textures2quake: Takes high res textures --> Quake/Half-Li

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

One thing that I wanted to suggest and already forgot about:

If a texture set provides _gloss, _bump, _etc files, it would be good if the "root" of the name could be saved. Or renamed accordingly. Maybe have a list of the common _map suffixes and a checkbox?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Baker

Post by Baker »

Spirit wrote:One thing that I wanted to suggest and already forgot about:

If a texture set provides _gloss, _bump, _etc files, it would be good if the "root" of the name could be saved. Or renamed accordingly. Maybe have a list of the common _map suffixes and a checkbox?
I'm thinking about the best way to handle the above. I want those preserved obviously.

Really, I also want any _luma or _glow textures as fullbright in the Quake wad texture. I know I can do it, but it would be a fair bit of work.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Baker

Post by Baker »

Some mild texture utility that I'm not sure has a purpose except for my own personal use.

I wanted to play around with blended textures in Quake (which can't do it naturally) after reading a Q3 tutorial posted @ Func by Sock.

I wanted the ability to do it real fast (like single click) with automatic sizing without having to think.

Download: http://www.quake-1.com/docs/textures2qu ... v0_1_0.zip

It only does this, but I'm thinking of growing the features in a vague and somewhat undefined future. I didn't put too much effort into this tool, I'm sure if you try hard enough you can figure out some way to crash it like loading a 8x8 pixel image or something. It doesn't enforce a palette on the image, you'll have to change it to the Quake palette yourself (probably the next version of this ... if I make a next version).

[Source code included in download zip]
Last edited by Baker on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

That's an interesting feature; nice.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

You rock!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

thats hawt
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

It would be great if the app could create an WAD with the converted textures. :roll:
Baker

Post by Baker »

Click File-Import in TexMex. Press CTRL-A to select all textures in the folder and then you save the file. Viola!

If you don't have a texture manager like TexMex or Wally, how are you going to map? You almost always need to make at least some textures yourself and often many.

File->Import

Go to your folder, press CTRL-A to select all files.

Click open ...

JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Well, Baker, if that's the case:

1) Convert the quake palette to the Photoshop format.
2) Open your texture.
3) Create a new action and start recording.
4) Go to Image > Image Size and reduce width and height 50%. Choose the resampling method that you prefer.
5) Go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color and choose Local (Perceptual) or Local (Selective). Specify 256 colors and choose the Quake palette on the "Forced" option.
6) Stop recording.
7) Go to File > Automate > Batch, choose your recorded action and specify file parameters (the folder containing textures, etc.).

That's your little program reduced to a Photoshop action. When i suggested the feature of creating the WAD, i wanted to help you make your program more complete. It's not that i'm lazy or don't know how to create an WAD. But you had to be like that, hm? It's sad, if you could accept suggestions a little better, this could be a much better app.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Well, JasonX. Baker was giving you a highly detailed and easy suggestion how to create a WAD from the files after you asked like an ass (at least that is what the :roll: emoticon means for me). You do not seem like a very nice person.
Baker

Post by Baker »

JasonX wrote:But you had to be like that, hm? It's sad, if you could accept suggestions a little better, this could be a much better app.
I think you must have misunderstood my post, I wasn't rejecting your idea. I was posting how to use common Quake tools for your benefit or anyone else that reads the thread.

Your idea will happen far better than you had ever imagined, but not in this project. Worldcraft 3.3 Quake Adapter 2 -- and remotely possibly a similar project I might do for NetRadiant in regards of only texture conversion -- will allow you to transparently map with high resolution replacement textures.

But this is a tool for mappers. Mappers micro-manage their works and always have a WAD editor.

I should say, I need to release textures2quake version 0.2 because I've rectified some small issues (Quake minimum texture dimension is 16, not 8 ).
Baker

Post by Baker »

Add:
JasonX wrote:Well, Baker, if that's the case:

1) Convert the quake palette to the Photoshop format.
2) Open your texture.
3) Create a new action and start recording.
4) Go to Image > Image Size and reduce width and height 50%. Choose the resampling method that you prefer.
5) Go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color and choose Local (Perceptual) or Local (Selective). Specify 256 colors and choose the Quake palette on the "Forced" option.
6) Stop recording.
7) Go to File > Automate > Batch, choose your recorded action and specify file parameters (the folder containing textures, etc.).

That's your little program reduced to a Photoshop action.
The texture resizing part of texture2quake isn't the important part. You can resize and palettize textures in IrFanView or Paintshop Pro or GIMP or Photoshop.

And most of the textures will display in an image editor, but won't actually work in Quake.

First, textures in Quake must be 15 characters or less in size. Since this limitation doesn't exist in Quake 3 or most other potential texture sources, a method to deal with that issue must be developed.

And only certain texture dimensions are globally compatible with Quake. Resizing a texture 50% maybe coincidentally hit acceptable dimensions, but that is going to be rather rare. A texture size of 100x100 isn't valid in either WinQuake or GLQuake, for example. Neither is an odd number texture size. 16 is the lower size limit, etc.

http://www.celephais.net/stuff/texturefaq.htm

Case in point: Most of these file names are too long using Nexuiz as an example:

Renaming files and checking the size of every single texture in a group of 1400 textures isn't on anyone's list of "fun" things to do. :D
Spirit

Re: textures2quake: Takes high res textures --> Quake/Half-L

Post by Spirit »

Just ran this on Sock's new set: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/materials/ ... /index.htm

I did not like the random new filenames so I renamed the few files that needed it manually. Maybe dropping vowels in the last string (underscore being a delimiter) first might be a good automatic attempt to reduce length?

And I think there is a bug, if any renames are needed, it will print all filenames to rename_log.txt, even those that were not renamed.
Baker

Re: textures2quake: Takes high res textures --> Quake/Half-L

Post by Baker »

Spirit wrote:And I think there is a bug, if any renames are needed, it will print all filenames to rename_log.txt, even those that were not renamed.
That isn't a bug, but rather thorough documentation (to establish a 1:1 ratio between originals and -- for instance --- external textures). But I see what you mean there.
mankrip

Re:

Post by mankrip »

mh wrote:
Spike wrote:
mh wrote:255 is always safe for alpha though.
unless its conchars.
Or sky, for that matter.

Dontcha just love wacky non-standard Quake formats?
Which is why I've made Makaqu convert all "index 0" pixels to the index 255 upon loading such textures, and changed the whole renderer to only render the index 255 as transparent. Thus, anyone can use either of those indexes to define transparent pixels in those images, so artists can just use the index 255 for transparent pixels in any image. I've never seen any mod using the color 255 for non-transparent pixels anyway.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube