Making DarkPlaces look like software quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
JasonX

Making DarkPlaces look like software quake

Post by JasonX »

I'm trying to make DP look a little more like software quake... Do you guys know any configurations that can help me use square particles, disable model interpolation, disable texture filtering, etc?
r00k

Re: Making DarkPlaces look like software quake

Post by r00k »

FTE has a preset in the cfg for that exact feature, though beyond gl_texturemode gl_nearest, I'm not 100% of the actual settings Darkplaces has.Yet using a custom particle font you can get square particles.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Code: Select all

gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST
r_particles_quake 1
r_lerpmodels 0
Try this with a low resolution (like 800x600 or even 320x200) and you're back to 1997. :)

Particles will look like stock GLQuake, for square particles I suppose you'll need a new particle font.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

The differences between the software and hardware renderers are much deeper than those.

For example, gl_texturemode can disable the texture filtering, but it doesn't disable the light filtering, and that alone makes a whole world of difference. Darkplaces will still look much more smoother than WinQuake.

I'd recommend using the software-rendered versions of FitzQuake, Mark V or Quakespasm instead.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

QuakeSpasm doesn't have a software renderer. I wanted to use my version of WinQuake, but i can't make it work in 64-bit systems: http://forums.insideqc.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5414

So i gave up and decided to fake the style using a modern engine. :(
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Oh, Linux.

Too bad. 64 bit Windows can run them fine.

And I remember reading about a software version of QS, but it was probably something else then.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

Latest quakeforge has a software appearance mode. The lighting is still a bit smooth, but it gives some of the artifacting that we like. The artifacts are noticable in darker areas if you zoom into a screenshot Image

Way back there was a thread called "make darkplaces look like crap" or something like that. But the word 'darkplaces' is ignored in insideqc forum search, even 'find all words'. Anyway, DP has additional forgotten settings that give the appearance of reduced colors at the expense of high contrast. Image
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Using a shader I can get affine texture mapping and other nice effects. Unfortunately, I discovered that DP is a pain to customize shaders and the overall pipeline. I'm sticking with QuakeSpasm because it's much easier to hook my own stuff.

At the cost of not having DP extensions, though. But, so far, it's working fine!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

why not use engoo or super8 then?
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

No Linux support out of the box, too much DOS stuff.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

https://github.com/eukos16/NGUNIX is an Engoo port for Linux
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews