What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Barnes

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Barnes »

moved to vs 2015
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

SLI support - yes, +25% speedup!
Hazematman

Post by Hazematman »

Decided to write a quake BSP renderer from scratch working off the unofficial quake spec.

Currently only supports loading in the bsp data from the pak file and then doing a basic render of it. Working on loading in the lighting information and other stuff. It uses SDL2 to open a window and OpenGL 3.3 for rendering. The source is available here.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I've been trying out some new ideas for getting 256 colors into GLSL shader and still have it run fast. Eventually I succeeded. First I convert the RGB value into HSL.. then use the HSL info to determine which color range it should use. Each color range is like my earlier posterize filters, but each RGB channel & color range get their own shade steps/levels. Finally the colors are also snapped to VGA limits of 64 shades for each channel.

Image Image Image Image
zbang!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello,

I wanted to bring something crazy into Quake. :)
Had the idea of a "personal teleporter" that looks like a masked player-drone but can only walk straight.
You unleash him when pressing a keyboard button and teleport into the same position when pushing the button again. When you wait too long (5 sec) it disappears automatically and you can spawn it again.

That could bring some fun and new gameplay twists into old Quake. :)

Youtube clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDyRanyID0
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

thats pretty cool seven!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@Seven: interesting idea. I can see this being (ab)used in deathmatch and speed runs. Maybe as a random replacement for the ring of shadows.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@Barnes: 25% performance increase? Great!

@Jim: Looks definately cool! I can only imagine how much works it needed to port it to GLSL!

@Hazematman: you're the man! I always waited for someone re-inventing BSP renderer! Can you please taking in consideration to load Blender .blend files in addition of .map files? Would it be possible? Under which license is released your project? Keep it up!

@Seven: seems lots of fun! Love the ghost player! Did you try it in multiplayer yet?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

@Barnes: 25% performance increase?
yes)
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

toneddu2000: I guess it has taken quite some time if I count it back to when I first started experimenting with the GLSL and palette stuff. But really it's crappy looking compared to how this sort of stuff would look like in software. In software one texture pixel is always rendered with one color even if the pixel was bigger than one screen pixel. In GL one texture pixel can have multiple colors/shades, even with GL_NEAREST mode. If I then convert all colors into a palette, there's a good chance that the multiple shades on the texture pixel have some annoying "zebra" patterns, which are quite eye tearing in motion. The more colors in the palette, the more likely there's the errors.

Maybe I should use a software engine, but maybe still a Quake engine, so that I'd get to use the models. Just some of the features I've thought or have already, might not work. I get the feeling that software Quake engines don't have as many extensions for QC as DarkPlaces.

I took a screenshot from WinQuake with my 16 color palette. Grabbed the interesting parts and modified them to look like the things I saw in the shadows...
zbang!
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Got the editor up and running on Linux today.

SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Experimented with Quake1 or 2 style UV mapping. Instead of using the UV editor, I just use the 3D view to do the UV mapping, and then use Planar mapping. Though Blender seems a bit stupid about it, and I don't get it automatically Front on the Left and Back on the Right. I need to select the front faces, then UV them, and then flip selection and UV the back side. Then some moving/scaling in the UV editor and the UV map is done. Then I copy/pasted the UVs from the UV model to the regular model. It was much faster than marking seams and doing the "Unwrap", and then spend hours tweaking it to perfection with editor that is too incomprehensible on what's what in the UV map/model. Now it's perfectly clear how the UV map is going to look like.

Decided to try how's things in actual software. These 3 were from DOS Quake. Runs kinda slow in DOSBox with highres.
Image Image Image

Just noticed software engines clip the view model with water. Of course now there's no view model legs to be clipped.
zbang!
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Thought I would mirror fileaholic but it is way too slow. does anyone know who runs fileaholic/gameaholic? the webmaster@ address is dead.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
hogsy

Post by hogsy »