[FTE][In Glacial Dev] Smash

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

[FTE][In Glacial Dev] Smash

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

First, a very quick and crude mock up of the logo (still needs work):

Smash is a free, open-source, closed distribution First Person Shooter featuring gameplay inspired by classics such as Doom, Duke3d, and of course Quake. It will feature a full singleplayer, and multiplayer experience.

Who:
The Player - You of course. Trapped in the locker room of fate, take up the Gauntlets of the Hero and crush General Ryan Lathotep's plan (and his nuts) to destroy reality itself!

The Resistance - The remaining unconverted survivors of the TimeQuake that transported Vista City and it's immediate surroundings into the Deserts of Limbo.

General Ryan Lathotep - The source of all evil. Nobody knows where he came from, what they DO know is that his unnatural charisma allowed him to bewitch the leaders into giving him control of the military, where he built and detonated the prototype TimeQuake device beneath Vista City. Rumors indicate that he plans to destroy reality itself in order to effect a return of the "Old Ones"...

The Thrall - The General's minions, onetime humans that fell to his charisma. Autopsy of killed members reveals rampant mutation and tissue necrosis beneath the armor and breathing apparatus. Beware late term Thrall, for they sport bizzare cybernetic enhancements...

The Illithids - Brain-eating, Psy-masters of biomechanical and genetically engineered monstrosities.

The Denizens - Horrific monstrosities that patrol the Desert of Limbo...

What:
Ten Weapons.
Three Timed Powerups.
An assortment of awesome equipment.

Where:

The Desert of Limbo - A maddening desert on the edge of reality populated by extremely tough and hostile lifeforms.

Vista City - What remains of the city after the General detonated the TimeQuake Device and attacked it with his army of darkness. Normal, if somewhat damaged buildings and a functional underground system of sewers, subways, and research base remnants.

Lake Vista - Featuring a really nice mountain (of madness), a hydroelectric dam, and god knows what else that lives - or sleeps - now dreaming below the dark reaches of the lake...

Ruins - Forgotten remnants of lost civilizations that ended up getting sucked into the Desert of Limbo...Some still remain on the surface, others lie beneath the desert...

More to come later....
SusanMDK

Re: [FTE][In Glacial Dev] Smash

Post by SusanMDK »

Sounds interesting, a bit like one RPG (and a card) game "Kult" that I used to play with my brother, which was also a little bit like H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
zbang!
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Hellsmash+? With the ante upped with the dedicated engine?

I'll be waiting for some eyecandy

edit:
update your blog!
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

That logo... sorry, that's just a bad choice. At least choose a different background for the emblem. *cough*
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

goldenboy wrote:That logo... sorry, that's just a bad choice. At least choose a different background for the emblem. *cough*
I thought so too, which is why I'm working on something better right now. I'm going to keep the center icon / sigil / rune thing (but make it smaller overall with a shorter center spike, and giving it placement to sorta look like an eye), add some strogg wingskull-ish (only bony / tuskish) skull-like brackets, and some reddish / bloody hints to the pointer parts of it, on a black background. Ingame crate textures probably won't have the fullcolor of the logo, and the ingame banner textures / models will probably have more of a very dark greyish background color.
gnounc wrote:Hellsmash+? With the ante upped with the dedicated engine?

I'll be waiting for some eyecandy

edit:
update your blog!
Pretty much, though the ante is upped a whole lot more, this is a standalone game! :wink:

Eyecandy will take a little while, I have LOTS of blender work ahead. :shock:

I will once I have a better logo for it. :)
jim wrote:Sounds interesting, a bit like one RPG (and a card) game "Kult" that I used to play with my brother, which was also a little bit like H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
I forgot to mention that theres more than a little Strife DNA in the mix here too, so RPG inspiriation applies. :D
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Still needs work, but new logo posted.

Smash Logo: The ultimate experience in Cyclopic Logo Horror!

Now, I just hope I haven't ripped somebody else's logo off without realizing it...
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I think that's better already.
Baker

Post by Baker »

For some reason, I recall you saying something about only the PSP version of HellSmash existing or some such thing.

Then again, I could be wrong.

But in the event I'm not --- nope, the source code still exists:

http://www.quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/qsrbeta3a_src.zip

[Looks like Spirit's archive has it too]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Baker wrote:For some reason, I recall you saying something about only the PSP version of HellSmash existing or some such thing.

Then again, I could be wrong.

But in the event I'm not --- nope, the source code still exists:

http://www.quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/qsrbeta3a_src.zip

[Looks like Spirit's archive has it too]
Smash != Hellsmash

Smash = New, Free Standalone game, is quite different from Quake with things like the city / desert ruins being divided into "Operation Areas", that can be played in any order. (At least 2-4 ways to change areas, primary one initally is travel by APC. I might add Bionic Commando-esque (NES) transit encounters where you fight off HKs, Sentinels, and Thralls)

Hellsmash = needs Quake, was going to feature a full episode + new monsters + enhanced boss fights, is now cancelled because I think that the number of people who actually played it could probably be counted on two hands...

Previous to 0.4a release, all you could get was the PSP release that mrgreezy made. Just look for Hellsmash 0.4 or some such. (you should find the main download over at Spirit's Quake Advent Calendar, the patch in the Hellsmash 0.4a thread here)

Beta3a's source code is horribly outdated. Try this version:
http://fbe.am/u72

That will probably be the LAST version of the original Hellsmash QC to be released.

You will need to use FTEQW if you intend to run that, CSQC is used. I dunno if you can just put a fresh csprogs.dat and progs.dat into the 0.4 release folders to play it or not.

Highlights included the TNT Paranoia weapon, the 20mm cannon (fire six shots into a monster, then watch as he explodes with his headgib leaving flames), and of course the CSQC HUD.