Adding a weapon to the 3rd person quake guy

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
thommoboy

Adding a weapon to the 3rd person quake guy

Post by thommoboy »

this is (hopefully) one of my last questions

how would i add my custom plasma cutter to the quake guy in third person
leileilol

Re: Adding a weapon to the 3rd person quake guy

Post by leileilol »

inb4blindkids

A gunless player.mdl, a gun animated to player frames' accordingly (like Quake2 p_ weapons), and a movetype_follow QC extension supported for the task to be easily done.
i should not be here
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

yeah... wait what im not a modeller these are my first models ever :P

can you explain in english :P
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Is that Sketchup? It's amazing you're trying to make a weapon with that tool! I reccomend you blender. It's free, it's powerful, it's awesome.
Anyway the model is not bad. Keep it work adding some detail
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

leileilol wrote:inb4blindkids

A gunless player.mdl, a gun animated to player frames' accordingly (like Quake2 p_ weapons), and a movetype_follow QC extension supported for the task to be easily done.

uhhh an example please? like as in caqn you do an example with quakes shotgun?
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Assuming you're engine doesn't support attachments (md3s or HLmdls) you would need to make your weapon model match your player model's frames, spawn the P_weapon, we'll call it, as a new entity and its owner be the player. And have the P_weapon's think update its origin to equal the player's origin, as well as the angles and frames, and have it update every frame or twice a frame. Its quite an easy thing to do, but for a beginner, it serves challenging.

Also, I assume you are making a Dead Space-like game, so you don't need to worry about visibility in first person, but if you do this in the future there is an extension to hide the third person gun for the client.
Baker

Post by Baker »

thommoboy wrote:
leileilol wrote:inb4blindkids

uhhh an example please? like as in caqn you do an example with quakes shotgun?

Error made this:

DarkPlaces: http://projects.slipgateconstruct.com/vweapon_framer/
As I recall there is no CSQC in it for the model placement, but uses a couple of DP extensions.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

is this psp compatible?
Baker

Post by Baker »

thommoboy wrote:is this psp compatible?
You could look at the required extensions in that QuakeC code and identify which ones it needs.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

i dont get it :(
Baker

Post by Baker »

thommoboy wrote:i dont get it :(
Think of the answer as being "no" for casual purposes.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Find a mod that already has it and study it, and the weap and player models. OrionTF mod is one. The road is long.
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180

Scroll down, Jukki wrote how he did it in Nazi Zombies PSP...
You just need a weaponless playermodel and the 3rd person weapons animated to match the playeranimations (hard work)..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

dr_mabuse wrote:http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180

You just need a weaponless playermodel and the 3rd person weapons animated to match the playeranimations (hard work)..

it's not hard work, if you've made your own skeleton . just import your weapon model, delete the player model, rig it to the players hand, and done, compile.
Baker

Post by Baker »

dr_mabuse wrote:http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180
Ah thanks for pointing that out ... I forget things so damn fast (because of the amount of stuff I've been trying to learn lately. 3D maths, 3D maths, more 3D maths ...).

However, that code from Solitude that Jukki posted looks like it requires EF_NODRAWTOCLIENT (see the QuakeC). I don't know of a PSP engine with that as one of the features. Although that is not exactly a complex engine modification, it still requires engine modification.