What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
mankrip

Re: What are you working on?

Post by mankrip »

The core of the problem is that blending can be done using just indexes, while (dynamic) colored lighting needs raw color values in order to mix dynamic lights of different colors at multiple shading levels at once (with a smooth quality).
And then we can have multiple overlays of different translucent surfaces with multiple different colors of lights on each one. And there will probably be fog too…

As I'm aiming for feature consistency, the "r_coloredlighting > 1" approach you mentioned won't cut it. I'm making sure to optimize the engine in a fully-featured mode first.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Hmm, lots of stuff going on in my life, so I haven't had time to post much, but now I have a bunch of things to post!

I put the source for that star viewer program I made in the Q2 engine up on GitHub, if anybody wants to play with it. I also added a (quick and dirty) command to generate skyboxes, though you'll have to tweak the code to adjust rotation and stuff if you want different angles.

https://github.com/jitspoe/starviewer

New version of Paintball2 is out:

http://www.digitalpaint.org/

And, something I'm actually getting paid to do (not exactly Quake related, but in a similar spirit): We just got back from PAX announcing our new title Law Breakers: http://www.lawbreakers.com/ -- be sure to check out the gameplay trailer! I worked on improving the grapple swing, ragdolls, some shooting behavior, gravity, and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

While people were fragging at the event, we took videos of their kills and posted them on twitter:
https://twitter.com/lawbreakers You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the videos, or you can look at this compilation somebody put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tgNT-57EU

The quality is kind of poor due to the level of compression we had to use, but it should give you an idea of what the gameplay is like.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Lawbreakers looks incredibly beautiful.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks jitspoe for sharing the star viewer!
Lawbreakers seems soooo cool...
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I just downloaded and player starviewer and it's a really cool experience to be surrounded by starts in a Quake engine(!), but that's something I don't understand. It seems like the entire universe is limited to a very small (invisible) cube. When I touch the borders of this cube, screen becomes orange and if I continue to go in that direction, it seems that camera goes back to origin (it's difficult to understand it because in universe you don't have reference points).
There's some sort of teleports mechanism, am I right? Is impossible to create a endless universe in Quake engine, right? I mean, creating a "map" only by code and not with a tool and populate it with code.
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Starviewer is limited to the Quake2 bounds, and it's in a really large room because I was in a rush to get it done. :)

If you want more freedom / a larger universe, you should check out Space Engine.

Another not-quake-related thing, but I tried making a quick 2D pixel art animation. Might try my hand at a small scale game that I can actually complete...

toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

thanks for the Space Engine hint, jitspoe!
PS: your character it's cute! :biggrin:
qbism

Post by qbism »

Lawbreakers: I like the grapple line effect, and the swing physics look good in the video (a little elastic but not too bouncy). Also pop-up backpack RL is great.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I've been doing some more mapping to figure out ways to do some kinds of stuff with the current tech, and to realize which of those needs a different map format/tools to be done in an easier & more intuitive way, as well as finding out things that are currently impossible and really needs to be implemented.

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

that looks really cool . I really really like the skyboxes.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

A taste of how simplified the protocol specifics are becoming.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Working heavily towards getting an Alien Arena Gen 3 demo version. 4 of the planned 7 DM maps are completed now. 3 CTF and 2 Tactical maps will be included as well. Once that is done, work on the new HUD system and netcode will commence. Couple of the weapon models are not yet updated, but they are coming too.

http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow Irritant, just... wow! I love those mech-a-like entities and 4th map image from top. Keep it up the awesome work! Also rocket launcher it's cool!
qbism

Post by qbism »

Nice AA shots. Looks like a higher realism of level and model detail without losing the retro sci-fi vibe.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==