Compiling DOS Quake?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Compiling DOS Quake?

Post by Baker »

I found this engine by Maraakate, has some interesting features. Even has protocol 666 support.

http://dk.toastednet.org/QDOS/

Looks like it uses djgpp, I'd like to graft a couple of things into it to see if DOS can handle it or if it blows up.

I have the pre-requisites to compile it, but I'm not sure what exactly to do. Do I need to compile with within DOSBox or what kind of environment is required to run the make file?

Can gcc actually compile DOS Quake?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Re: Compiling DOS Quake?

Post by leileilol »

Q1source.zip is missing the proper makefile, QIP fixes that with a new one (but unfortunately QIP also uses long file names which breaks compiling it on pure dos (non win9x) systems).
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:long file names [...] breaks compiling it on pure dos (non win9x) systems
DOSLFN to the rescue. And a fork of it (which seems to be included in FreeDOS).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Baker

Post by Baker »

Thanks for the information.

(Explains why Maraakate's files were all uppercase 8.3 file names.)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

Someone on Vogons has advanced a super8 port that builds cleanly with djgpp running on dosbox. Could use it for guidance if you get stuck.

I wonder if the video acceleration mentioned on QDOS site works in dosbox.
Baker

Post by Baker »

qbism wrote:Someone on Vogons has advanced a super8 port that builds cleanly with djgpp running on dosbox. Could use it for guidance if you get stuck.

Not sure, but It seems to be a remarkably high quality engine. The readme indicates it has at least one of the pesky typical "modded WinQuake with extras" issues like crashing when going into water.

He seems to have done a pretty thorough job with it, according to the docs tested not only the QWDOS but also the QDOS online.

A couple of years ago, Maraakate took the Undergate single player selector map I made and made a rather sophisticated Quakeworld coop mod that used it (he's very strong in QuakeC, etc.)
qbism wrote:Someone on Vogons has advanced a super8 port
Pretty cool. :D
qbism

Post by qbism »

Amazing feature list... FQ protocol, OK no problem, but nehahra!? In related news jsDosBox v3 was released a few days ago.
Baker

Post by Baker »

qbism wrote: FQ protocol, OK no problem, but nehahra!?

I dunno, maybe. I did this 2 months ago or so. Loads the skyboxes, sprite32s, etc.

Code: Select all

static	int	sprite_version;
/*
=================
Mod_LoadSpriteFrame
=================
*/
void * Mod_LoadSpriteFrame (void * pin, mspriteframe_t **ppframe, int framenum)
{
	dspriteframe_t		*pinframe;
	mspriteframe_t		*pspriteframe;
	int					width, height, size, origin[2];
	byte* input_source = NULL;
	byte* usage_source = NULL;

pinframe = (dspriteframe_t *)pin;

width = LittleLong (pinframe->width);
	height = LittleLong (pinframe->height);

input_source = (byte *)(pinframe + 1);
	size = width * height;

if (sprite_version == SPRITE32_VERSION)
	{
		// Baker: Time to perform surgery
		// Convert the pixels to QPAL
		// Then use the alpha channel as a mask
		// If alpha == 0, make the QPAL for the pixel 255
		usage_source = Image_RGBA_To_QPAL_On_Alpha_Alloc (input_source, width, height, 30);
	}
	else usage_source = input_source;

pspriteframe = (mspriteframe_t *)Hunk_AllocName (sizeof (mspriteframe_t) 
		+ size
		, loadname);

// memset (pspriteframe, 0, sizeof (mspriteframe_t) + size);
	// Baker: commented above out since Hunk_Alloc does this for us  
	*ppframe = pspriteframe;

pspriteframe->width = width;
	pspriteframe->height = height;
	origin[0] = LittleLong (pinframe->origin[0]);
	origin[1] = LittleLong (pinframe->origin[1]);

pspriteframe->up = origin[1];
	pspriteframe->down = origin[1] - height;
	pspriteframe->left = origin[0];
	pspriteframe->right = width + origin[0];

memcpy (&pspriteframe->pixels[0], usage_source, size);

if (sprite_version == SPRITE32_VERSION)
		free (usage_source);

return (void *)((byte *)pinframe + sizeof (dspriteframe_t) + size);
}
revelator

Post by revelator »

Could probably also use Open Watcom with the super8 port :) it supports dos as well as windows os2 and linux.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Maraakate

Post by Maraakate »

Baker wrote:
qbism wrote:Someone on Vogons has advanced a super8 port that builds cleanly with djgpp running on dosbox. Could use it for guidance if you get stuck.

Not sure, but It seems to be a remarkably high quality engine. The readme indicates it has at least one of the pesky typical "modded WinQuake with extras" issues like crashing when going into water.

He seems to have done a pretty thorough job with it, according to the docs tested not only the QWDOS but also the QDOS online.

A couple of years ago, Maraakate took the Undergate single player selector map I made and made a rather sophisticated Quakeworld coop mod that used it (he's very strong in QuakeC, etc.)
qbism wrote:Someone on Vogons has advanced a super8 port
Pretty cool. :D
Huge bump, but hey Baker. Thanks for the kind words!

There has been some very thorough testing, especially in online play. I personally play on the QWCOOP server I run with my client and occasionally play on quake.shmack.net. In the early dev period (2012) I was letting it spectate for literally days on multiple machines spectating that huge custom TF coop server. Found a lot of bugs that way. :)

Your posts are from 2014, but in the past two years Sezero and I were able to get 3dfx rendering working with fxMesa, Mesa 5 and Sage drivers with the glide3x project. Luckily, this stuff already had DJGPP build environments from dborcas efforts in the early-2000s. Sezero did port Sage to DJGPP. Stack limit needed to be raised to 1MB to enable the OpenGL rendering.

Another addition was converting the entire engine to use Quake 2's CVAR system. This allows me to use +set ,etc. at startup and reading stuff like that early. Previously, it relied on special parsing code Sezero wrote for HoT to deal with that issue.

The sprite code looks interesting; I'll have to add that and check it out sometime. I haven't done too much testing in Nehahra specifically, and some of that code to enable that was in my earlier efforts from a couple of years ago.

The QWCOOP mod was mostly coded by Freewill, with some additions by me; so I can't take most of the credit for that praise. I now currently maintain the QC code for QWCOOP. But most of the ent file fixes and all the checkpoints were mostly done by me as well. I also modded MVDSV_XE (which we're unfortunately using atm for the mod) to fix some bugs that we came across using that mod as well as adding QuakeForge HTTP DL support (also is there any other QW engines that support HTTP DL? Q2 has a very easy to implement HTTP DL solution for clients and servers).

If you think all of that stuff was cool, I'm particularly proud of Q2DOS. Even compiled for Windows it's a very viable client. It uses the Yamagi Q2 game code and I've been working close with Caedes and Yamagi when new bugs are found in their game code. And it also has the HTTP downloading, a server browser, and other cool stuff. Currently it is even running as a dedicated server (in Windows!) to host a coop server that supports Vanilla and the other mission packs in one self-contained game DLL. :)
Maraakate

Post by Maraakate »

Also, if you're interested in still hacking it you can get mingqw under Windows 32-bit (64-bit mingw cross-compilers for DJGPP seem to be generating bad binaries and I haven't investigated that issue); or you can cross-compile very easily in Linux.

I saw a post by you mentioning reasons for not using Linux as a full-time OS and I agree on the same points. With that said, I use Oracle VirtualBox with Debian and with this I can do make -j 8 on my i7 4790K and cross-compile QDOS and Q2DOS ridiculously fast. A lot easier than trying to dual-boot Windows 32-bit as I currently have "finally" upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Maraakate wrote:Also, if you're interested in still hacking it you can get mingqw under Windows 32-bit (64-bit mingw cross-compilers for DJGPP seem to be generating bad binaries and I haven't investigated that issue); or you can cross-compile very easily in Linux.
Hey Maraakate,

Two thoughts ...

a) You might be interested in this thread. http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61375 Has a very refined software renderer.

b) Is the source code for your Undergate experiments available? I'm largely interested in any changes or adjustments you needed to make for any of the maps for coop.

But yeah, I thought your work on DOSQuake was cool. Although I must admit, the ways that modern maps require hordes of memory and like to use really long files names has somewhat deterred the thought of me thinking too much about building for DOS.
Maraakate

Post by Maraakate »

Source code for the mod is available at: https://bitbucket.org/maraakate/hci-und ... -maraakate

If you need the source code for MVDSV_XE let me know and I'll make it available to you. Has some server specific code that I added that contains some server-sensitive info and I haven't found time to clean that up yet.

Thanks for the link to the engine. I'm not interested right now in overhauling the software renderer with special effects. But, if they are ASM and run well I may be interested.

I can personally play warpspasm on my P3 800 with 512MB RAM at a decent speed. Can't give you specific ballpark figure, but it's playable. Someone with a modern PC, using doslfn on a flash drive should be able to play the new huge ones just fine. I can play them on that machine, but it's usually like 10-20fps. Bordering on completely unplayable :).
Baker

Post by Baker »

Thanks for the refined Undergate modifications link.

Maybe I'll be able to mine some gems out of what live server testing discovered.

I've cooped it plenty of times myself. And on your server a few occasions. But never made any notes about potential coop-killer issues :biggrin:
Maraakate

Post by Maraakate »

I believe it was you who had the idea of setting players temporarily as SOLID_NOTs during respawn. I added this idea to my Q2 Coop mod as part of the respawn protection. Works very well for maps that have no info_player_coop spawns. Really need to get that into the QW mod at some point.