Video Capture Enhancements

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Re: Video Capture Enhancements

Post by Baker »

qbism wrote:What codec packs are people using? I've been using klite because it plays just about anything with the included media player, but I notice that not all the fourcc codes are available to Quake.
There are encoders and decoders. Just because you can play the video, doesn't mean you can encode it. In Windows Media Player, click help and then "About Windows Media Player" and then click "Technical Support Information" and it displays video codecs. You aren't going to find something magical that you haven't heard of, but you can play with them.

At some point, I'm probably going to convert this to C and see if I can speed up video capture by bypassing glReadPixels because this is a massive bottleneck in the video capture.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/104 ... -Clipboard
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

i newer use any codec packs :) i use ffmpeg for encoding (own build has all codecs known to man hehe).
and smplayer2 for decoding (all codecs internally as plugins and can be extended with new ones pretty easily).

a great free video editor i can promote is avidemux it uses x264 as default but can also handle xvid theora etc.
get one of the svn versions which have several bugfixes.
Productivity is a state of mind.
qbism

Post by qbism »

I implemented the original Baker Joequake video tute awhile back, in software engine. I'm going to see if it can be improved to pick up gamma and stretch-by-two. Currently Movie_UpdateScreen in movie.c does the work of capturing the screen, but that occurs prior to application of gamma and stretch... those occur in vid_win.c. Maybe can be accomplished by moving the work to Flip_Screen in vid_win.c.