ should have integrated support for cmake's projects, but I've not tried it myself so it'll probably still break but let me know what needs to be fixed.
note that the cmake project file will simply disable any third-party dependancies that it can't find, which will likely leave you without pk3 support.

spinning skyrooms:
r_skyroom_orientation x y z speed
although its probably not that useful due to gravity, but oh well, have fun.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spike wrote:to (cross) compile fte for native windows from cygwin, msys, or from linux:

make makelibs FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8 #this downloads+compiles third-party dependancies as static libraries
*msys workaround: hack the zlib makefile to remove its windows-specific error, then repeat the previous command so that zlib and thus libpng can build*
make m-rel plugins-rel FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8 #this builds fte and its default plugins.
swap the -rel parts to -dbg for debug builds.
swap m- for gl-/d3d-/vk- if you want single(ish)-renderer builds.
change the -j8 arg for the number of cpu vcores you have available.
add FTE_CONFIG=foo to get it to use engine/common/config_foo.h for rebranded/customised build configs.
Tried that, still errors out, I think its still missing something dx9sdk related:

/games/quake/fteqw_src/fteqw-code/engine/libs/dxsdk9/include/d3d9.h:25:21: fatal error: objbase.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:1730: recipe for target '/home/minty-3558/games/quake/fteqw_src/fteqw-code/engine/release/m_mgw64/gl_shadow.o' failed
Spike wrote: spinning skyrooms:
r_skyroom_orientation x y z speed
although its probably not that useful due to gravity, but oh well, have fun.
Cool and mind-bendy! :biggrin:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Nice to hear it worked, Doctor (even if partially). Are you using the latest build ? I got the last update from SVN but still figthing with Visual Studio Express 2017 to compile it. Care to share your binaries ? :razz:
I just got 5493 (still reports as 5492 ingame), _skyaxis and _skyrotate (*drools*) are now working. _sky still overrides the first room's use of the skyroom though. (again, I'm not sure if this is the intended result...) Setting a sky surface flag (q2bsp) in the skyroom results in black sky in both skyroom's sky surfaces and the room the player is in using the skyroom. The skybox shader error has also been eliminated in 5493.
Awesome.
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:I'd throw my binaries up somewhere for you, but I'm on Linux Mint and guessing that you're on Windows they won't help much. Unfortunately, I dunno what the magic commands are for getting it to build a win32/64 binary and Spike never mentioned what they are in the readme... :sad:

EDIT: I tried make FTE_TARGET=win64 but it errors out, I think I'm missing some dx9sdk shite or something...
Don't worry, I am kinda buried in work ATM, I'll try again later using cmake or anything else.
Dr. Shadowborg wrote: Spike: Whats the name of the cvar for spinning skyrooms?

EDIT2: r_ignoreentpvs 0 works, in q1bsp, but only in the actual skyroom's sky (yes I set sky surfaceflag to test) itself, with no skyboxes set...It works in q2bsp the same way. O_o (Note while testing this I fired some rockets across the sky, could be used with skyrooms for pretty shooting star / metorite effects! Or erupting volcanos / Mt. Doom / Sauron's Eyeball spotlight Tower! :biggrin:)
Excellent news! I can't wait to put my hands on this version... :twisted:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Spike wrote:to (cross) compile fte for native windows from cygwin, msys, or from linux:

Okay, ditched Visual Studio and took the cygwin64 route.

make makelibs FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8
Apparently this worked as expected, at least there were no errors. But the next command complains in several points about "gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-cygwin’; did you mean ‘-mno-clwb’?". I suppose it's something missing in my cygwin install but I have no clue about what.

Here is the full console output:

$ make m-rel plugins-rel FTE_TARGET=win64 -j8
make[1]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[1]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/plugins'
gcc -mno-cygwin -O3  -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format-zero-length -Wno-strict-aliasing  -Dstrnicmp=strncasecmp -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/client -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/server -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/common -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/gl -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/d3d -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/qclib -I. -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs  -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk9/include -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk7/include  -I./libs/freetype2/include -I./libs/freetype2/include/freetype -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/botlib -DBOTLIB -DBOTLIB_STATIC -DSVNREVISION=-  -DFTEPLUGIN -o /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_mpq_x64.dll -shared -I../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin  -Impq mpq/fs_mpq.c mpq/blast.c plugin.c qvm_api.c plugin.def -L../engine/libs/mingw64-libs -lz -L../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin -Wl,--support-old-code -static-libgcc
gcc -mno-cygwin -O3  -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format-zero-length -Wno-strict-aliasing  -Dstrnicmp=strncasecmp -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/client -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/server -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/common -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/gl -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/d3d -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/qclib -I. -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs  -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk9/include -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk7/include  -I./libs/freetype2/include -I./libs/freetype2/include/freetype -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/botlib -DBOTLIB -DBOTLIB_STATIC -DSVNREVISION=-  -DFTEPLUGIN -o /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_xmpp_x64.dll -shared -I../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin  -Ijabber jabber/jabberclient.c jabber/jingle.c jabber/sift.c jabber/xml.c plugin.c qvm_api.c ../engine/common/sha1.c emailnot/md5.c plugin.def -L../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin -Wl,--support-old-code -static-libgcc
gcc -mno-cygwin -O3  -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format-zero-length -Wno-strict-aliasing  -Dstrnicmp=strncasecmp -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/client -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/server -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/common -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/gl -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/d3d -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/qclib -I. -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs  -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk9/include -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk7/include  -I./libs/freetype2/include -I./libs/freetype2/include/freetype -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/botlib -DBOTLIB -DBOTLIB_STATIC -DSVNREVISION=-  -DFTEPLUGIN -o /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_qi_x64.dll -shared -I../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin  -Ijabber qi/qi.c jabber/xml.c plugin.c qvm_api.c plugin.def -L../engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin -Wl,--support-old-code -static-libgcc
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-cygwin’; did you mean ‘-mno-clwb’?
make[1]: *** [Makefile:266: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_mpq_x64.dll] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-cygwin’; did you mean ‘-mno-clwb’?
make[1]: *** [Makefile:270: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_xmpp_x64.dll] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:274: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/fteplug_qi_x64.dll] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/plugins'
make: *** [Makefile:1984: plugins-rel] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[3]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[4]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
gcc -x c   -DCONFIG_FILE_NAME=config_fteqw.h -DLINK_FREETYPE  -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-format-zero-length -Wno-strict-aliasing  -Dstrnicmp=strncasecmp -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/client -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/server -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/common -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/gl -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/d3d -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/qclib -I. -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs  -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk9/include -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs/dxsdk7/include  -I./libs/freetype2/include -I./libs/freetype2/include/freetype -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/botlib -DBOTLIB -DBOTLIB_STATIC -DSVNREVISION=- -DGLQUAKE -mno-cygwin -DD3D9QUAKE -DD3D11QUAKE -I./libs/dxsdk7/include/ -DVKQUAKE -DMULTITHREAD  -DOPUS_STATIC -DSPEEX_STATIC -DLIBVORBISFILE_STATIC -DFREETYPE_STATIC -DAVAIL_PNG -O3    -ID:/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/libs-x86_64-pc-cygwin -I/usr/include/opus -I/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64 -o /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/quakedef.h.gch -c /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/client/quakedef.h
make[4]: *** [Makefile:1778: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/quakedef.h.gch] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: [Makefile:1730: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/gl_font.o] Error 1 (ignored)
make[4]: [Makefile:1731: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/gl_ngraph.o] Error 1 (ignored)
make[4]: *** [Makefile:1731: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/gl_font.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [Makefile:1731: /cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine/release/m_mgw64/gl_ngraph.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:1800: _out-rel] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1825: _clsv-rel] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1913: m-tmp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/projetos/games/quake-engines/fteqw/engine'
make: *** [Makefile:1922: m-rel] Error 2
Help me, Obi-wan, I am a complete GCC n00b. :P
Spike

Post by Spike »

at some point the cygwin and mingw codebases moved apart, such that a single gcc binary can no longer target either.
cygwin's gcc (which the makefile is falling back on) now supports ONLY cygwin as a target along with the dependencies etc that come with it.
mingw has its own separate gcc binary which targets only the win32 api and not cygwin's posix wrappers - one gcc binary for win32 and one gcc binary for win64. these mingw-only gcc builds are instead treated as cross compilers and thus have some big long prefix.

this means that in order to target native windows from cygwin, you need to install the 'mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core' or 'mingw64-i686-gcc-core' packages from cygwin's setup. hopefully this will include the appropriate binutils etc which is required for linking, while you already have bash/make/etc installed.

assuming I programmed it right, fte's makefiles will then notice the availability of the appropriate mingw-specific gcc build and use that (instead of trying to fall back on the default now-cygwin-only 'gcc' in the hopes that its an older version of cygwin which still supports targetting mingw directly).
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Welp, looks like installing mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core did the trick. Now I am getting the opus error toneddu2000 mentioned. I'll comment the makefile and try again tomorrow... it's REALLY late to me here. Thanks for the support Spike!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote:Welp, looks like installing mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core did the trick. Now I am getting the opus error toneddu2000 mentioned. I'll comment the makefile and try again tomorrow... it's REALLY late to me here. Thanks for the support Spike!
Great to hear you got it to compile! :smile:

In other news, in the latest 5498 I can confirm that everything works properly now in q2bsp with combined skybox, skyroom and entities in skyroom. :biggrin:

Also I note that r_ignoreentpvs now defaults to 1.

Methinks its time I revisited my q2bsp retake on dm3...(and maybe even episode 1 of quake...) :wink:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yup, I mostly got it working, I still need to apply the makefile changes and try again, but got distracted with this... bug ? Feature ? I don't know...

https://imgur.com/FJRHRmg (I know, the image won't show inside this comment, just click the link to see)

As you can notice, this pic shows the same .mdl being rendered WITH and WITHOUT external textures (the red/blue is the embedded skin, the greenish one is formed external .pngs for luma norm gloss and diffuse). The non-textured one is the player model when I use chase_active 1. It's exactly the same model using the same skin.

EDIT: Regarding skyrooms: got the last build and finally tested it. Trippy! I can already see a space base map floating with low gravity and lots of scrags... :twisted:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Regarding FTEQW compiling, I built a cygwin64 setup ready for compiling FTE out of the box on Windows. Anyone willing to compile FTE on windows just grab it, unzip it with 7zip and go to the cygwin64 main folder and double click on Cygwin.bat. It will create the home folder with OS user name. That's it. Double click Cygwin.bat again to access to console. Type

svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/fteqw/code/trunk fteqw-WHATEVERNAME
to download FTE SVN trunk, then go to the fteqw-WHATEVERNAME/engine and edit Makefile

USE_SPEEX?=0
USE_OPUS=0
USE_BOTLIB=0
Then, for compile client

make gl-rel -j NUMBEROFPROCESSORSYOUEANTTOUSE FTE_TARGET=win32
conpiling server is quite similar(probably you need USE_BOTLIB set to 1, I don't know)

make sv-rel -j NUMBEROFPROCESSORSYOUEANTTOUSE FTE_TARGET=win32
after some years of compiling cygwin64 should create release folder, grab your exe from there.
Cheers
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine