Uquake1 anyone see this (quake in unity?)

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Uquake1 anyone see this (quake in unity?)

Post by ceriux »

toneddu2000

Re: Uquake1 anyone see this (quake in unity?)

Post by toneddu2000 »

Yeah, I saw it and use it. Kinda cool, kinda useless,too. I mean bsp format it's antique now, but it's always nice to see people working hard to put some Quake in every aspect of life! :)
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

id think if refined it'd be possible to port quake to unity.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Keep in mind that "port Quake to Unity" doesn't make much sense as phrase. Quake it's a game and Unity it's a game engine. You instead could do:
  1. Open every asset with a modern software (models with Maya/Max/blah, textures with photoshop, gimp, blah) and recreate every aspect to look modern (characters with skeletal animations, ragdoll, etc, textures at hires with normal,spec,etc, but for this I guess there are lots of reboot attempts)
  2. Recreate every map with modular pieces in Unity 5 / Unreal 4 editor, adding, where possible, dynamic lights, view filters (Unity has lots of filters and they're very good) to increase realism
  3. Use C# to recreate game code in a more object oriented / polished way (id game code sucks for various aspects)
  4. **Probably**, only thing that could be used untouched are sounds, but, really I'm not so sure they could be used today like modern sounds!
After all this cyclopic, enourmous and tedious work you could say to have port Quake to Unity! :biggrin: But, really, I couldn't see a single reason to explain why doing such a huge work like this! :biggrin:
r00k

Post by r00k »

you can port quake to anything IF you can code the engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

What tonnedu2000 described is not porting but recreating Quake with new assets. Porting usually requires reusing (mostly) unmodified assets from the original game and also recreating all or most of its behaviours in the target engine (bunnyhopping, collision boxes, etc) to ensure the same gameplay.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Keep in mind that "port Quake to Unity" doesn't make much sense as phrase. Quake it's a game and Unity it's a game engine. You instead could do:
Ah...if people read carefully...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

tonnedu2000 wrote:Ah...if people read carefully...
Yup, I totally agree.
tonnedu2000 wrote:After all this cyclopic, enourmous and tedious work you could say to have port Quake to Unity!
But let's not derail the thread debacling about semantics... ;)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

yeah, that was just irony but, my bad not to make it clear! :lol:
Anyway, now I'm curious: there's a true port of the Whole Quake game to another engine? Or to strange architecture? I heard of a DP port in progress on Raspberry PI but it's long time since I've seen update videos about it.
At least, something like Shambler's castle (not a port,ok, but you know what I mean) on Unreal Engine 4 I think that should be coooool!:)