[Darkplaces][released] The Mansion 182

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
Nahuel

[Darkplaces][released] The Mansion 182

Post by Nahuel »

Little game done in two days for a linux jam!! I added some features and windows exes a week later.

You must to kill the ghost of the haunted mansion to get ammo, weapons and health. To break crates are very useful to get stuff.

Enjoy :)

link for the game and patch
http://www.moddb.com/games/the-mansion-182
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
toneddu2000

Re: [Darkplaces][released] The Mansion 182

Post by toneddu2000 »

Soooo fun! I played for half an hour and I really enjoyed! Great work Nahuel, as always! Thinking you did in 2 days, it's even more incredible! I like the idea that ghosts are physical entities you can shoot, it's very creative imo! You even added more classes of ghost! I'd just fix firing animation (for pistol, shotgun and machine gun I don't understand if I'm firing or not) and just minor fixes with hud at fullHD resolution but, except for that, it's a real fun!

I noticed you're making another game called Dark Place, could you talk a little more about it?

Congrats!!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Max_Salivan

Post by Max_Salivan »

You can download Beta Build from moddb
http://www.moddb.com/games/a-dark-place/downloads
Sorry for my english :)
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

toneddu2000 wrote:Soooo fun! I played for half an hour and I really enjoyed! Great work Nahuel, as always! Thinking you did in 2 days, it's even more incredible! I like the idea that ghosts are physical entities you can shoot, it's very creative imo! You even added more classes of ghost! I'd just fix firing animation (for pistol, shotgun and machine gun I don't understand if I'm firing or not) and just minor fixes with hud at fullHD resolution but, except for that, it's a real fun!
thank you!! hud glitch is already a menu.dat code error i did, i need to fix it!!
I think to add some features, maybe weapons animations bullet casings, etc... the game was done in two days, so important stuff was left aside

toneddu2000 wrote: I noticed you're making another game called Dark Place, could you talk a little more about it?

Congrats!!
the project was canceled.. The lack of proper documentation was fatal. So we left it all as a tech demo, if anyone found it useful. :biggrin:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Nahuel wrote:hud glitch is already a menu.dat code error i did, i need to fix it!!
Have you considered to create hud and menu sdirectly in CSQC?
Nahuel wrote:I think to add some features, maybe weapons animations bullet casings, etc... the game was done in two days, so important stuff was left aside
Probably just shot recoil effect and more impact effect on ghosts and it's perfect. Oh my, 2 days..incredible! :biggrin:

What did you use for map creation? Quark? Textures and sprites made by yourself? Mansion level is really great, I had fun exploring it!:)
Does it exist a global score? I mean, there's the possibility to access to a global ranking on a server? That was an idea I had a lot of time ago and I wonder if it would have been cool. Well, playing your game I've no doubt: it's definately cool! :biggrin:
Nahuel wrote:the project was canceled.. The lack of proper documentation was fatal. So we left it all as a tech demo, if anyone found it useful. :biggrin:
Whoa, too bad.. What was the argument that lacks documentation about?
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Have you considered to create hud and menu sdirectly in CSQC?
i didnt consider it , i think menu.dat is really easy to use, I use csqc for HUD stuff right now.

Probably just shot recoil effect and more impact effect on ghosts and it's perfect. Oh my, 2 days..incredible! :biggrin:
hahhaa thanks!! yeah the game need more feedback to the player!!
What did you use for map creation? Quark? Textures and sprites made by yourself? Mansion level is really great, I had fun exploring it!:)
Mansion is fairly inspired by resident evil1 mansion :P i did the textures using gimp and krita, buy I did draw the textures by hand in gimp, after this i did discover the power of krita to pixel art :( lame desicion, krita is great!! even for not artist people !!!
Does it exist a global score? I mean, there's the possibility to access to a global ranking on a server? That was an idea I had a lot of time ago and I wonder if it would have been cool. Well, playing your game I've no doubt: it's definately cool! :biggrin:
I think that is possible, but i do not have idea about :(
Whoa, too bad.. What was the argument that lacks documentation about?
lack of design, the goal of the game is just a little slenderman clone, but the project was very little documented, the development was chaotic and there was very little feedback in the group so the project was cancelled :) adp is actually a tech demo IMO
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

i did the textures using gimp and krita, buy I did draw the textures by hand in gimp, after this i did discover the power of krita to pixel art :( lame desicion, krita is great!! even for not artist people !!!
Great! even texture creation in so few days! Real great work! Could you make a little tutorial about using Krita? Because I'm very curious about it! :)
I think that is possible, but i do not have idea about :(
FTE has sql (but only server-side, unfortunately) builtins functions: probably dp included them too
lack of design, the goal of the game is just a little slenderman clone, but the project was very little documented, the development was chaotic and there was very little feedback in the group so the project was cancelled :) adp is actually a tech demo IMO
ah, ok
Spike

Post by Spike »

Does it exist a global score? I mean, there's the possibility to access to a global ranking on a server?
you're better off using uri_get which does exist in both fte+dp, with any sql access happening inside your webserver instead of gameserver. the extra abstraction means you have more control over the actual requests that can be made, instead of someone connecting to your database and just deleting everything. Of course, if someone is willing to spend the time generating http posts then they can spoof any scores they want, so you'll probably still want some private keys of some kind so that you can more easily provide trust in the results at some point. Then again it probably doesn't matter that much anyway, so long as noone destroys your entire sql database. yay http-based gateways.

(using mysql (required for non-local databases) inside fte requires dedicated servers and a special commandline arg to actually enable it, but sqlite is fine if you just want local-only data, better in fact as it takes muuuuch less configuration thanks to it just being a file)
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Real great work! Could you make a little tutorial about using Krita? Because I'm very curious about it! :)
this is nice to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnpKQITm3I

this is the filter techinique i did learn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7_FVQpTSE

this is the AWESOME channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxboW7 ... vMdCFKTMsQ

:)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Awesome channel indeed! Thanks a lot Nahuel! Krita seems really a good alternative to Photoshop for pixel art creation
Did you use a graphic pen tablet to draw The Mansion textures?