What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
gnounc

Re: What are you working on?

Post by gnounc »

added a handful of achievements to quake.
Just enough to test each trigger required.
the entirety of the mod works without csqc using sprint and centerprint.

I need to update parms so they follow you from level to level, and maybe store them in a file so you can save stats over multiple games.

also need to animate the csqc graphics, and add a screen for scrolling through locked and unlocked achievements.

edit:
not sure why the dropbox image isnt showing up. wooh.
Last edited by gnounc on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Internet access is definitely difficult for me now. Anyway, a week later, here's the screenies:
gnounc wrote:not sure why the dropbox image isnt showing up. wooh.
It's because of the ?dl=0 at the end of the url.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

thats what i thought too, ive tried it both ways (edited it out just now) still not showing up though :/
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

mankrip: looks smoother than few pages back.
toneddu2000 wrote:So cool jim, so cool... Can't wait to play it!
Can I ask you how do you realize double wielding system? It's kinda intriguing! :)
I was thinking of having a weapon selection menu like in Half-Life. 1 & 2 selects Tools & Shields for left arm, and other numbers select Weapons for right arm. Hopefully this simple gfx style allow me to fill each slot with 2 to 5 items. LMB fire weapons, RMB use the tools & shields. Player could also have some kind of charge/leap attack, like if you have a lance, you probably want to run it through an enemy, if you have more velocity, the lance will do more damage.

Hammer & Energy Shield. The hammer is going to throw bombs that set things on fire.

Lance & Grapple. Updated the lance with some better details. Still no idea what it does. Grapple helps player to move around. The front part is shot, and the hook things rotate when it hits something.

Bow & Katana. These are both weapons, so they can't be used together, it was just for the screenshot. The katana updates the old really simple looking sword.
zbang!
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0ciksxg2p890l2/pak2.pak?dl=0

quake acheivements. about 25 of them.
in a pak file, works in vanilla quake, has csqc for engines that support it.
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

mankrip: looking great, could you try having the particles square but rotated 45 deg? Like diamond shape? I think that would be pretty awesome, not quite as smooth as a circle but doesn't look as cheap as normal squares.

jim: loving colors and creativity in your game.

gnounc: sounds good, can't wait to try it out in practice.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

jim wrote:I was thinking of having a weapon selection menu like in Half-Life. 1 & 2 selects Tools & Shields for left arm, and other numbers select Weapons for right arm. Hopefully this simple gfx style allow me to fill each slot with 2 to 5 items. LMB fire weapons, RMB use the tools & shields. Player could also have some kind of charge/leap attack, like if you have a lance, you probably want to run it through an enemy, if you have more velocity, the lance will do more damage.
Good idea!

gnounc:thanks for sharing!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Jim: That's looking good! I'd only suggest using higher resolution skins for the first-person weapons.
Shpuld wrote:mankrip: looking great, could you try having the particles square but rotated 45 deg? Like diamond shape? I think that would be pretty awesome, not quite as smooth as a circle but doesn't look as cheap as normal squares.
It'd be easy to do, but I don't see a use for it in Quake itself.
And an ideal solution would be to use external scripts to define the shapes, but there's no need for that yet.

Also, the particle renderer doesn't support multiple shapes simultaneously. Each shape can take over 100 MB of RAM, so only one is used at a time. That may change, but not yet.

The particle drawing code is quite flawless - it compiles with zero warnings at level 3 - and I want to make the other parts of the engine as polished as it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

gnounc wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0ciksxg2p890l2/pak2.pak?dl=0

quake acheivements. about 25 of them.
in a pak file, works in vanilla quake, has csqc for engines that support it.
Nice! :D

Bugs I found so far: I walked over Chthon and got Icarian Flight for that, I also got that for just starting a new game somehow, shortly after start was loaded. Maybe from walking stairs? What is "achievement unlocked: you suck. no cheevo for you -desc" and "you suck. no cheevo for you -check"? Accountant and Cowboy are broken, I got them after playing through e1m1 with shots and damage.

In CSQC engines it would be great if the descriptions would be on the badges too, it is hard to guess. In FTEQW I always get a grey half circle on the bottom right of my crosshair when a badge comes up.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

allriiiight, someone tried it!

Icarian flight is busted, ive left it in for testing, and to remind myself to fix it later.
the you suck acheivements are debug prints. theyre for when you hit an unrecognized achievement.

ill look into cowboy and accountant, thanks : )
Also I'll look into the half cirlce showing up next to the crosshair, that shouldnt be happening obviously.

as for descriptions, im going to put in a page to view the achievements, so you can browse them and try to get some,
and you can look up any you dont know how you got.

Thanks again for the feedback : )
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

mankrip wrote:Jim: That's looking good! I'd only suggest using higher resolution skins for the first-person weapons.
The textures are all just Ambient Occlusion + Color. If I want a detail into something, I need to model it. I use some sharpening and coloring filters on the AO and overlay them, so they fit better with the level texture styles. It's sort of meant to look like using gl_picmip.
zbang!
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Maybe not the best thread to post this, but I'm most likely gonna be taking part in Ludum Dare 32 (http://ludumdare.com/compo/) this weekend, with FTEQW being my engine of choice of course. I'll be streaming the whole on my personal twitch, http://www.twitch.tv/shpuld. It's more like 'what are you going to work on?' instead of 'what are you working on?' :P
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Shpuld wrote:Maybe not the best thread to post this, but I'm most likely gonna be taking part in Ludum Dare 32 (http://ludumdare.com/compo/) this weekend, with FTEQW being my engine of choice of course. I'll be streaming the whole on my personal twitch, http://www.twitch.tv/shpuld. It's more like 'what are you going to work on?' instead of 'what are you working on?'
Supercool Shpuld! I learned so much from Mobster Massacre! Can't wait to see it! :D
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Shpuld wrote:Maybe not the best thread to post this, but I'm most likely gonna be taking part in Ludum Dare 32 (http://ludumdare.com/compo/) this weekend, with FTEQW being my engine of choice of course. I'll be streaming the whole on my personal twitch, http://www.twitch.tv/shpuld. It's more like 'what are you going to work on?' instead of 'what are you working on?' :P
Of course it's relevant to the thread! Good luck with your entry!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'm sorry Shpuld, I'm going to have to delete your face for violating the grammar rules of this thread.

Please update your avatar to be just a pair of floating headphones in that same room.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.