Darkplaces MD2 problem

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
drm_wayne

Darkplaces MD2 problem

Post by drm_wayne »

I converted a blender model to MD2, it looked fine in the Quake2 Model Editor,
but in Darkplaces i get errormessages about the Skincoordinates and the skin looks messed up...
Anybody knows how i can fix that??

Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Darkplaces MD2 problem

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

drm_wayne wrote:I converted a blender model to MD2, it looked fine in the Quake2 Model Editor,
but in Darkplaces i get errormessages about the Skincoordinates and the skin looks messed up...
Anybody knows how i can fix that??
Blender's .md2 scripts have been broken for the longest time IIRC.

Unless you need .md2 for use in unmodified Q2 engines (I'm assuming not given that you're using DP), you can use .iqm or taniwha's .mdl scripts which are much, much better alternatives. (use .iqm if your model has nice animations, it should help with vertex swimming)
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Cant use IQM, only MDL and MD2...
And both have messed up skins, i tryed almost every way to export/convert, but it looks like i just cant use the model :/
The skin is messed up or have the wrong coordinates...
qbism

Post by qbism »

Does it matter that coordinate is 256, or is 255 expected? I don't know if DP starts counting texture coordinates at "zero" or "one".

[edit]Oops, Quakeforge is mdl exporter mentioned by Dr. Shadowborg, not md3. The md3 exporter may be found on katsbits http://www.katsbits.com/files/md3/md3-2 ... sample.zip[/edit]

Blender md3 exporter works on models I've tried but I haven't used those in DP. Might be worth a shot. Bonus: no vertex swimming. IIRC, DP has special naming conventions for md3 textures, etc.
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Ok i found the bug, it was just Blenders export plugins messing up the UVW Coordiantes..
I exported everything as FBX and fixed the UVWs in 3ds and exported to MD2 without errors 8)

Im not really working with Blender, but Duke did that model in blender for my Quakemod xD