Modern Quake

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
JasonX

Modern Quake

Post by JasonX »

So, there are a few games being developed that are bringing back the arena shooters back. Strife, an indie title, bringing the Doom feel back. What would you like to seen in a modern Quake title?

I don't really like the idea of retro-graphics, i would love to see something with AAA graphics/physics/audio, but with classic gameplay. Specially in multiplayer: wtf is wrong with developers nowdays? Every multiplayer FPS has some kind of XP, unlockables, levels, etc.
frag.machine

Re: Modern Quake

Post by frag.machine »

JasonX wrote:So, there are a few games being developed that are bringing back the arena shooters back. Strife, an indie title, bringing the Doom feel back. What would you like to seen in a modern Quake title?

I don't really like the idea of retro-graphics, i would love to see something with AAA graphics/physics/audio, but with classic gameplay. Specially in multiplayer: wtf is wrong with developers nowdays? Every multiplayer FPS has some kind of XP, unlockables, levels, etc.
Actually I can't imagine a twitchy FPS with realistic artwork as seen in modern shooters. It would look silly.
And about the "all FPS' are also a RPG": I blame Destiny. Next in the line: "all FPS' are also an RTS"...
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

I think it's more what's wrong with gamers, not the developers (regarding XP/progression stuff).

Lots of people feel the need to have some sort of reward in order to justify their time playing, even if it is just some number that ticks up. Games without this tend to lose popularity rather quickly. As much as I don't care for it, even I am considering adding something like that to Paintball2 to hopefully retain more players.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I'd like to see more Quake! No matter how visually improved would be! :D But, maybe, one of the next gen things I'd love to see it's real time global illumination with huge maps and real physics interaction. I'd love to see a giant medieval castle, lit by a sunset bright light, projecting soft realistic shadows and orange-color bounce on the walls in realtime. And interact with monsters in a physical way, (pushing them with a running start would make them fall). I've seen once a beta video of Rage where a mutant was running against the player wielding a sword and player shot him with the shotgun and monster kept running while bending / rotating his spine for the shot power. That would be awesome in Quake, imo :D

PS: Carmack, back in 90's, talked about vector textures. Never seen them. Maybe for a new Quake release that could be the good day to show if it's possible! :lol:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine