Quake reboot ?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Quake reboot ?

Post by frag.machine »

TECHSPOT: Following the success of Doom, it looks as if id Software's next project will be a Quake reboot
http://www.techspot.com/news/64877-soft ... eboot.html
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Re: Quake reboot ?

Post by Error »

I swear to god... there better not be a single mention of Strogg. :evil:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Error wrote:I swear to god... there better not be a single mention of Strogg. :evil:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Error wrote:I swear to god... there better not be a single mention of Strogg. :evil:
:biggrin: Eh.. I think that, if really they're going to remake Quake, 90% of chances it's going to be Quake II and not Quake :confused:

Quake was imo unique Id masterpiece because of its atmosphere, of its different architecture (medieval, gothic, horror but not a "passive" horror game like nowadays games, outlast one of many). I read somewhere that so few people liked Quake atmosphere that Id took immediately a detour to a robotic / tech environment.. which it's a little boring to my personal taste, but, whatever :confused:

I mean, even first Doom was a completely different "tech" atmosphere (it was more "demoniac" and "esotheric") than Doom3 one (cannot say about new DOOM, we'll see), but, after-Quake1 games preserved that modern tech mood
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Quake has this unique look and feel thanks to a convoluted development. The original game idea wasn't a FPS, but instead some sort of medieval/fantasy background with more paced combat (probably involving a lot of melee fights). Problem is, Romero tossed some ideas around, the artists started to work and... he totally lost the focus, distracted while playing rockstar and pushing several other side projects (Doom expansions, Heretic, tournaments, etc). Meanwhile the engine took much more time to develop than anticipated, the fans started to complain, nobody at id had a clear idea about what was the game about, and at some point someone suggested "let's just make Doom again". The existent lovecraftian artwork was mangled together with military/futuristic themes and bang, you get Quake.

With Quake II, without Romero to take the reins in the game design, Carmack just followed the obvious, bland and easy theme of "mariners versus alien cyborgs" because he was more interested in the engine development than in the gameplay itself. It's no wonder many people say id games used to look just tech demos.

That said, I'd love to see more Cthulu than Stroggs in a Quake remake.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks frag.machine, didn't know thw whole story. It's always nice to learn more about Id Software! :)
frag.machine wrote:That said, I'd love to see more Cthulu than Stroggs in a Quake remake.
Yep, probably we all here want that too. Let's hope that Bethesda will listen to Quake fans instead of marketing... meh..
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Yeah, I don't think rebooting Quake 1 will be very easily done, as pointed out, it really was a poorly thrown together mishmash of medieval themes and Doom style tech. It really was as much a showcase for Carmack's new true 3D engine as much as anything else, that was the main fascination of it for many. That it turned out to actually be a fun, enjoyable game experience was truly remarkable given how it came about. Quake 2 certainly was an admission that Q1 was a hodgepodge mess of a game, but it was definitely the "easy" way out, lacking much in the way of any real imagination. However, even as yet another showcase of idTech 2, it delivered a truly fun experience(at least for me). I do recall being disappointed that it didn't stick with a Lovecraftian theme, and being puzzled at the change, but looking back, and learning what truly happened, it makes sense to me now. Quake 3 was again a departure, going to a fully multiplayer only game, maybe again taking the easy way out.

Now, that said, because the original was so mishmash, with no real direction, it does present a unique opportunity for id to really, truly make something special using the Lovecraftian theme, and some pretty awesome monsters and effects. It's a rather peculiar dilemma for them, which direction to go here...Strogg...or Cthulu? Maybe even find a way to marry the entire thing, now that could be interesting...
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Spike

Post by Spike »

it really wouldn't surprise me if they made it as a sequel to doom rather than as part of quake - now that you've killed all the denizens of hell, you have various other gods invading too. throw in knights, ogres, castles, job done. if it really is a quake reboot then it doesn't need a real story anyway... :P
Baker

Post by Baker »

Quake doesn't lend itself to a story.

It's more like a lonely trip to place of nightmares.

Since game makers can't shut up ... (they love having dialog in a game)
Since average gaymer needs a story ...
Since games today are about a big choice of weapons ...
Since games today need effects (a nail gun does not lend itself to such) ...

I suspect a remake of Quake would not really remind one of Quake.

I also suspect if Quake were made 2 years later, it would have been more like Half-Life ---- or if it went in the RPG direction --- possibly more like Diablo or something.

So many of the nice things about Quake were just plain luck about media limitations at the time and the frantic development, never to be repeated and not by intent.

The rare game without a story or any answers, let your imagination fill in the blanks -- like a book.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

If they remake Quake like the original, it should include that dragon...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

jitspoe wrote:If they remake Quake like the original, it should include that dragon...
And the vomitus! Poor guy got no love.