What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Re: What are you working on?

Post by frag.machine »

hogsy wrote:Yeah I agree, he doesn't have much of a badass look like the original Quake guy had.
^^ this. frag.machine does not approve too :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Some of those models are really good, and some others are also good but seems to deviate too much from the original models.

A good test is to put them ingame, and use some engine commands or a small QC mod to freeze the time and replace one model with another, while all other parameters of the entities (like angles, position, frame number, etc.) are kept the same. In my experience, it's the only way to ensure enough fidelity.

Sometimes a replacement model can look really good and accurate in the editor, but when we put it into the game there are some subtle differences that makes it look unrelated to the original model, instead of looking like an evolution of it.

By the way, this is one of the strong points of qME. Being able to import and merge the old models so we can compare and adjust frame-by-frame the new mesh to the old one helps a lot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Nothing much, just something to make the best multi-platform modeling program into an acceptable mapping program :)
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

almost got the texturing bits worked out?

Looks excellent, nice to see an entities list!
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

I believe vrav is working on a modal operator for texture manipulation (he was talking about it, anyway), but texturing on imported maps seems to work (face uvs are setup using the same algo as glquake). I've just gotten the add-entity menu to actually do something from non-brush entities :). I'm still considering what shape to use for the default brush-entity (right now, I'm considering using a tetrahedron: a pretty unusual shape in quake).
qbism

Post by qbism »

taniwha wrote:Nothing much, just something to make the best multi-platform modeling program into an acceptable mapping program :)
Awesome. I've recently been learning more Blender, trying to animate a model formed in wings3d. Minifig cowboy:

taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Heh, that looks like quake-scale :)
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I've made a Slender game similar to the Original. If you don't know what Slender the game is, its a horror game made in Unity. I basically made my own version of it in Darkplaces, everything from scratch except for some free sound effects. I'm pretty proud of the outcome, and learned quite a few new things! I would also like to note I released a playable version of the game within 5 days.

Here it is if you want to try it
http://www.mediafire.com/?nczxjl4z6lge3jv
qbism

Post by qbism »

Slender: This has succeeded with an erie atmosphere. If this is just a concept without future development, well done, no need to read the rest of this paragraph :wink: But I hope to see more. Now... the moon is out, there should be enough light to see outdoors without the flashlight rather than everything being totally black. At best I was able to get three of the pages before the batteries went dead. I think I located 5 of the pages overall after 4 game plays, unless placement is randomized. Bigger pages would be a bit less difficult and easier to read. Sometimes a page was snatched up before I got close enough to read it. The map should be a smaller area with everything pushed closer together, or let the player walk faster. I held down 'W' the entire time. The 'taken' effect was cool.

Despite criticism, Slender has potential to be a spooky mystery without the need for monsters to pop-up around every corner. Barista 2, the concept game based on Quake 2, would be a good reference.
r00k

Post by r00k »

qbism wrote:
taniwha wrote:Nothing much, just something to make the best multi-platform modeling program into an acceptable mapping program :)
Awesome. I've recently been learning more Blender, trying to animate a model formed in wings3d. Minifig cowboy:

Reminds me of Indiana Jones ;)
mh

Post by mh »

qbism wrote:

Looks like an Ampelmann to me:

We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

taniwha: poke me if you finish your blender mapping thing, I'm interested in trying it.

However, it's going to be hard to beat the combination of Radiant for high-level mapping and Blender for static models that I'm using now.

Is there an automatic grid, for instance?
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

qbism wrote:Slender: This has succeeded with an erie atmosphere. If this is just a concept without future development, well done, no need to read the rest of this paragraph :wink: But I hope to see more. Now... the moon is out, there should be enough light to see outdoors without the flashlight rather than everything being totally black. At best I was able to get three of the pages before the batteries went dead. I think I located 5 of the pages overall after 4 game plays, unless placement is randomized. Bigger pages would be a bit less difficult and easier to read. Sometimes a page was snatched up before I got close enough to read it. The map should be a smaller area with everything pushed closer together, or let the player walk faster. I held down 'W' the entire time. The 'taken' effect was cool.

Despite criticism, Slender has potential to be a spooky mystery without the need for monsters to pop-up around every corner. Barista 2, the concept game based on Quake 2, would be a good reference.
Thanks for the feedback! Now answer time :)
This game was really just a test for myself to see how much I could do in a period of time. I had a goal and wanted to see how fast I could make it. I am making updates for the game(The one I posted was 1.1). As for the moon, there is a bit of moonlight in the map. If you turned your flashlight off and went to the beginning of a building entrance, you can see a tint of blue before it shades off into darkness. I'll take your advice and make the map a bit brighter though.
About finding the pages, there is about 11 places pages can spawn. 7 of those spawn points are located by land marks(house, building, rusty water tank, rock, etc). I will most likely end up putting the pages on the walls like the original for easier visibility, and I could make the pages have to be clicked before picking them up, allowing players to read them. Along with finding pages, I will add more landmarks so that the remaining 4 pages aren't by trees, making it nearly impossible to find them.
For getting around the map my friend, hold SHIFT and you can sprint.

I appreciate the critisism and thanks for trying it!
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Mexicouger : :O ¡Really nice !
I enjoyed the game! The dynamics of the original Slender is quite tedious and opressive :) you captured perfectly the trend. If I can make criticisms of Slender gameplay should not be made to you, but to the original Slender. Anyway, I think that you can change fog generators for ground-fog of Darkplaces. And the map may be a little more complex without losing performance of Darkplaces (if you use q3bsp, you can use metashaders and a nice terrain) If you want, I would be glad to help in the project with mapping, coding a menu and some other stuff :)
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I am using Quake3 bsp for the map. However, I'm not familiar with using shaders. The only shader I made was the skybox shader, and thats it. The project really isn't one that I was planning on making big, kind of a 1 man project. But if you have some advice on shaders you can give me that would be great!(Or anything else, I really want to learn as much as I can). Thanks for trying it out and be sure to pickup version 1.2.

-map is now a bit brighter
-Pages are now on walls, not the ground
-Pages now illuminate a small light, making them easier to find
-Pages now need to be clicked on to be picked up

http://www.mediafire.com/?9r7dvkqasrv73k5

Thanks for the critisism!