FTE Vanilla Option

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

FTE Vanilla Option

Post by Baker »

The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spirit

Re: FTE Vanilla Option

Post by Spirit »

Please make a proper post or link to an original FTEQW source, not just a link to a third-party website. Like this it is just spam.

Saying this as moderator after seeing this post flagged, not as "competitor".
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Wow, really?

A Quake-related news post from another Quake site is spam? :shock:

Where are the horse and the rider...
r00k

FTE Vanilla Option

Post by r00k »

The FTE engine recently got a new graphics preset.

And it's the one many Quakers like best:

Vanilla.

As in,

Intro videos
Square particles
"Nearest" rendering for sharp pixels
Netquake physics
No replacement content
Faster loading times

Not bad for a Quakeworld engine, huh.

On top of that, there has been a whole lot of bugfixing to make vanilla Quake
a more pleasant experience in FTE and keep it close to the original.
From repositioning fish and scrags to stripping the weapons when using the
"map" command, from fixing the Armagon cutscene to monsters that used to
walk through the walls, the last few weeks have been interesting in the FTE camp.

Quake and both mission packs should now be playable again without any major bugs.

Give it a try!

From the Options menu, in "Graphics presets" select "vanilla."

And set the controls for the heart of the Quake.
There. now googlebots can come here too.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

It IS spammy. It's spamming for quakeone.com. Arguably, it doesn't really belong in the Engine Programming section, because it is a news post. (Hint: You should have put it in the News & Announcments Section. Or asked somebody to post about it there.)

Vanilla preset isn't really anything new, it's been in FTE for like, AGES. Thus, it is advertising. (This would have been overlooked, if it had actually listed new features or something.)

Also, you should have included a direct link to fte.

http://fteqw.com/ftedownloads/experimental
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

No, it is a new feature and really nice! You think of the "faithful" preset or something, it is a bit confusing.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spike

Post by Spike »

to clarify spirit:
there's two presets a bit like this.
the (new) vanilla preset attemps to be closer to the sw renderer (lego quake, square particles etc), disallows texture replacements, it blocks half the screen with the sbar, it enforces nq physics and thus lacks prediction too. its oldskool. its somewhat risky to use it on account of the fact that it actually disables features that mods might depend upon (custom particles, or textures that replace placeholder wads). its basically aimed at func_msgboard people. :P
the other (old) preset is the 'faithful' preset, which is more like glquake with round particles and linear filtering and stuff, it has the qw hud, no startup demos and feels more modern, and supports texture replacements.
the others either disable everything to focus purely on speed, or enable rtlights and other stuff in abundance.

while you could have tweaked your config to activate most of the things the vanilla preset sets, an explicit option makes it much easier to configure it that way, the square particles thing is much easier to achieve, and there were unfortunately bugfixes needed to get it working properly, so those things are new whether you consider them significant or not.

otherwise yes, link spam is spam regardless of the value of the links, at least when they don't actually say what the link is about.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Whoops, indeed I was thinking of "Faithful". :oops:

I stand (pleasantly) corrected. :)

Still though, mistakes are mistakes:

1. Needs more verbosity in describing what it is. What Spike and Spirit said also helps immensely in preventing confusion with "faithful" preset.
2. Should be put in News & Announcments, not Engine Programming.
3. Needed direct link to where you can get FTE.
Baker

Post by Baker »

1) In FTE, it really shouldn't show the pause graphic in single player if you pull up the console or go to the menu.

2) I have .vis files for the id1 maps, which FTE reads (I think). My r_wateralpha cvar is 0.5 and it draws the water wrong (I see skybox). This is probably due to not typing the Quakeworld server info water transparency key in, but for NQ compatibility in single player, it probably should just use the r_wateralpha.
Last edited by Baker on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Linking with one word is clickbait web advertisement bullshit, plain and simple as that. and it would be better for the horses' mouth to come out and start a topic here about it instead, or at least someone who's excited for it that doesn't exploit that excitement to plug their own cliquey place.
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

I would mentally file some of these interesting replies in the "wtf" category.

This little subforum is like a forgotten dungeon, which makes it the only good place for technical discussion. And a technical discussion is the only kind I'm interested in.

But I figure there isn't much going on and we're all bored or something. :) On the plus side, I thought only Spike, R00k and I read these threads.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Baker wrote:I thought only Spike, R00k and I read these threads.
myself, R00k, and yourself all visit quakeone occasionally. :P

fte has no support for vis patches. I get the feeling that there are multiple formats, but I don't recall ever actually finding any content that actually provided them and thus never found them interesting (things always seem more interesting when they're shoved infront of your face and refuse to allow you to do what you were actually trying to do in the first place). you could always just apply them to the bsps themselves. tbh, you might be better off tweaking r_waterstyle instead or something, it doesn't need vis patching.

@leileilol regarding the horses mouth...
10 years, 2448 posts... 7 threads started (5 of them in 2010 alone!). apparently I'm not very good at starting new threads. :(
also, I'm getting old. :'(
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

OK, I guess we all learned something today. :-s

It would just be cool if we could all get along.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Speaking as supposedly the last publicly active WinQuake developer, screenshots like this make it tempting to finally throw in the towel on software rendering.

Normally I would want to keep fixes turned on including framerate independent physics. However, maddening issues can occur in certain maps due to variations in engine physics, so the switches are good.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The one thing (that I know of) that's not made it into a released version is this:

Spike came up with the idea of replicating the banding effect that software has in GLSL, or as some kind of lookup table post process filter. We both fiddled with some GLSL and there was a pretty good result, but it just blew out with fullbrights/overbrights :-/

If this could be fixed, the vanilla mode would be close to perfect.

This was one of the results, but it looked bad in other spots so I don't think Spike included it.