Idea for a cool Quake1-program

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
CocoT

Idea for a cool Quake1-program

Post by CocoT »

You know what'd be kind of cool?
A program which would compare all your QC code with an un-edited version of QuakeC. The idea being that, from the start, you would have used a "standard" version of the latest which the program would know (maybe a clean version of QuakeC could be included with the program). The only thing the program would do would be to scan for differences and highlight (like, in color and bold) all the additions (and possibilty substractions? (maybe in another color and underscored?)).
The point of the program would to help people to easily "get back in" code that they neglected for while, you know, the sort of mod we put on the side and then, when we look at it again, we realize it's almost impossible to work on it because we don't remember where is what and what we changed. Possibly, this could also help people quickly figure out how other people have coded their mod if they have access to their code.
I'm totally unable to code this, but I know there are people here who can... What do you think?
Entar

Post by Entar »

... WinDiff? :roll:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

WinDiff is proprietary, non-free and 16-bit (can not run on xp64) M$ ware.
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

hax
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I was thinking about adding something like this to QuAdEd...but I'm unsure of my approach (I was just gonna swipe some code from WinMerge, but it's way too complex and icky c++). Personally I use Beyond Compare 2 for this task (and related tasks, like merging Token 2 changes)
Tei

Post by Tei »

FrikaC wrote:I was thinking about adding something like this to QuAdEd...but I'm unsure of my approach (I was just gonna swipe some code from WinMerge, but it's way too complex and icky c++). Personally I use Beyond Compare 2 for this task (and related tasks, like merging Token 2 changes)
While you are at it. Add stuff to do reformulation: rename function names and variables globally. You can even add a menu with name "Reformulation" and two items "Rename function" "Rename var"
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Thems some badass ideas, and I dont even code.