What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
mankrip

Re: What are you working on?

Post by mankrip »

That looks pretty sweet, Jim. It looks pretty fun.
hogsy wrote:The question is, if I’m drawing a rectangle onto the screen and then a triangle, why should they both use their own completely different rendering paths when they essentially are doing the same thing?
That's a software rendering heritage. In the software renderer, triangles, BSP polys, particles and GUI elements are extremely different things.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@mankrip:did you recreate ALL Quake textures? If so, it's a huge amount of work! Unfortunately I couldn't find any WAD viewer to see it :(
@hogsy: very interesting lecture! There's a lot of meat on the stake in your engine! I will follow any update! I'm curious about what you'll do about unifying rendering pipeline. That's a monumental phase!
@jim: I said too much times: I love your style! Great work! The one above on the right it's my favourite: you could create a game with that washed out very bright style
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

@mankrip:did you recreate ALL Quake textures? If so, it's a huge amount of work! Unfortunately I couldn't find any WAD viewer to see it :(
@hogsy: very interesting lecture! There's a lot of meat on the stake in your engine! I will follow any update! I'm curious about what you'll do about unifying rendering pipeline. That's a monumental phase!
@jim: I said that too much times: I love your style! Great work! The one above on the right it's my favourite: you could create a game with that washed out very bright style
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
qbism

Post by qbism »

I'm digging all the recent ultralow-poly stuff. Will post some of my sketches soon. Ran across this excellent character animation https://vimeo.com/68739348
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

mankrip wrote:
hogsy wrote:The question is, if I’m drawing a rectangle onto the screen and then a triangle, why should they both use their own completely different rendering paths when they essentially are doing the same thing?
That's a software rendering heritage. In the software renderer, triangles, BSP polys, particles and GUI elements are extremely different things.
Indeed, was aware of that and I should have mentioned it :oops:
I'll point that out when I do the next part.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Launched my Patreon campaign for the Retroquad game engine, and revealed the hybrid skybox feature:
Full HD screenshot 1
Full HD screenshot 2
Full HD screenshot 3
Video of it in action, plus an explanation of how it works.
toneddu2000 wrote:@mankrip:did you recreate ALL Quake textures?
No, I only added transparent texels in the textures where it made some sense. And also modified the skeleton arch texture of the first episode, making it full scale and with transparent pixels, and made an animated alphamasked fan texture.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

mankrip: The sky/mountains looks pretty good.

toneddu2000: Some of the brightness is probably from the dynamic lights.

And here's something blue... Kind of inspired of that blue level in Quake. I could make it bluer with colored lighting, or with more blue textures. I think I need to replace the red commandos with the blue elite commandos.
zbang!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

mankrip wrote:Launched my Patreon campaign for the Retroquad game engine, and revealed the hybrid skybox feature:
Full HD screenshot 1
Full HD screenshot 2
Full HD screenshot 3
Video of it in action, plus an explanation of how it works.
toneddu2000 wrote:@mankrip:did you recreate ALL Quake textures?
No, I only added transparent texels in the textures where it made some sense. And also modified the skeleton arch texture of the first episode, making it full scale and with transparent pixels, and made an animated alphamasked fan texture.

das sexy
mh

Post by mh »

I'm kicking around realtime lighting again. The objective isn't to do anything like normal mapping, but instead to just replicate classic Quake lighting but in realtime, so I'm taking the lighting formulas from light.exe and porting them over to shader code.

I currently don't have shadows but otherwise I'm quite pleased with the results of the lighting pass (about the only major remaining feature from light.exe left is spotlights). I've some vague notion that in the longer term I'll port it to D3D12 or Vulkan and see what kind of performance difference the newer API has to offer, but right now it's a fairly unoptimized Frankenstein OpenGL version.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Hey, it's been a while mh... Glad to see you didn't give up of thinkering with Quake yet :) How about performance ? Is it usable already ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mh

Post by mh »

frag.machine wrote:Hey, it's been a while mh... Glad to see you didn't give up of thinkering with Quake yet :) How about performance ? Is it usable already ?
It's timedemoing at about 500fps on an Intel HD 4000 right now, so indications are that it's going to be very usable even after shadows go in. That's with ID1 content of course, big maps are going to be less good, and if any funky light.exe command-line params were used (i.e stuff that can't be reconstructed from the BSP file) then it's not going to look right. I'm not too concerned about the last because this is really for personal use rather than public release.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Seven

Post by Seven »

mankrip, I like your hybrid skies very much. That is realy a feature I never saw elsewhere.
The fading horizon is already really nice but the possibility to add a lower half of a skybox is fantastic.

Last time I already clicked your patron page and saw a quite long video from you showing your home and the things that needs to be repaired.
Also a lot of screenshots and descriptio texts.
That page seems to be unfortunately no longer available...
I would like to say that I really hope that your situation is getting better soon.
You seem to be a nice and kind person with a love for the Quake game and engine.
Best of luck for you mankrip ! You are doing a great job with Retroquake.

I would like to show something rather small today I am currently working on in the "What are you working on" thread:
Nevertheless its a small thing, i like the look of it and it adds some ambience to the game in the actual condition.
It adds blood puddles to dead monsters.
I am not sure if another mod has done this before, so I would like to ask for feedback/suggestions to improve it.
The amount of particles still has to be finetuned and also the color and maybe animation speed, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lxtYBnfa4

The first scene shows it in detail while I am playing around with it a bit. The other following scenes shows some more in-game situations.
It is kept universal and is spawned for all monsters identically yet. I maybe have to add different sizes/colors to different monster types later.

Best Regards.
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Been doing some movement stuff for a side project.
So far I've added crouching and crouch sliding, which is really handy when you wanna slide under things or inside vents etc.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7eKoO4jLNs

I still need to write smoothing for the camera when crouching, and also client-side prediction for all the new movement.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Hey, nice Resident-Evil style bloodpools, Seven.

Codename:Envenom had something a bit like that (using sprites with .scale and .alpha animation), but C:E is a TC and not a mod, so your mod may indeed be the first.
Seven wrote:mankrip, I like your hybrid skies very much. That is realy a feature I never saw elsewhere.
The fading horizon is already really nice but the possibility to add a lower half of a skybox is fantastic.

Last time I already clicked your patron page [...]
That page seems to be unfortunately no longer available...
Thanks.

I decided to cancel the Patreon thing, but I'm still working on Retroquad. Progress on Retroquad will take longer than I wanted, but no problem.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Shpuld wrote:Been doing some movement stuff for a side project.
So far I've added crouching and crouch sliding, which is really handy when you wanna slide under things or inside vents etc.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7eKoO4jLNs

I still need to write smoothing for the camera when crouching, and also client-side prediction for all the new movement.
Pretty nice. It also needs a specific sound effect when sliding, because sometimes I wasn't sure if you were sliding in the video.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==