What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
mankrip

Re: What are you working on?

Post by mankrip »

Those looks sweet jim!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spike

Post by Spike »

they remind me of sc2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/) for some reason, but more stylised. and more 3d.
I'm curious as to what sort of game they're for.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I've thought some more how it could work.. here's some "idea" thread: http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/tigercake

Short summary:
* TigerCake (WIP title?)
* action flight sim
* 20+ ships to use for player and as enemies
* randomized size/role for the enemies
* each ship with 2 unique weapons (at least unique combinations)
* collectable special/power weapons (can be used by any ship)
* ship development
* done in 4 to 6 months (not counting this october)

I probably prototype it with Quake, but I have a feeling it won't work exactly as intended in it. At least DarkPlaces goes into some "trick-bicycle-mode" when player turns upside down. I think I may need some help with programming if it uses something else.

I also want to sell this thing, but it should be pretty cheap, like 1 to 3 euro. The demo version could have 25-33% of the full version content.
zbang!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Good luck! Don't let the license zealots bite.

Also btw I got a full 256 color lookup working by cutting the color values to 18-bit first (256 per channel -> 64 per channel), which allowed it to cache the whole palette. Still no LUT texture though. It's also slow as hell. Maybe I should try to hack my way into a totally integer lookup
i should not be here
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Good luck jim! I always found that starting a commercial project is the best way to finish a project! Maybe because a person is more motivated! When it's done I'll sure buy it! Waiting to see it in the Indipendent Game section!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Spike

Post by Spike »

jim wrote: I probably prototype it with Quake, but I have a feeling it won't work exactly as intended in it. At least DarkPlaces goes into some "trick-bicycle-mode" when player turns upside down. I think I may need some help with programming if it uses something else.
#define MOVETYPE_6DOF 30 // flightsim mode, ish
(fte only. should be possible to emulate it with dp, but you'd have to use quite a lot of csqc to do so, essentually you would need to intercept the +left etc commands, as well as mouse movement)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Looks neat Jim! Good Luck! :)
Spike wrote: #define MOVETYPE_6DOF 30 // flightsim mode, ish
(fte only. should be possible to emulate it with dp, but you'd have to use quite a lot of csqc to do so, essentually you would need to intercept the +left etc commands, as well as mouse movement)
?! :shock: !?

Well, that pretty much commands me to make that Star Raiders clone idea I was playing around with in FTE at some point in the future. :o
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I'll break a leg :P

Here's another set... I think I'm going to try make them in some "themes", which could then be associated with level themes/episodes, and also work as teams in team deathmatch.

zbang!
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I love the ones on the left side. Upper seems to fit well in a lava/hellish theme and lower seems to be perfect for a naturalistic/jungle env!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Attempting to participate in Map Jam 3, which is using a Zerstorer theme.

...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Made a robot character that has kinda crash test dummy vibe to it. It's for a project I'm gonna post about here soon enough.

scar3crow: looks like a good start, I really like these map jams.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

scar3crow: Reminds me of the entrance area in the wizard's manse.

Shpuld: Looking good. Maybe the face is a bit scary.

==
I've been trying that 6DOF, and I'm thinking maybe I'll do some simpler flight game instead. Probably also easier for new players to get into it. Maybe sort of a combination of top-down and 3D. I've also tried some "slow" acceleration and high max speed, which could work for some racing game too, but mouse look can be too fast for that...
zbang!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

shpuld i really like your character.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Trying out some textures. I had them 64x64 scaled to 128x128 game units, maybe the textures sucked, so I used gl_picmip 3, which makes it 8x8 scaled to 128x128. I also used my earlier posterize shader with 9 shade levels.

First Person View
In the distance

In my dream last night I had some idea that I would make some simple color textures, just one shade/color in each, and then assign the different parts in the models into them. Then the models could easily change their colors, and I wouldn't need to care much about UV mapping.
zbang!
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

jim: loving the interesting colors with the massive banding