Update older Java code?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
Cobalt

Update older Java code?

Post by Cobalt »

Anyone here good with Java?

I made some hover over buttons using MS front page years ago, back when MS still had their own Virtual Machine for Java. But shortly after, Sun won the rights in a court battle, and since then these buttons I made always prompt a warning, saying they are 3rd party untested scripts. More than a few people have been scared away from the page based on this warning. Am I using
depreciated code or something? Any ideas how to make it so the warning dont appear?

Code: Select all

<applet code="fphover.class" codebase="./" width="325" height="30">
  <param name="effect" value="glow">
  <param name="color" value="#003300">
  <param name="hovercolor" value="#008000">
  <param name="fontsize" value="15">
  <param name="url" valuetype="ref" value="homepage.html">
  <param name="fontstyle" value="bold">
  <param name="font" value="Helvetica">
  <param name="textcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
  <param name="hoversound" valuetype="ref" value="blip1.au">
  <param name="sound" valuetype="ref" value="blip3.au">
  <param name="text" value="Profile, Services, Policies, FAQ, Contact Us">
</applet>
frag.machine

Re: Update older Java code?

Post by frag.machine »

As someone who write Java code for a living, my advice is: forget applets.
They are evil, specially the non-standard, full of unpatched bugs and security holes type generated with Visual J or Visual Studio for their unholy ActiveX-based virtual machine.
Nowadays this kind of effect is quite trivial in pure HTML5 (and if I can give my personnal opinion, of questionable taste :) ), absolutely no need of Java applets.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks FM. Someone else had mentioned CSS as the alternative. I just dont see how these are so dangerous because of their size and all they do is add an effect to the image the mouse hovers over and plays an audio file. But I made these back when fewer exploits came the way via Java, at least that was my experience back then when MS used its own Virtual Machine to run stuff like this. But sounds like you know more about it than me.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yup, HTML5 (which includes CSS, of course) is the way to go. Just Google for "html css neon effect" and you will find a bunch of examples.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)