New FPS project, need help

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Vic

New FPS project, need help

Post by Vic »

Hi everyone,

some of you might remember me from the good old days of quakesrc.org, tochris, qfusion and formerly, Warsow.

I have recently stepped down from my role as Warsow developer/maintainer and been thinking of forking the project. Not necessarily having to follow the old formula would then provide the freedom to modernize and brush up the core gameplay and visuals with the possibility of later going commercial. All produced materials will remain licensed under Creative Commons and GPL (for code).

However, such an undertaking isn't something a couple of guys can really do on their own in their little spare time so we're looking for some help from talented and motivated people, including mappers, artists, coders and sound designers. We already have a few members on board but we definitely need more! If things don't progress far enough, I'm afraid I'll have to fold the project as there's no way I can realistically handle such amounts of work on my own.

I can post more details on the project if there's enough interest. You can also watch the code progress on github: https://github.com/Picmip

Cheers!
qbism

Re: New FPS project, need help

Post by qbism »

Warsow is one of the few open-source FPS projects with a cohesive visual theme for modeling, maps, and graphics. Is there an art direction in mind for the new project? The Quake scene is typically into low-poly stuff. A very few active and talented modelers and artists exist, mostly on quakeone and popping up on twitter and func_msg.

And... I'm required to say this... the project might benefit from exposure at the Quake Expo.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

qbism wrote:And... I'm required to say this... the project might benefit from exposure at the Quake Expo.
But, QExpo projects, don't have to be Quake related to be exposed? I ask this because I created a game from scratch with FTEQW but I didn't dare to create a booth fot that! :biggrin:

PS: @Vic: as I said to you on Slack, I'm quite busy right now but if you send me a mail(I'm not a social guy, I prefer mails) with all the models you need, I can schedule to make them any time I've some spare time
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
qbism

Post by qbism »

toneddu2000 wrote:
qbism wrote:And... I'm required to say this... the project might benefit from exposure at the Quake Expo.
But, QExpo projects, don't have to be Quake related to be exposed? I ask this because I created a game from scratch with FTEQW but I didn't dare to create a booth fot that! :biggrin:
No, it may be any Quake series including Hexen2! Although it has advanced far beyond, Vic's project is based on Q2 source.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

No, it may be any Quake series including Hexen2!
yeah, ok, but if for example I created a game with any of Quake engines, but the gameplay itself is for example, catching butterflies or play soccer, can it find a collocation on QEXPO? Or the gameplay must be oriented to the Quake universe?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

As long you make clear your project is based on Quake technology, I see no problem. Now hurry up! I want to see this catching butterflies while playing soccer game in action :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

frag.machine wrote:As long you make clear your project is based on Quake technology, I see no problem
K, thanks frag.machine, now it's more clear.
frag.machine wrote:Now hurry up! I want to see this catching butterflies while playing soccer game in action
LOL! :biggrin:
Vic

Post by Vic »

Unfortunately, there isn't much new to showcase at the moment, otherwise we'd have had a Qexpo booth for sure.

On a side note, I have put up on github stuff which has been written by me and others over the years of work on Warsow. You can find it here -> https://github.com/Picmip
Julius

Post by Julius »

Post some more details or there will not be more interest...

You definitely have the track-record to be taken seriously, but right now all I see is a seemingly unfriendly fork of Warsow's qfusion (still a fork even if you are the main developer :p) and nothing else.

Thus I am looking forward to hear more about your plans. Let's just hope it isn't another arena FPS :p

P.S.: When you say assets licensed under a creative commons license, which one do you mean? AFAIK only CC-by and CC-by-SA 4.0 are fully one way compatible with the GPL.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Julius wrote:unfriendly fork of Warsow's qfusion
Warsow's qfusion? I am qfusion :) I've been working on it since 2002 or so, long before Warsow's inception.
Julius wrote:P.S.: When you say assets licensed under a creative commons license, which one do you mean? AFAIK only CC-by and CC-by-SA 4.0 are fully one way compatible with the GPL.
I'm not sure why you're even bringing up the subject of GPL compatibility here. To answer your original question, Warsow assets are licensed under CC A-SA and CC A-ND.

Anyway, I've now exited the project so there's nothing to really to discuss anymore.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Anyway, I've now exited the project so there's nothing to really to discuss anymore.
So sad. Why?
Vic

Post by Vic »

Too much slacking was going on, too many empty promises given. I couldn't stand that kind of environment anymore.