Doom 4 trailer?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

What's the most annoying thing you've seen in Doom E3 video?

Monsters are not so scary
No votes
Monsters sounds are too subtle and not very incisive
14%
Gameplay looks too different from original
14%
Console influence is too much present
29%
Graphics isn't so fantastic as they promised - OR - it differs too much from original
14%
Weapons don't seem to be so powerful as originals
No votes
Bethesda acquisition ruined everything
29%

Total votes: 7

toneddu2000

Re: Doom 4 trailer?

Post by toneddu2000 »

New campaign trailer, featuring a lot of badasses, tell me how many! :)
I must say, it seems a lot like original Doom on steroids, which it's a compliment!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
r00k

Post by r00k »

ya i caN'T vote as the options dont reflect my opinion... :|
that trailer looks badass! my only complaint watching that video is maybe its too bright, and the majority of colors my brain can remember are black, grey, white, green and RED. :D
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

So, if I understood correctly, the fact is too much bright is your only complaint, right? If so, and if other should have your same idea, I'll add a new option. I'd add now, but it'd reset all the votes (yeah I know, they're only 3 but, there still votes! :))
revelator

Post by revelator »

Nothing to add as far as graphics concern, it looks great.
The deathmatch video reminded me a bit of quake3 with better looks.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

New Multiplayer trailer.
It seems that demons have now a great part even in multiplayer game.
It seems pretty fun though, maybe too 'consoley' for me, but fun
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

New "Fight like Hell" cinematic trailer.

Dunno if it's 100% realtime or mixed with cg but it's ... magnificient.
Only thing I don't like it's that original Doom has a "mystic / spiritual" verve that this sequel seems to have replaced with a "violent / hardcore" one. But probably it's just my impression..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:New "Fight like Hell" cinematic trailer.

Dunno if it's 100% realtime or mixed with cg but it's ... magnificient.
Only thing I don't like it's that original Doom has a "mystic / spiritual" verve that this sequel seems to have replaced with a "violent / hardcore" one. But probably it's just my impression..

It's a 100% cinematics only trailer, no actual gameplay footage.
Satanism based theme was always a problem to id, even in the nineties. I reckon Bethesda is just trying to avoid a clash with religious groups.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Yes, yes sure. But my question was, the cinematic is created with IdTech 6 engine's movie tools (like unreal engine or unity have their own tools to create "movies" with game engine) or is created with a 3rd party tool like Maya or 3dsmax? Because, in first case, that would reflect the actual graphics possibilities that engine can unleash!
Satanism based theme was always a problem to id, even in the nineties. I reckon Bethesda is just trying to avoid a clash with religious groups.
wo, I didn't know that. Infact, iirc Quake was less satanic than doom and on my original istructions manual (oh my god what beautiful memories!) , in the FAQ section, there was the question something like "Are you satanist? No." :)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:
Yes, yes sure. But my question was, the cinematic is created with IdTech 6 engine's movie tools (like unreal engine or unity have their own tools to create "movies" with game engine) or is created with a 3rd party tool like Maya or 3dsmax? Because, in first case, that would reflect the actual graphics possibilities that engine can unleash!
Unlikely. And even if they are rendered in the game engine at very least the artwork assets are usually of far higher polycount and/or texture resolution than the ones used in gameplay (since they don't need to be rendered in realtime). Guarded the proportions, it's the same that occurs with Valve promo videos (for example, the "Meet the..." classes videos from TF2). And that's why this kind of CG trailer takes a lot of flak BTW: they "sell" something unreal (no pun intended).
toneddu2000 wrote:
wo, I didn't know that. Infact, iirc Quake was less satanic than doom and on my original istructions manual (oh my god what beautiful memories!) , in the FAQ section, there was the question something like "Are you satanist? No." :)
I remember reading a chapter in "Masters of Doom" (I strongly recommend picking this book on Amazon, it's like US$5 used and a great read for Quake and Doom fans) where is mentioned that id offices were guarded by police for a while due threats from religious groups. Also, Quake has more a lovecraftian/horror than hellish/satanism inspiration (there are differences, mind you).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

meh..not 100% sure next gen engines suffer too much of "high poly models" sickness. Once I saw that Unreal Engine 3 could rendered 1.500.000 triangles per frame with no problems and probably Unreal Engine 4 (and IdTech 6 maybe as well) could crunch 3/4.000.000 per frame (texture size, of course, is another pair of shoes) on high end computers. But, anyway, I'm always fascinated by power that modern engines can unleash. Being a great fan of Rage engine and being so astonished about how bad Id used engine for mod developers (35 GB of a simil-quake editor to do...practically nothing?! Really?!), I hope SnapMap will create literally tons of mods and total conversions like original Doom did(I still remember in '95 drawing armors on imps on my Pentium 120, sigh.. :))
And that's why this kind of CG trailer takes a lot of flak BTW: they "sell" something unreal (no pun intended).
LOL
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

revelator

Post by revelator »

quake was more cthulhu mythos based than satanic :), shubby is actually an old god from the lovecraft universe.
a fun game to try if you love lovecraft, "dark corners of the earth" it has a rather annoying list of bugs but whoooa man this is some scary shit.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@frag.machine: well, only because multiplayer mode has not gained too much success (and this is questionable, of course) , it's not said that single player mode will be a mess! :) I'm quite sure that impact in weapons will be great! Rage had a impact / damage system that worthed the game for itself! For gameplay, instead, I cannot say anything before I saw first video but, hey, it's Id Software, that would be a shame if they missed the goal! :)

@revelator: yeah, indeed, you're right! I never read lovercarft's masterpieces but, I definately should do it! Thanks for the "dark corners of the earth" game hint!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:@frag.machine: well, only because multiplayer mode has not gained too much success (and this is questionable, of course) , it's not said that single player mode will be a mess! :) I'm quite sure that impact in weapons will be great! Rage had a impact / damage system that worthed the game for itself! For gameplay, instead, I cannot say anything before I saw first video but, hey, it's Id Software, that would be a shame if they missed the goal! :)
Yeah, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And besides you liked Rage so is very likely that you'll like this one anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it may eventually end up being a fun game, and this is what really matters.
But it clearly won't be the DOOM I expected; it won't be a game that deserves to be called DOOM.
EDIT
Oh boy, looks like I am not the only one thinking this way...
Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote:It doesn’t feel like Doom. It’s a little like Quake 3 and a little like Unreal Tournament and maybe even a little like Call of Duty, though that’s more a structural comparison than a game-feel comparison. But whatever else it does feel like, it doesn’t feel like Doom.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Well given that most of what Doom is associated with is single player, And we haven't gotten to play that yet I would say comparison at this point is silly. Multiplayer has come a long way since Doom I, so yeah of course it feels more like Q3 or UT.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine