The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
SleepwalkR

The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Post by SleepwalkR »

Today I am releasing TrenchBroom 1.0 for Windows and Mac OS X. TrenchBroom is a modern cross-platform level editor for Quake.

FEATURES
- True 3D editing, no 2D views required
- High performance renderer with support for huge maps
- Vertex editing with edge and face splitting that will not create invalid brushes
- Manipulation of multiple vertices at once (great for trisoup editing)
- Smart clip tool
- Move, rotate and flip brushes and entities
- Precise texture lock for all operations
- Smart entity property editors
- Graphical entity browser with drag and drop support
- Comprehensive texture application and manipulation tools
- Search and filter functions
- Unlimited undo and redo
- Point file support
- Automatic backup
- Support for .def and .fdg files, mods and multiple wad files
- Free (as in beer) and open source (GPLv3)
- Cross platform (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux supported)

Check out a video of TrenchBroom in action here.

You can download the editor here.

If you would like to give feedback, please do that in this thread. If you find a bug or have a feature suggestion, please submit them at the issue tracker.

If you are wondering where the Linux binaries are then sorry, but currently there are none. The Linux version has a few problems which I could not fix before this release. I will get working on those right away so that the Linux version should be available in a couple of weeks, too.

Finally, I would like to thank necros for all his work over the past year. Without his tireless efforts, TrenchBroom would simply not exist. Or it would suck.

Alright, enough of this. Have fun with the editor!
goldenboy

Re: The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Post by goldenboy »

Looks very cool. Any chance at q3 .map and shader support, or will it stay quake 1 "exclusive"? :wink:

Does it output standard Quake .map format or Valve220 format?
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Right now it outputs standard Quake maps. It will read Valve 220 maps, but it will disregard the per face texture axes. I would certainly like to support Quake 3, but I would need someone who knows the format well and who would be willing to test the editor as I'm not familiar with Quake 3.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

For releases you should provide a source zip -- downloading 64MB of git repository is a pain compared with a 10MB (pure guess) source package.

Anyway, congratulations on your 1.0 release, I can see a lot of work has gone into this program. I personally work on a cross-platform editor for a similarly ancient game (DOOM) and know that this can be a rather unexciting and thank-less space to work in.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice... Great job, looks very intuitive and agile.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

After a few minutes of playing, it's a pleasure to use.

Issues:
I couldn't select path_corners except with a selection brush. Most other point entities were easy to select.
When selecting a subdirectory to search for entity models, the selected directory is searched, but the wrong dir name is displayed. One directory above alphabetically is displayed. For example, if I pick "quoth", "qonquer" will display.

Feature request: make clip brushes and similar types about 50% transparent to see what's going on behind.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

andrewj wrote:For releases you should provide a source zip -- downloading 64MB of git repository is a pain compared with a 10MB (pure guess) source package.
You're right. The repository contains 3 years of history, two rewrites, and a bunch of now useless binaries. Once I automate the release process, I will add a source dump to the downloads.
andrewj wrote:Anyway, congratulations on your 1.0 release, I can see a lot of work has gone into this program. I personally work on a cross-platform editor for a similarly ancient game (DOOM) and know that this can be a rather unexciting and thank-less space to work in.
I was very luck in that I found someone who constantly beta tested the editor and who gave me a lot of feedback, so it wasn't that thankless a process for me! Is your editor available somewhere?
qbism wrote:I couldn't select path_corners except with a selection brush. Most other point entities were easy to select.
Are you using a custom entity definition file or one of the builtin files?
qbism wrote:When selecting a subdirectory to search for entity models, the selected directory is searched, but the wrong dir name is displayed. One directory above alphabetically is displayed. For example, if I pick "quoth", "qonquer" will display.
I have seen that bug before and thought it was fixed. I have scheduled this for the next release.
qbism wrote:Feature request: make clip brushes and similar types about 50% transparent to see what's going on behind.
That's already on my todo list: https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom/issues/341

Thanks for the feedback!
SleepwalkR

TrenchBroom 1.0.2

Post by SleepwalkR »

Changes
- Fix issues with texture caching when removing wad files.
- Correctly display long spawnflag names.
- Improve clip plane guessing when less than 3 points are available.
- Fix crash when calling "Center Camera on Selection" when nothing is selected.
- (Hopefully) fix off by one issue in the list of mod directories in the map properties dialog.
- Add option to disable instanced rendering.

About the last issue: If the editor goes bonkers when you activate vertex mode, it failed to properly detect whether OpenGL instancing is supported by your driver. In this case, go to the preferences and choose "Force off" from the instancing mode dropdown list.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I would test q3 .maps with this editor; I'm not a coder though and don't know the format itself too well.

Can I suggest looking at Hexen 2 support as well? If this editor supported H2, I would potentially want to actually map for it. The other alternatives (Quark?) for H2 mapping don't suit me at all. The lack of H2 map editors is a major reason why nobody maps for it.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

OMG iv been waiting on this. i cant wait to try it downloading now!
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

goldenboy wrote:I would test q3 .maps with this editor; I'm not a coder though and don't know the format itself too well.
Okay. I'll get back to you when I start on the Quake 3 support, but it'll be a while.
goldenboy wrote:Can I suggest looking at Hexen 2 support as well? If this editor supported H2, I would potentially want to actually map for it. The other alternatives (Quark?) for H2 mapping don't suit me at all. The lack of H2 map editors is a major reason why nobody maps for it.

Maybe ;-).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

does this editor not have a compiler? i havent been able to find the compile option for my map. (iv made a quick test map)

but so far! im loving this more than i ever did worldcraft! amazing work! i love the 3d grid lines, i love how you can see all of the models directly in the editor. i love how smooth it is. it will take me a little bit to get more used to the controls. but i would say my only complaint is the copy/pasting. would be nice if i could just grab an existing object and drag it to a place id like it copied. the only way i could figure out how to copy was ctrl + keys. which pastest the object in a random near by location.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

ceriux wrote:does this editor not have a compiler? i havent been able to find the compile option for my map. (iv made a quick test map)
No, the editor doesn't come with builtin compilers. It's on my todo list, but it's not a high priority.
ceriux wrote:but so far! im loving this more than i ever did worldcraft! amazing work! i love the 3d grid lines, i love how you can see all of the models directly in the editor. i love how smooth it is. it will take me a little bit to get more used to the controls. but i would say my only complaint is the copy/pasting. would be nice if i could just grab an existing object and drag it to a place id like it copied. the only way i could figure out how to copy was ctrl + keys. which pastest the object in a random near by location.
You can hit Ctrl+D to duplicate the selection.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Crashes hard for me. The unhandled exception windows were blank, so heres what I took down from TrenchBroom's console before it died:

Code: Select all

unable to compile EntityModel.fragsh, compilation output was:
ERROR: 0:1:": Version Number not supported by GL2
ERROR: 0:31:'*': wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const int' and a right operand
ERROR: 0:31:'clamp': no matching overloaded function found
ERROR: 0:31:'assign': cannot convert from 'const float' to 'FragColor 4-component vector of float'
Something tells me that the Mobility Radeon X300 in my laptop is too outdated to run this. :/
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Something tells me that the Mobility Radeon X300 in my laptop is too outdated to run this. :/
Sorry, but yeah.