Modeller Wanter (Is this allowed?)

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
leileilol

Re: Modeller Wanter (Is this allowed?)

Post by leileilol »

what's this topic about again

useless petty psp scene infighting brought over to our beautiful calm site?

and people wonder why we hate the psp scene. page #2 could've been potentially helpful and not so discouraging.
i should not be here
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

sniperz227 wrote:
thommoboy wrote:oh yeah ill give up and end up nothing like you :evil:
I Dont think redesigning a whole engine is giving up btw dusters probably one of the best qc coders in the psp scene...
Its not about that we want you to give up. We are trying to make you ser that you have chosen wrong point to start. You should first create some tiny modificatins by your self. Of course asking is not tabo. But i have watched your moddb page, and it seemd that all you have ingame os from here (and i dont see any credits btw). Also coping a game from console to verh low end plaftform is definetly worst place to start (i know i am not the best person to talk about this but i can tell. It would have been lot easier to start from elsewere)

Second thing we want you to understand is that posting games that havent even started realy yet to moddb (and ten asking for help) is not the right way to go. You should have alot of stuff done allready when publishing the game. Also quiting a game because of baz comments, saying you was a noob then is sad tying because it makea thouse whi waited for the game sad. They belive they sre going to get something nice to their psp and then you stop making it blam - reputation gained

Also dont blame your friends. I am 100% sure you took that model yourself. I have done this alot back ten, i still do it in realife too. Just admit that you did it. Blaming your friends and threatig to kill them makes you look even more inmature.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

thommoboy wrote:oh yeah ill give up and end up nothing like you :evil:
What's that supposed to mean? :shock:
r00k

Post by r00k »

Seriously, all this misguided enthusiasm :|

Often and common, young people will find something they enjoy, and show it off to their friends to make them exulted.

The life learning lesson here is, if it's worth doing, do it for your self, and through your efforts, others will contribute.

I'm not bashing the psp modding scene. But, if I was between the age of 13 and 22, and wanted to spend my time modding
for kurok engine driven psp genre, then I'd spend more time learning the QuakeC. You can build a foundation in one failed mod
that will still carry over to the next failed mod. Wasting your time trying to make 4096 poly models with all the bells and hoohah wont make
a mod. You can basically write the game code utilizing sprites for all it matters then the media can be ratified later.
It doesnt have to be so damn over the top, geez!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I remember one of the greatest (and funniest and creative too) mods I ever played in Quake was Spinal's Total Destruction. It didn't have a single customized sprite, yet it was full of awesomeness and great ideas, many very similar to Super Duper Quake btw (maybe that's why I like that mod so much). Spinal just learned QuakeC by himself, then started to code new weapons, powerups, spells and suddenly it was one of the most popular mods here in Brazil. The same can be said about the original CTF, TF, ClanRing and many others. All of them started using only original quake artwork, and later they received visual refinements (custom maps, textures and models).

I really miss the times when people just wanted to create mod with their own crazy ideas, instead of just pulling another bleak and shallow cs-portal-cod-halo clone. That's is a very uninspired generation we have, it seems.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

frag.machine wrote:
I really miss the times when people just wanted to create mod with their own crazy ideas, instead of just pulling another bleak and shallow cs-portal-cod-halo clone. That's is a very uninspired generation we have, it seems.
that is really true
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Not that I feel that my input is needed, since I do consider myself a bit of a noob (just a little bit :P ), but I came into the scene in a very similar way, over ambitious, ask for this ask for that, do this for me, tell me some code so i can copy and paste it and maybe change some variables. But during my quest to become a pokemon master, I learned that you can't start modding right away and expect to come out with a fancy, full featured game. You always have that staring mod, the learning mod that most likely flops, but teaches you so much, and what you've learned from those 1, 2, or 3 failed mods/games can carry over to actually make something very good, something you can't expect out of yourself with a few weeks of practice. I came here for help with iHalo, a mod that was released, but i was never proud of it, then it was help with L4Q, which I am not as proud of as I want to me for the sole reason that I asked for so much help. But Conscript however I am pretty proud of, since it was my 3rd-ish project, I took everything I learned from my fails and triumphs in iHalo and L4Q, and incorporated it there. probably 90% of Conscript's content (mostly weapons) is coded by me, my way.

I guess the main point here is that everyone here is willing to help, when they see that you've put forth the effort yourself, but have come across an obstacle you can't seem to get over. Instead of asking questions like "can someone tell me how to make weapons reload?" ask questions like "I have this bit of code for weapon reloading, and for some reason, the weapon won't refill its ammo and/or update the HUD accordingly" *Paste your code here* There are very few people around here that will take the time to write a reloading code just for you, but there is many people here that can look at your pasted code even just glance at it, and tell you where you went wrong. You won't ever learn if you don't ask the RIGHT questions. You can be amazed at what you can learn just by browsing the tutorials section, several times I've taken the time to just browse almost all of the various tutorials, sometimes not even relevant to my objective. Putting forth the effort FIRST, will get you the help you NEED, which you will then LEARN from it, then you can start applying to you game/mod, and the more promising the mod/game the more people will want to be a part of it.

I've grown up and learned so much from all these great people here, Baker, Spike, c0burn, leileilol, MH, Downsider, Ceriux, frag.machine, r00k, and so many more unmentioned have, in some way helped me become the quake modder I am. Many thanks is given, but not enough in my opinion. Lately I've been trying to give back to the community, helping others in any way I can in subject I'm familiar with. In hopes that I can return the favor(s) that so many have done for me.

P.S. Enjoy my wall of text/rant/enlightenment/tips/useless text :P
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Ghost_Fang is right... :)

And you cant do a Quakemod 100% alone if you are new to Quakemodding...
i have asked many many people for help (simulating weapon overheating, making a knife like in cod and so on...), and also made some thing complete alone the "trial and error" way...
I have also made an own reloading routine for my weapons based on the "Marines Quake" MOD, it doesnt waste your ammo in the clip when you are reloading ;)

On the other side it is ok to ask other people for help, but you should also try to make it on your own ;)
And for the fun: i also sometimes forget easy things like adding "void() KnifeAttck;" to my qc code, and i did that 10000 times before lol...
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

How well did that overheating code work by the way? That was all made up on the spot and is probably in need of some adaption.
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

It works, but it needs some tweaking ;)
It is mainly for the Venom Chaingun and the silenced Sten MK2..
But my QC is a big mess anyway xD
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Well it works, thats good, and I hope I commented it enough for the learning experience of it and you can now tweak it yourself to fit your needs.
You haven't seen messy code until you have seen L4Q's QC source ;) . L4Q was my "im learning all this crap" dummy code.
dr_mabuse

Post by dr_mabuse »

Ghost_Fang wrote:Well it works, thats good, and I hope I commented it enough for the learning experience of it and you can now tweak it yourself to fit your needs.
You haven't seen messy code until you have seen L4Q's QC source ;) . L4Q was my "im learning all this crap" dummy code.
Yes thanks :)

For learning and testign new stuff i always make backups of my QC folder, and i also have a clean 1.06 QC for my "personalized Quake"...
The next step is to teach the bots using semi automatic weapons correctly xD
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Deadspace player model rip.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sniperz227 wrote:that model is def ripped like most your work but what i will help you with is your info first to reduce poly on a player model would mean deleting some faces, verticies and re modelling it from there
err, it could be easier to just weld the verts together... if you knew what you were doing.. but i also don't agree with stolen content.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Somehow you two slowpokes missed this post on page 1
thommoboy wrote:im gonna F**king kill him!!!

And vert welding would be bad for UVs
i should not be here