Detailed MDL format docs?

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
JasonX

Detailed MDL format docs?

Post by JasonX »

I'm writing a small MDL viewier/editor and i'm interested in knowing more details about the format. Any links? Basically, i'm using QT to recreate what QME does, in a more modern and cross-platform framework. For fun, obviously.
r00k

Re: Detailed MDL format docs?

Post by r00k »

Spike

Post by Spike »

pretty much just regular 8-bit trisoup. except with added front/back weirdness. the easiest way to handle rendering that is to create two sets of verticies and select the front/back vertex based upon the triangle.
framegroups and especially skingroups are rare enough that its almost tempting to not bother with them at all, without these things its quite a simple format.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Spike wrote:framegroups and especially skingroups are rare enough that its almost tempting to not bother with them at all, without these things its quite a simple format.
I agree about skingroups, but unfortunately framegroups were surprisingly frequent on third part models (prydon gate's peasants for example).
Well, looking as a modder I suppose that for an engine with so few non-essential features supported anything additional offered was worth to use.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

framegroups mean less network traffic. in a world of client-side code, this becomes redundant. iirc, carmack regretted adding framegroups in one of his .plans. personally I think a startframe/count/rate might have been a better choice, if only because it would have meant that a whole lot of monsters etc would then have no excuse to not use it.
however, when you do get client-side code and skeletal blending, framegroups/animations become much more interesting.

either way, they're rare enough that you can ignore them in the early stages of writing an editor. often its better to get something working than to get bored before you managed to get anything fun working.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Framegroups are great for networking and QC coding; they simplify it a lot. And it makes a lot of sense to use them in looped animations (e.g. idling and walking).

Engine-wise, of course, they can be annoying. But it's more a matter of the whole MDL code being poorly structured.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube