[FTE][in production] Scout's Journey

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
goldenboy

[FTE][in production] Scout's Journey

Post by goldenboy »

Scout's Journey is a first-person role-playing/adventure game.

It is currently being made with the FTE engine, QuakeC/CSQC, IQM model format and QFusion's FBSP map format.

It has been in development since June 2012.
In the dream, Scout journeys between the worlds. Scout travels to the realm of the dead and back to help her people. Scout meets the gods. Scout makes friends in unlikely places, and quickly makes it to #1 on the “Most Wanted” list of High Executioner Lord Voch and his inquisitors. The Order wants ‘the Intruder’ burned at the stake, while the gods play a deadly game of checkers where black and white are almost indistinguishable.
The game will have single-player and coop game types. There will be a half dozen large levels, interconnected by a hub system and a quick travel network. Collecting and exchanging loot will be central to gameplay. There is also first person combat and a deep story with several main characters. Scout is the game's female protagonist, thrown into a multi-faction dimensional warzone when her superiors need a redshirt to send on a surveillance mission. But Scout turns out to be tougher than some people are comfortable with...

Currently a large part of the game's environment exists and is being worked on; a lot of mapmodels, items and weapon models exist; the underlying loot system and random loot selection are implemented; the CSQC HUD and mouse driven inventory etc. exist; a lot of concept art has been done; the story (including cutscenes) has been written from A to Z; and a voluminous game development document including detailed technical documentation is practically finished. What largely remains to be done are the character models; I intend to start these after I implement viewmodels.

I aim to have something like a video introduction ready by spring 2014.

Blog

Scout's Journey has a regularly updated dev blog: http://spawnhost.wordpress.com/

Images

A small selection of images from the project follows; lots more can be found at the dev blog (http://spawnhost.wordpress.com/profile-scouts-journey/).

Irritant

Re: [FTE][in production] Scout's Journey

Post by Irritant »

NIce!

I had no idea FTE had that kind of rendering tech.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I had no idea FTE had that kind of rendering tech.
FTE has support for normal/specular maps, realtime lights, shadowmaps, cubemaps, and reliefmapping, and a scriptable particle system. As well as Quake 3 shaders and GLSL. Obviously it's no Crysis 3, but you can get FTE to look like Doom 3 and then some, especially due to GLSL shaders. So it should be possible to make a good looking game.

CSQC, heightmap terrain and the shader system are probably some killer FTE features.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

NO FAIR, I hadnt seen that location 4 screenshot yet!
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

ajay

Post by ajay »

Love the floor in the 8th shot down; very realistic, imo the most realistic I've seen in a Quake engine game.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

ajay wrote:Love the floor in the 8th shot down; very realistic, imo the most realistic I've seen in a Quake engine game.
Glad you like it. I think it's the specular highlight / normal map that does it. The light source is so close to the floor that the relief and the highlight appear pretty strong.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Yup, I can make one of those a day.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Very raw first pass at texturing / lighting that level.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

It looks like that entire scene was carved straight out of a mountain.
Very convincing, great work! Cant waitto see the second pass.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Radiant is for pussies from now on. :wink:
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I have been wondering if I should continue posting here, since this subforum doesn't seem like an outrageous success so far, and there is also the SJ dev blog.

I think as a compromise, I might post a monthly report here.

During April, I fleshed out some of the game's features and characters. There will be 2 more named NPCs, both of them Herd Banshees. I wrote some more dialogue scripts. The loose idea for environmental hazards I'd been kicking around for a year or more solidified into the concept of a "dimensional eddie." There are various ways to create these eddies or make them invisible for use as traps, to detect them and turn your enemies' eddies into your own, and such. An eddie will be acting like an unpredictable teleporter; some will crush you on contact, others will lead to lost dungeons. The ways to test an eddie to determine its nature will be varied and fun, e.g. using enemies as guinea pigs. I also worked on my Doom 3 and Warsow stuff but got a bit fed up with both.

During May, so far, I continued work on environment modelling in Blender. FTE got mesh collision (shader based or global), so clip brushes aren't the only way to get stuff colliding anymore. I started a modular set for the Herdbase theme. I implemented one of the central gameplay mechanics (loot is one, this one is basically what to do with loot.) I also defined most of the quests in the game (about 90 individual objectives.) One result of this is that I'm going to rip the middle out of the old RMQ e1m3 and completely rebuild that in Blender. I now have a great concept for the main quest in that map.

http://spawnhost.wordpress.com/

I'm posting less screenshots now consciously because I don't want to spill all of the beans yet.

I also deleted the source code repository, because I wrote heaps of new code that contains heavy spoilers (the quest stuff for instance) and I don't want that out on the net. One person doesn't really need a git repo anyway.
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Erh, I'd just post "continue like you're doing" all the time :P